Individual gear tune and ideal final drive

• Thread starter Lv2exlr8
  • 7 comments
TeamKyles
I am having problems understanding exactly the best way to find the optimum gear ratios and final drives for a given car and track.

I have read through the tuning guides and various posts on the forum but have yet to find a clear concise way of finding the ideal ratio's. How to the tuners out there find these?

Thanks,
Kyle.

When in the quick tune menu, pay attention to your power/torque graph when tuning your gears. Then the blue lines for gears should be used as a guide to how far up the RPM range they go, if the blue line extends far down, that means when you shift into that gear, you'll be far down the rev range. Tune your gears to try and match the the power/torque graph so you have maximum power and torque through that gear. Once you've done this, tune the final ratio to change your top speed or to play with the gears so you're in a certain gear for a certain turn. You can also basically cut gears off completely by making the final ratio extend your top gear so it is never used which I did on a couple of cars which favoured long gear ratios like a tuned down Dodge Viper/T.

I don't think I can explain this better, but OP is from my area so I will try.

First thing I do, is set the gears as close together as possible. On the adjuster, that's full-left for 1g, full right for 6g. All others in between, nearly evenly spaced as shown on the graph. Notable exceptions are the Golf V and TT, which have goofy gearboxes, use the graph.
Then I take a guess at final drive, keeping in mind the speed range of the track.
Then it's out to test it on track. In most cars, you'll not be using all the gears available due to the limited adjustment range of individual gears. Whether or not you have a standing start is also a factor to consider.
Reduced shifting is good if there is a delay in acceleration during the shift, watch the digital speedometer to see this.

Are you struggling with one car in particular? If so, post it (or PM me) and the event (expert only, please) and not only will I come up with something I will explain my settings as best I can.

Not all cars benefit from closer ratios though, I was once running my Ford GTLM at 800PP with just 4 gears. Doing so allowed the car to accelerate much faster thanks to the shape of the power/torque graph.

Not all cars benefit from closer ratios though, I was once running my Ford GTLM at 800PP with just 4 gears. Doing so allowed the car to accelerate much faster thanks to the shape of the power/torque graph.

True indeed, but this is how I start.

My 650pp HSR Z06 / Tuned is a two-speed.

Most cars do benefit from close gears but the GT/GTLM are notable exceptions. The very broad power curves combined with slow shifting mean these cars do better with a little wider gear spacing.

I try to set my top gear so that I'm almost at the rev limit at the end of the longest straight in the draft. I try to set my lowest gear (usually 2nd) to give me strong pull out of the slowest corner. Then I set the other gears to equal spacing between them.

This is just a starting point. After running a lap or two I will adjust each gear for the specific track. Suzuka I want 3rd gear (usually) all the way through the S's, so I may have to bump up 3rd a little and readjust the spacing for 4th and 5th. For Fuji I want to set 3rd or 4th so that I'm just about at the rev limit when I hit the braking point for turn 5. And so on.

I may also bump up 2nd so that I don't spin the tires coming out of the chicane, etc.

There are many factors in setting up your gears, but basically you run laps and figure out where you are shifting at the wrong time or your car is bogging, and adjust your gears so that your shift points happen just where you want them to happen.

Ok thanks for the tips. I think i'm getting a hang of it more i think i'm still trying to optimize even more.

Specifically i'm using the r34 gtr Nur on the online intermediate AWD daytona test track event(600pp) i think. I drive a bnr32 in real life and this is the closest to it in real life i can get it the game right now. I have troubles keeping up with the Wrx's (07) on the straights and i just want to get it optimized so i can work on my actual lap times and know i'm getting the full potential out of the gear box. I'm running a modded g25 with full custom made race cockpit if it makes a different for tuning or not.

Kyle.

Ok thanks for the tips. I think i'm getting a hang of it more i think i'm still trying to optimize even more.

Specifically i'm using the r34 gtr Nur on the online intermediate AWD daytona test track event(600pp) i think. I drive a bnr32 in real life and this is the closest to it in real life i can get it the game right now. I have troubles keeping up with the Wrx's (07) on the straights and i just want to get it optimized so i can work on my actual lap times and know i'm getting the full potential out of the gear box. I'm running a modded g25 with full custom made race cockpit if it makes a different for tuning or not.

Kyle.
2 things:
1. EPIC CAR
2. There is a R32 GT-R in GT5, on the Nissan Dealer? I can send you one if you want?

Back