Incident in the Daily N300, was I at fault?

• Thread starter Guffaluff
  • 47 comments
the fastest line through there is just a lift off on the throttle and then ride the curbs flat out like they were monorails. he could have made it legally and if the OP didn't suddenly oversteer and bump him he might have made it. I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and I'm assuming he just lost control but if I was that driver I would have seen it as a brake check, followed up by an intentional closing of the inside line. OP should have left 3/4 of a car width since he wasn't on the inside line anyways.

I agree with you about the fastest line etc, but I have serious doubts he would've made it through cleanly.

That is definitely not a brake check though, and the guy in 3rd should have not been so aggressive. He would have taken 2nd out of that chicane anyway if he had been more patient.

I agree with you about the fastest line etc, but I have serious doubts he would've made it through cleanly.

That is definitely not a brake check though, and the guy in 3rd should have not been so aggressive. He would have taken 2nd out of that chicane anyway if he had been more patient.

3rd place was definitely too aggressive. I'm not absolving him at all, just a comment on wether or not he could have made the turn. I commented way earlier in the thread about how both drivers played a role in the collision.

if that was me behind the OP, his earlier braking would have freaked me out but I would have braked hard to the inside hoping not to hit him. if the OP was posting irregular lines I probably would have kept distance so that I could make that turn sequence at full speed and exit with enough speed to pass him on the straight.

Thanks guys for all your input!

First things first, I was not break checking, I was simply going safe, and admittedly, a tad to slow perhaps. Not slow enough though that I should be penalized, and he can see I'm breaking and has enough time to adjust accordingly, IMO.

I also stress that I wasn't mad at that guy, of course not, I was more so annoyed with the ghosting system not working too well in this scenario. Had he be ghosted a little longer, I wouldn't have get that unfair 10 second penalty and would have time enough to try to make a run to reclaim my 2nd place.

As I said in my post, I felt like the game decided to de-ghost the guy in a very unfortunate moment. In most cases the car would have (and should have) been ghosted through the corner to avoid this.

I think it's safe to say that we both have partial blame in this matter, and the ghosting system made it worse :P

Did not mean for this to become a heated debate.

Happy racing everyone! :D

Cutting the corner like that shouldve given the passing car 8 seconds penalty. From experience.. thats not including the off track limits caused by the colission.. it is always the responsibility of car following to avoid rear ending.. car being passed here would not have anticipated that car being on the inside here as that was facilitated by a car driving through his rearend... shouldnt have been there

@OdeFinn

Here it is from the cockpit view.

I can see that the guy disappears from the rear view mirror and assume he's ghosting, which he was. Plan was to take the curb in the corner, but had I know he would de-ghost right away I definitely wouldn't have taken that line in the turn. I simply assumed the ghosting to last longer.

Thanks guys for all your input!

First things first, I was not break checking, I was simply going safe, and admittedly, a tad to slow perhaps. Not slow enough though that I should be penalized, and he can see I'm breaking and has enough time to adjust accordingly, IMO.

I also stress that I wasn't mad at that guy, of course not, I was more so annoyed with the ghosting system not working too well in this scenario. Had he be ghosted a little longer, I wouldn't have get that unfair 10 second penalty and would have time enough to try to make a run to reclaim my 2nd place.

As I said in my post, I felt like the game decided to de-ghost the guy in a very unfortunate moment. In most cases the car would have (and should have) been ghosted through the corner to avoid this.

I think it's safe to say that we both have partial blame in this matter, and the ghosting system made it worse :P

Did not mean for this to become a heated debate.

Happy racing everyone! :D

Might have been a heated debate, but I believe this is important atm with so many different opinions on what is racing, racing etiquette, racing rules etc. etc.
You had the courage to come out and listen to feedback 👍.

Might have been a heated debate, but I believe this is important atm with so many different opinions on what is racing, racing etiquette, racing rules etc. etc.
You had the courage to come out and listen to feedback 👍.

Thanks man, appreciate it =)

I think you are at fault. Seems clear as day to me, classic dive bombing.

