In-car adjustments: does PC offer any more options?

• Thread starter dyr_gl
  • 23 comments
Spain
Spain
dyr_gl
I´m a bit underwhelmed by PCARS in the sense that there´s not much you can do setup wise from inside the car in console versions.

Particulary I miss diff options to change them as tyres wear down or weather changes. I know the Thrustmaster F1 rim has loads of buttons that only work for PC (the "advanced" mode won´t work for consoles) and I was wondering if the PC version allows these dials to do anything extra.

In console all you can do is sway bars adjustment in some cars, turn assists on/off and brake bias adjustments in all of them. The brake bias thing is really useful, but I still miss some more options.

So, PC players, do you get something extra to do with all these keyboard / wheel buttons? Can you make diff changes?

Hmmm my f1 rims works just the same on pc/ps4 all the options are the same and all the buttons can be set up just how you want from what I remember there are no extra stuff for the pc

You can map all sorts of things. Depends on the car if they actually do anything though.
A keyboard can't be used as an interface for a console?

You can map all sorts of things. Depends on the car if they actually do anything though.
A keyboard can't be used as an interface for a console?

It can, the problem is that stuff like diff adjustments isn´t even an option you can assign buttons for.

Without a keyboard it gets edgy for sure. I have a regular T500 rim and I run out of buttons SO easily...

You could buy a button box from IGNITION CONTROLS

http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/category-s/145.htm

Works on PS4 and PC.
IT certainly gives you more possibilities.
I have one in service since several months, very helpful...

That looks handy! The select button and the PS button on the T500 can´t be assigned, two buttons needed to start the car, two buttons for brake balance, KERS and DRS if the car has it, look left and right, HUD button... It just doesn´t fit. You can´t have buttons to move the seat, or to play with sway bars if the car allows it.

BTW, anyone that isn´t using the brake balance buttons, DO IT! I gave it a go a while ago and it´s mega useful, these buttons pay off, I even made a video to show how to use it and how it can help with a lot of cars.

That looks handy! The select button and the PS button on the T500 can´t be assigned, two buttons needed to start the car, two buttons for brake balance, KERS and DRS if the car has it, look left and right, HUD button... It just doesn´t fit. You can´t have buttons to move the seat, or to play with sway bars if the car allows it.

BTW, anyone that isn´t using the brake balance buttons, DO IT! I gave it a go a while ago and it´s mega useful, these buttons pay off, I even made a video to show how to use it and how it can help with a lot of cars.

Or you could use a USB keyboard and a 4 port USB hub and assign whatever you want to keyboard. Gives you more options. That's what I use,you can adjust all kinds of stuff. Move seat forward and backward,up,down,ABS,TC,etc. Just assign keyboard to what you want,use some masking tape.

Or you could use a USB keyboard and a 4 port USB hub and assign whatever you want to keyboard. Gives you more options. That's what I use,you can adjust all kinds of stuff. Move seat forward and backward,up,down,ABS,TC,etc. Just assign keyboard to what you want,use some masking tape.

This is what I did. I went to Best Buy and got a USB hub and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, all Insignia brand. I spent $25 total and it works flawlessly. I have my keyboard/mouse receiver and turtle beach headset plugged into the HUB and my T300 plugged into the 2nd USB port on my PS4. The keyboard is propped up next to my wheel to simulate a dashboard of sorts and when I need to type a message I can just set it in my lap to type.

FYI: I bought an externally powered USB hub after being told I needed one for it to work, this is false. My hub is powered and works perfect off USB power from the PS4 so I don't even have the wall power plugged in for less cord clutter.

This is what I did. I went to Best Buy and got a USB hub and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, all Insignia brand. I spent $25 total and it works flawlessly. I have my keyboard/mouse receiver and turtle beach headset plugged into the HUB and my T300 plugged into the 2nd USB port on my PS4. The keyboard is propped up next to my wheel to simulate a dashboard of sorts and when I need to type a message I can just set it in my lap to type.

FYI: I bought an externally powered USB hub after being told I needed one for it to work, this is false. My hub is powered and works perfect off USB power from the PS4 so I don't even have the wall power plugged in for less cord clutter.
I believe it should be USB,2.0 also,friend of mine had issue with 3.0 hub. Same setup I use:tup:

Keyboard works too, but does not give more options. I have all available controls in PCars mapped to the Ignition Control button box (and my Porsche 918 RSR wheel).
I have even two free buttons left for the moment.
The button box is much easier to operate and find the right button (I did use keyboard at first).

As for the USB hub on console: I had a powered USB3 hub for PS3 and PS4, now using it for PC. It depends on what and how much you plug into it, but powerd IS better.

Best solution would be SONY adding some more USB ports to their consoles...

Keyboard works too, but does not give more options. I have all available controls in PCars mapped to the Ignition Control button box (and my Porsche 918 RSR wheel).
I have even two free buttons left for the moment.
The button box is much easier to operate and find the right button (I did use keyboard at first).

As for the USB hub on console: I had a powered USB3 hub for PS3 and PS4, now using it for PC. It depends on what and how much you plug into it, but powerd IS better.

Best solution would be SONY adding some more USB ports to their consoles...

I think it offers the ability to type messages on the PS4, which the button box does not and is a less expensive option which appeals to most people on the PS4 👍

But you're right, all would be solved much easier if we had more than 2 USB ports on the PS4.

I think it offers the ability to type messages on the PS4, which the button box does not and is a less expensive option which appeals to most people on the PS4 👍

But you're right, all would be solved much easier if we had more than 2 USB ports on the PS4.
You're right too:
Typing messages on KB would be a plus. Did not think of that, because I did not do that a lot and used the controller for it.

That looks handy!
It is.
You can't really use it to type messages, but as far as controlling goes, it is more suited than a keyboard.
This is the layout I am using:

BBox.jpg

I have a PS4 and a successfully used a Logitech Wireless keybaord for additional buttons and controls.
Brake bias, seat adjustment, ignition and start and a few others. Which frees up the buttons on the wheel to be assigned better.

Only thing now. Is i want to take it further.

I found on EBay the small numerical keyboards for around $4.00
Curious if i could butcher it up and fit it into a nice box and change buttons to missile switches...
thoughts?

Last edited:
So i got motivated quickly.

i brought 2 numerical keyboards off ebay. Aaanndd..
will see if i can mod it into a box, bit of carbon stickers and make it look cool.

Have a friend who owns an aviation electronics company.. see if he can help me out.
I actually ordered 2 and will see if i can change out buttons for switches..
when theres a will there a way... right. lol
Screenshot_2016-01-05-10-56-11-1.png
Screenshot_2016-01-05-10-57-38-1.png

Must be an issue with thr game. But ive assigned all controls as labelled.

But if i push FRRL+ (Front Anti Roll Bar Fwd) for example. The camera will move left as well.

Its registering 2 inputs. Even tho according to the Edit Assignments page all assignments are correct..

Is this just a PJCars bug that will come good?

Must be an issue with thr game. But ive assigned all controls as labelled.

But if i push FRRL+ (Front Anti Roll Bar Fwd) for example. The camera will move left as well.

Its registering 2 inputs. Even tho according to the Edit Assignments page all assignments are correct..

Is this just a PJCars bug that will come good?
Don't think it is the game. I have FARB and RARB mapped to my IgnitionControle button box, and the controls act normal.

Don't think it is the game. I have FARB and RARB mapped to my IgnitionControle button box, and the controls act normal.

ok cheers. good to know.

I'll play around further. Otherwise ill wait for the other number pad to arrive and see if there is a difference.
Noticed i cant assign the [.] button either.. its not recognised..

Back