Improving steering with gamepad

• Thread starter zaxs
  • 26 comments
Croatia
Croatia
samozaxs
samozaxs
Big problem here, how to make steering more precise?

Default advanced settings are personally better to me than 0-100 setup.

What i need is easier holding of racing line i want, not with multiple sharp turns - that are resulting with huge power and momentum loss.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Get one of these:

copy_of_speed_freek_apex_xboxone_profile.jpg

I concur. While I don't use those exact ones, I do use Kontrol Freaks. They've been great with any game that requires precision, be it FPS or 3rd person shooters, and racing games. They may be awkward at first, but take the time to adjust to them and they'll work wonders.

I found one more pair of orbs that I'm using on DS4, tried on this gamepad and it fitted!

Ok, orbs are little too big but not moving around and they are making difference in precision.

Original ones that you posted should make the thing, thanks.

Attachments

• 20171117_193643.jpg
    20171117_193643.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 39
  • 20171117_181813.jpg
    20171117_181813.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 39
Well, I got my Speed Freek Apex for Xbox One from amazon.co.uk. Unfortunately it keeps falling off the left stick on sharp turns.

Hopefully the judicious application of a thick layer of plakky bag between the extender and the joypad will improve its operable parameters to the point of usability otherwise that's sixteen quid down the drain.

Last edited:
Well, I got my Speed Freek Apex for Xbox One from amazon.co.uk. Unfortunately it keeps falling off the left stick on sharp turns.
It shouldn't be doing that unless you're putting a lot of pressure on it when turning.

One thing that might help is to line up the 3 "hooks" at the bottom so that one is pointing left and giving resistance.

I've now got mine on an Elite Controller and I can swap it out easily when I'm painting :)

What I have is called "Thumb Orb Grips" and is originally for DS4.

Here is better photo:

20171122_124202.jpg

While catching Dan on Laguna, I turned off both TCS and SC, so in fact only ABS stayed On.

Driving was much better, but real pleasure came later, in Forza Touring Cars division.

Controller settings are still default, i prefer it more over 0-100, don't know why.

Manual (Edit: just manual), normal steering and ABS on, everything else is off.
And cocpit cam ofc.

Edit: i tried without ABS too, hard to be competitive without wheel.

Last edited:

Hopefully the judicious application of a thick layer of plakky bag between the extender and the joypad will improve its operaboe parameters to the point of usability otherwise that's sixteen quid down the drain.
Mine used to do that on my original Xbox One controller, but only because the socks were worn down.

Mine used to do that on my original Xbox One controller, but only because the socks were worn down.
Mine is less than six months old so maybe those socks are under spec on it.

On this subject... I play on PC with a 360 controller. Is the Xbox One-one any better for racing games?

On this subject... I play on PC with a 360 controller. Is the Xbox One-one any better for racing games?
Better build quality and triggers. For Forza (and other games that support it) you get 2 additional rumble motors within the triggers themselves which can help with throttle and brake control.

Better build quality and triggers. For Forza (and other games that support it) you get 2 additional rumble motors within the triggers themselves which can help with throttle and brake control.
I'm still not sure if the rumble triggers work on PC as well as on X1 if they do at all. The X1 controllers are much more comfortable though due to the springs being more sensitive (caveat: my previous post).

I've been using it since Forza Motorsport 4.

Take note of how I'm not "sawing" at the wheel here:

I just ordered some of those .... hope to match your times PJ ... i always end up behind you in rivals :)
Getting Elite controller for xmas too.... hoping longer sticks help ... i find 'fine' movement tricky

Just got mine and the thing is utterly useless

Doesn't remotely hold on even the tiniest touch it falls off ... not even close to 'fitting' ... it seems too big.
Definitely says XBox One on the box

This cannot be normal?

Yeah that’s definitely not normal.

The 360 ones are larger (I still have mine from 6 years ago) as are the PlayStation 4 versions if I remember rightly.

The Xbox One version should fit both the standard and Elite Controller variants, mine does.

Also, I had a better shipping experience from Amazon than KontrolFreek directly.

I got the 1st set from Amazon so they're going back ...
KontrolFreek's gave me 15% discount off their site so i ordered from them. They helped on Facebook quickly so they're keep to make it right
Discount code was: kfnation15 - might work for other stuff

Plus they were cheaper by £4 anyway so it kinda covered the shipping cost ...

PJ thanks for posting the link. I saw them once before on an elite controller that was special edition but never knew where to order them directly. I just got mine in from Kontrol Freaks for about $20 USD shipped. Looking forward to trying them out on both my normal and elite controllers. If I can just figure out "ABS OFF" braking I'll be set.

If I can just figure out "ABS OFF" braking I'll be set.
If you're on an Elite Controller:
  • Activate the trigger lock.
  • Ingame, set the Deceleration Deadzone Outside to 90
When you brake with the trigger lock, this should put you at about 80% brake pressure (according to telemetry), which is just under the lock limit for most cars.

If you're on an Elite Controller:
  • Activate the trigger lock.
  • Ingame, set the Deceleration Deadzone Outside to 90
When you brake with the trigger lock, this should put you at about 80% brake pressure (according to telemetry), which is just under the lock limit for most cars.

Thanks for the insight. I'm loving this kontrol freak addon already. I've got a thrustmaster tx setup with 3pa pedals and shifter but I rarely drag it out. Anyways thanks again on the abs off braking tip.

I'm returning my SpeedFreek Apex to amazon.co.uk as it's too loose for my pad. I ordered one from KontrolFreek directly but this was even looser. This is also going back to Alabama at my expense. Never again.

I quoted here, where I wanted to ask anyway...

In the controller settings, swap your Handbrake and Clutch, so that Clutch is on A. Then you can press Shift+Clutch simultaneously.

This is what the top players have been doing for many years now.

I was thinking about that, but, I'm using "square-triangle+" for years, so here would be impossible to shift up with Y if A would be clutch.

Latest Posts

Back