In need of some fairly urgent pc build help

• Thread starter CMvan46
  • 12 comments
Canada
Vancouver, BC
So I just realized I have saved a lot more than I probably needed for school and this weekend only my local computer shop is having a massive sale.

Coolermaster elite 371 case -$30

i5-3750k with Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard - combo price of $300

evga 670 2gb - $310

8 gb patriot viper 3 series 1600 mhz ram - $35 - $10 MIR

corsair cx 430 v2 power supply - $25 - $15 MIR

seagate 1 TB barracuda - $79

LG 21.5 1080p monitor - $99

Keyboard/mouse- $50

Windows 7 - $120

Grand total of $1050 + tax= $1176

My parts list I realize the power supply is rather low on power but when I entered everything in a power supply calculator it came out to recommended of 380w. Should I be going higher to be safe?

Any help is great. The place is memoryexpress.com if that is needed.

NissanSkylineN1
If you're gonna use a GTX670, get something 500W+

Ok. I know OCZ aren't the most highly thought of power supplies but they also have a deal on a 600w 80 plus midstream pro. Any thoughts on that one?

Yeah, I'd go for that one versus the cx30 400w if I'm getting a GTX 670 👍

Just don't expect it to give stable voltages for high overclocks. I think. :lol:

What sharky said. Hell, the 660ti is a 2gb video card. And it can be used for (and i know i'll screw this up) post processing elements that are memory hogs. As refrence, I use 1580MB of memory on GTAIV and that game has a few years on it. :lol:

terminator363
Why a 2GB card? Are you running multiple displays?

Yeah I'm not dead set on a 2 gb card but a evga 670 with lifetime warranty for the price of a 660 ti seems far too good of a deal to pass on. And in the future yes I plan to replace this monitor with 2 slightly larger monitors, that will come when my soon to be fiancee finishes her architectural engineering and drafting program and she is using AutoCAD at that time.

I also plan on buying a SSD, better case and a 3rd party heat sink down the road but I'm on a tight of a budget as possible right now so those I decided to cut back on.

Bought all my parts this morning! They sold out of the 670 unfortunately but I ended up with a 660 ti super clocked instead so off to put this thing together. Will try and update with pictures when I get her together.

Remember that a power supply degrade over the time, so you should always be quite a bit over what you actually need.

Centura
Remember that a power supply degrade over the time, so you should always be quite a bit over what you actually need.

Oh I didn't even think about that. It's built and up and running. The wiring is a disaster inside and is something I'd like to clean up when I've got more time. Installing all the drivers and things right now. I had no idea how much software installation went on with a new machine.

Back