Jerome

I'm going to agree with @Adrenaline , you were the cause of the incident but not out of malice or intent to do so. Definitely looks like you lost control there. The following car should have realized that if they were paying any attention. Appears s/he assumed you would continue to skid wide of the following corner and dove inside as you then swung around.

In F1-speak I'd say incident noted, no further action. In GTS-speak I can see why it would give you a collision penalty based on the limitations of the current algorithms.

I think you are at fault. Seems clear as day to me, classic dive bombing.

Jerome

Hes not the one behind 👍

@OdeFinn

Here it is from the cockpit view.

I can see that the guy disappears from the rear view mirror and assume he's ghosting, which he was. Plan was to take the curb in the corner, but had I know he would de-ghost right away I definitely wouldn't have taken that line in the turn. I simply assumed the ghosting to last longer.

That viewpoint makes it open and shut case.

I guess this seems to be pretty much settled.

Thanks all you guys for your input and thoughts on the matter :cheers:

Happy racing and see you on the track! ;)

“Steaming up the inside and that was only ever going to be contact.”

This video is F1 which isn’t represented in GTS right now - WTCC and GT might be closer series to consider since different stabdards apply - and the analysis seems to be the wrong way round to boot.

In the first overtake, Reubens makes the pass but drives all the way to the outside of the track - the supposed F1 rule is to leave a car width on the outside in this scenario, so in principle that is a bad overtake from Reubens for which I’m sure he wasn’t penalised.

The second incident, rightly or wrongly is just that - an incident. Reubens got enough of his car alongside to require Rosberg to give room - the contact happens before the apex so he wasn’t running wide due to too much speed or bad line. So second one is a racing incident and shared blame is probably the right outcome.

Although that second incident is prescient of Rosberg’s later driving problems - had he just opened his wheel and left room for Reubens, he’d have maintained the position down the inside at the next left hander. Rosberg has never been the best wheel to wheel racer though - he’s a bit too slow thinking I guess.

As far as I know neither scenario in that video resulted in any penalty being applied to anyone involved which is probably the right outcome despite the analysis of whoever made it.

What’s this - have you found this rule written somewhere? I certainly haven’t seen it.

I think in a race, by definition the car in front doesn’t choose the speed of the car behind otherwise there’d be little point of racing.

You have quoted me out of context, I was explaining how this wasn’t a brake check. It wasn’t a brake check, due to the measured and length of time the car in front applies his brakes. In essence the car in front sets their speed (chooses their speed) for any corner it is then the responsibility of the following car to pass by avoiding contact.

This video is F1 which isn’t represented in GTS right now - WTCC and GT might be closer series to consider since different stabdards apply - and the analysis seems to be the wrong way round to boot.

In the first overtake, Reubens makes the pass but drives all the way to the outside of the track - the supposed F1 rule is to leave a car width on the outside in this scenario, so in principle that is a bad overtake from Reubens for which I’m sure he wasn’t penalised.

The second incident, rightly or wrongly is just that - an incident. Reubens got enough of his car alongside to require Rosberg to give room - the contact happens before the apex so he wasn’t running wide due to too much speed or bad line. So second one is a racing incident and shared blame is probably the right outcome.

Although that second incident is prescient of Rosberg’s later driving problems - had he just opened his wheel and left room for Reubens, he’d have maintained the position down the inside at the next left hander. Rosberg has never been the best wheel to wheel racer though - he’s a bit too slow thinking I guess.

As far as I know neither scenario in that video resulted in any penalty being applied to anyone involved which is probably the right outcome despite the analysis of whoever made it.

You’ve missed the point, the video shows approach to track position and sunsequent overtaking.

Lets be clear here the following car assumed track position by driving through the car in front. Had they not ghosted, which is how SR S lobbies operate, then this would have been a shunt. Do you dispute this?

The following car clearly braked insufficiently for the approaching situation, as for apportioning blame, look through all my posts, this is the games fault it has gone wonky. The game caused the contact because of ghosting and then unghosting in a stupid way.

But, just because the following car can get through the corner quicker doesn’t mean he should, his approach to the pass was only ever going to end in contact, one was avoided by the game and the second instance was avoidable if he’d have used his brakes.

Back