Improving Game Play!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dragonitti
  • 27 comments
  • 1,463 views
Messages
242
United States
TN
I was just curious to know, that since you have been playing GT4, what little things have you done to highten your game play. I have the DFP, and with that it increased my game play tremendously. Now I just witnessed another level upgrade. I borrowed a projector from work, and OMG! I felt another enhancement in game play. Playing GT4 on the biggest screen possible is and should be everyone's ultimate goal. It's another experience in itself.
 
I know it's a small thing, but this helped me a lot. I had a very old DS2 that was quite worn-out. I bought a new one that was much stiffer and more accurate. It really heightened my GT experience more than you might think.
 
dragonitti
I borrowed a projector from work, and OMG! I felt another enhancement in game play. .

My mate bought a projector and it is so amazing... I'm meant to be going round soon to have a GT4 day on it... 👍 don't know if I can lug the DFP to his place too though...

For me, it's really the sound that is the key... I procured a pair of extra speakers for surround sound, and plug the PS2 into my hi-fi... zipping round Citta Di Aria in the 205 Rally Car with the sound cranked right up really blew me away... :eek:
 
I enhance my game play a bit differently, being a computer geek. I keep detailed spreadsheets of statistics on every car/race and constantly try to beat the last time. I even break the cars down by what mods they have on each race. Sometimes it takes me longer to add in all the stats then it did to run the race, :)

Also every car I buy or win I run through the same set of races and use a formula to rank each car. Not perfect because of all the variables (esp. tires), but a good indicator. (Tracks I use are 1/4 mile, test track, Ring and Cote)

As far as the actual races I always try to use a diferent car each time I run the same race. Sometimes that isn't possible, but 90% or so it is. That gives me more car stats and added challenges that you wouldn't get by always trying to use the "best" car for the race. (I restart the game often, because I like the start of the game better than the end).

Finally I always try for at least 30 a-spec point or more. But I am not yet to the point of a-spec point hunting that some are. <30 points usually makes a boring race...
 
I also have the DFP...Its great!

I build myself a cockpit with a car seat / seat belt...etc....way more real...

But lately, the thing i've done is changing the option:

- no driving aids (done for a long time...)
- no music (also done for a long time...)
- no map (simple view..i think)
- no gear help (simple view..i think)

...anyways, i find it makes the thing way more real...
 
I put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Works a treat :)
 
I pick my nose when I'm playing. I also yell and show my middle finger to my neighbor through my window when the AI is giving me a headache. It's so much like IRL!
 
I switched to the projection television in our house. The whole game was much more clear and the sound was much better. 👍
 
Yes, i've done more things to enhance my gameplay with GT4 than with GT3.

- Bought a DFP
- Built a cockpit
- No more automatic transmission, always on the better manual transmission
- Driving Aids = OFF
- Race occasionnaly on N2-N3 tires (Road, Comfort)
- Do Family Cups and Arcade races set at Difficulty 10 (175 A-spec pts and over)
- Drive more stock road cars than tuned or racing cars
- Simple View (No more Flashing Gear Help, G-Meter, Time, Position and Map)
- Music Off while driving (Still ON in menus though)
- Race online with friends occasionnaly (LAN if you prefer)
- Win credits while at work (B-Spec)
 
Valkendorm
Yes, i've done more things to enhance my gameplay with GT4 than with GT3.

- Bought a DFP
- Built a cockpit
- No more automatic transmission, always on the better manual transmission
- Driving Aids = OFF
- Race occasionnaly on N2-N3 tires (Road, Comfort)
- Do Family Cups and Arcade races set at Difficulty 10 (175 A-spec pts and over)
- Drive more stock road cars than tuned or racing cars
- Simple View (No more Flashing Gear Help, G-Meter, Time, Position and Map)
- Music Off while driving (Still ON in menus though)
- Race online with friends occasionnaly (LAN if you prefer)
- Win credits while at work (B-Spec)

I am doing almost the same except that I am most of the time with comfort and road tires, strong feedback and no power assist on the DFP... and a big fan to cool me down (so ****ing hot in Montreal these days!).

Happy that we can and will again race together, Valkendorm... :)
I am alone the last week of august: Could we do THE big 4 (or more) guys LAN race night (or week-end)?
 
Hehehe, well i've got a friend coming to my apartment this saturday for some GT4 LAN. Maybe we could plan another LAN all together this month. :)

And yes, Montreal is heavy on the temperature this week. Too bad you missed the last one of july which was just fine.

By the way, i'm starting to have a lot of fun with the N3 tires. I raced the old Camaro Z28 against my friend on Trial Mountain today and we putted N3 tires. Pure fun!! :)
 
Did La Sarthe at my Uncle's home theater once... projector, full theater sound (would that be Dolby 10.2 :p ), 8 reclining theater seats and two Lazy Boys... plus so much damn soundproofing that you can crank up the volume...

Was a drinking night with a couple of cousins. Too hard to 2 player... screen... too... BIG! :nervous: ...was a gas watching the LMPs down the main straight... so much vibration and shaking, it'd make you sick.

But since I play at home on my dinky-a$$ TV, enrichment for me is doing laps with the TVR Speed 12 with the TCS off.
 
