Incident at Indy

• Thread starter Gwenbors
  • 8 comments
United States
Florida
Maniacal_drifter
Not sure if this is quite the right forum, but I thought you all might get a kick out of this, nonetheless.

First a bit of a confessional... I was knocking out the Indy 500 enduro in the Red Bull... It's a boring race and I just wanted to get it done.

Things were going about as you'd expect (a massive lead, constantly trying to avoid lap traffic travelling at a fraction of the Red Bull's ridiculous speed) when on Lap 117, exiting Turn 2 I just barely caught the very left rear corner of the Audi R10. I saw the car start to go sideways, but held on to the Red Bull and took off down the backstretch... Feeling kind of bad for taking out a competitor (yeah, even a CPU, I'm that guy), I was watching in my rear view mirror when I noticed that the Audi was going over.

I'd never seen a CPU car (let alone a full LMP car) go over, so of course I wanted to watch... Looking back I saw the R10 rolling, and then what I can only describe as an explosion. Turns out that as the R10 was going over, the second place R8 caught him at full blast... The R8 must've gotten right underneath him, because suddenly the 10 was about 20 feet in the air.

I've had cars go over before, but never at Indy, never like this, and I've never seen this all unfold among CPU cars (granted with a bit of my "help"). Had it not been for the catch-fence (and the fact this is a video game) that R10 would've ended up in the cheap seats for sure.

Naturally I had to go back an watch the replay after the event. Amazingly, I hadn't even seen this part as I was already long gone, but the R10 continued rolling and flipping for maybe 20 seconds. More than ample time for yet another CPU, the BMW V12, to come barreling out of 2 as well.

Not often I give a tip of the cap to a computer car, but wow.

I genuinely have no idea how it got through there clean. Even watching the replay over and over again, between the speed and the smoke, I still don't know how it happened.

Long story short, the BMW managed to dive through the carnage and even take a lap back from the R8, which was still trying to recover from its own part in the incident.

At any rate, thought about putting this up in the "Racing Stories" thread, but the images that came out of Turn 2 were so compelling, I thought you all might enjoy them here.

Cheers!

Maniacal_Drifter

You'd think the downforce LMPs make would nip this in the bud! Hahahaha great picture story :D

Holy ****, just floats through the air (quite gracefully at first!!). And yea, seems obvious now, reminds me of the other accident at Sarthe before they shaved a particular "hill", with the CLK GTR.

Back