In game tire grade match up in real life?

• Thread starter Jimmy_Pop
  • 5 comments
United States
Minne-snow-ta
Nukedogger86
nukedogger
Hello Kaz (or anyone on PD staff that knows),

My question has a lot of speculation around it here at GTP.

"What does each of the tire grades in GT6 represent or match up to in real life?"

What we know for certain is that PD had worked with Yokohama to get the tire model.

GT uses a generic tire model. A Sports Hard is a Sports Hard on a 63' Vette and a 2014 GT-R and every other car in the game even though the tire technology of each era is completely different. The changes in grip from car to car come from the chassis physics, not changes to the tire model from tire to tire. On top of that the tires don't retain or shed heat like real tires do, don't respond to camber adjustments properly etc. I thik we can safely say they don't closely represent any real world tire other apart from a few basic charteristics.

GT uses a generic tire model. A Sports Hard is a Sports Hard on a 63' Vette and a 2014 GT-R and every other car in the game even though the tire technology of each era is completely different. The changes in grip from car to car come from the chassis physics, not changes to the tire model from tire to tire. On top of that the tires don't retain or shed heat like real tires do, don't respond to camber adjustments properly etc. I thik we can safely say they don't closely represent any real world tire other apart from a few basic charteristics.
I can see where you are coming from here. I've heard that there is 3 different grades of each depending on the era of the car. I would still like to believe that there is a benchmark for each grade that he/they was/were aiming for.

I can see where you are coming from here. I've heard that there is 3 different grades of each depending on the era of the car. I would still like to believe that there is a benchmark for each grade that he/they was/were aiming for.
There were 3 of each grades of each tire in GT5, normal, C and V rated. I believe I read somewhere they were done away with for GT6 but I'm not 100% sure. Either way it still is a generic tire model because 3 tires can't cover hundreds of cars and there are still issues with heat, camber etc.

Apart from GT6 not-so-perfect approach to this. there is the issue with real life laptimes.

A Nordshleife lap is often done with performance tires, better than those normally equipped.

Regular GTR did it in 7:20 and Nismo with some tweaks and 50HP more managed 7:08 - yes but on much softer tires. (Nismo performance package) On regular tires the difference is of 1-2 seconds.

A little "scam" to sell the "so much better Nismo version" ;) (almost 50k $ more than regular GTR)

So really - without the help of the developer the only thing we can do is match the lap times but hardly know if the tires we are using are close to stock coumpound for particular model.

Apart from GT6 not-so-perfect approach to this. there is the issue with real life laptimes.

A Nordshleife lap is often done with performance tires, better than those normally equipped.

Regular GTR did it in 7:20 and Nismo with some tweaks and 50HP more managed 7:08 - yes but on much softer tires. (Nismo performance package) On regular tires the difference is of 1-2 seconds.

A little "scam" to sell the "so much better Nismo version" ;) (almost 50k $ more than regular GTR)

So really - without the help of the developer the only thing we can do is match the lap times but hardly know if the tires we are using are close to stock coumpound for particular model.
There are too many problems with comparing laps to irl. Gt6 has some flawed physics, allowing a higher top speed, quicker high speed acceleration, and the biggest one is corner speeds. We can push right to the absolute limit even slide through corners when they don't irl.

And you are absolutely right that the only way to know is them (PD) telling us.

Latest Posts

Back