I have a DFP, but I bought a MC2 wheel to use on some of my games that don't accept the DFP, and also so I could play at night because it is not nearly as loud as the DFP is to use so it doesn't wake up my mom. Also, you can use the pedals from the MC2 (accelerator) as a clutch pedal on Enthusia and TOCA 2, but it enhances every games drifting by using the shifter on the MC2 as an E-brake lever. You do this by setting the MC2 on the table next to you and positioning it backwards so that it's shift lever is next to you and then assigning up shift on the MC2 as the e-brake and it improves my e-brake technique by leaps and bounds compaired to having to find the O button on the DFP.
 
Was going to say, a friend emailed me a link to a cinema chain in Australia, and they are doing Xbox and PS2 nights where you can book the cinema for you and your buddies and go and play whatever you want on the cinema screen...!! :eek:
Can't post the link though, since it's an advert.... but the idea is a good one... maybe we should go and try to persuade our local cinemas to do the same? :dopey:
 
The screen would be bigger than RL :drool:But I don't think the local cinema would let us do that, or it would probably cost $$$$$ :nervous:
 
Touring Mars
For me, it's really the sound that is the key... I procured a pair of extra speakers for surround sound, and plug the PS2 into my hi-fi... zipping round Citta Di Aria in the 205 Rally Car with the sound cranked right up really blew me away... :eek:

I highly recomend headphones. 👍
i actually prefer my sennheiser's to the 5.1 sound.
(+ you can be louder without pissing off the woman in the next room ;) )
 
Is that what you recommend to use in our Holmes, Dr. Watson? :sly: I've never tried that, but I will... thanks for the tip! 👍

That cinema thing by the way, costs $400 Australian (About £200-£250) for 3 hours... very expensive... you'd need so many folk to go in with you that you'd end up with about 15 minutes of gameplay each... 👎 I'll just keep in with my mate Jon who has his own projector methinks...
 
Dr_Watson
I highly recomend headphones. 👍
i actually prefer my sennheiser's to the 5.1 sound.
(+ you can be louder without pissing off the woman in the next room ;) )


That is exactly what I was going to say! I also ditched my 5.1 for my Sennheiser.


HIGHLY RECOMENDED
 
oh, another thing that is highly recomended...
* DO NOT use the composite RCA cable that came with the ps2... its complete junk
a) get component cables if your TV has input for it
b) get svideo if no component is available
c) if a or b is not an option... use the coax, (RF adapter) its still better quality than the unshielded junky RCA cable.
 
bigjoe
I enhance my game play a bit differently, being a computer geek. I keep detailed spreadsheets of statistics on every car/race and constantly try to beat the last time. I even break the cars down by what mods they have on each race. Sometimes it takes me longer to add in all the stats then it did to run the race, :)

Also every car I buy or win I run through the same set of races and use a formula to rank each car. Not perfect because of all the variables (esp. tires), but a good indicator. (Tracks I use are 1/4 mile, test track, Ring and Cote)

As far as the actual races I always try to use a diferent car each time I run the same race. Sometimes that isn't possible, but 90% or so it is. That gives me more car stats and added challenges that you wouldn't get by always trying to use the "best" car for the race. (I restart the game often, because I like the start of the game better than the end).

Finally I always try for at least 30 a-spec point or more. But I am not yet to the point of a-spec point hunting that some are. <30 points usually makes a boring race...



That sounds like many hours spent.... :nervous:
 
Go to my friend's house on a 60" hi-def tv screen. I wish I could afford one of those. A DFP would be cool too.
 
bigjoe
I enhance my game play a bit differently, being a computer geek. I keep detailed spreadsheets of statistics on every car/race

Also every car I buy or win I run through the same set of races and use a formula to rank each car. Not perfect because of all the variables (esp. tires), but a good indicator. (Tracks I use are 1/4 mile, test track, Ring and Cote)

This is exactly what I do except the tests I do is,

0-100km/h
0-160km/h
200-0km/h (braking)
400M
1000M
Tsukuba
Nurburgring

the 400M and 1000M tests I also record the speed I pass the line at (like in real life) and I detail photomode everycar also. Great to compare vehicles together just by checking my data on the computer, it shows well cars various strong and weak points.

The way I look at it is it gives me plenty to do intill GT5 comes out.
 
To improve gameplay, I make sure that my girlfriend is NOT sitting beside me..

otherwise, it's car leading first place.. and car pulling over..(to hell with the race!)

and driver plus girlfriend making noise instead of car..


hehehe!
 
GTmaster
To improve gameplay, I make sure that my girlfriend is NOT sitting beside me..

otherwise, it's car leading first place.. and car pulling over..(to hell with the race!)

and driver plus girlfriend making noise instead of car..


hehehe!


Lol...good answer.
 
First... make sure the wife/girlfriend is gone shopping or to the movies. Then, get several friends with PS2s and TVs (25" ones is enough, just use what you have), get a network hub and a bunch of network cables. Put it all in the same room, get a few beers, and do multiplayer races - one PS/2 and TV per person. There is simply nothing like it - very much worth the trouble... been doing it since GT3.

As an alternative, easier but without as much "party atmosphere", someone posted in this forum about a product called "XLINK" that allows fooling the PS2 into thinking that multiple networks across the internet are really just one LAN. I have not yet tried it... but it sounds interesting (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65171&highlight=xlink).
 
zPhoenix
As an alternative, easier but without as much "party atmosphere", someone posted in this forum about a product called "XLINK" that allows fooling the PS2 into thinking that multiple networks across the internet are really just one LAN. I have not yet tried it... but it sounds interesting (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65171&highlight=xlink).


Yeah, I have just recently tried it myself. It does work, however, the first time I tried it, it was somewhat slow.
 
Back