Initiate-maintain-fail

Ergo_proxy
Hi guys,

I'm not new to drifting, just drifting in gt5 and i used to use a controller.
Now i use a G25..

My problem is this.
I initiate a drift (mostly a feint drift using a left right or visa versa motion to shift the weight and tap the brake on the second throw to initiate). This goes quite well and can be improved by practice. From that point on i let go of the wheel and grab it when i feel i got the right angle going for me.

At this point i'm drifting past the apex and slowly start to straighten the tires out. But here's where my problem lies. Once the car is straightened out it suddenly snaps in the other direction and spins out.

So basically i'm making a S-turn drift. While it should be a simple 1 turn drift.
I know the weight from the first drift is thrown back the other side for some reason and i dont know how to counter that. Any help or advice is very welcome.

OK what you need to be aware of here is the Throttle. Think of it like a...balance or something. When the throttles down you have load on the rear tires, as you let up on it that moves to the fronts. Load on the front increases steering authority, letting up too much and not steering precisely out of a corner will lead to snap oversteer like you described. Basically you don't want to ease off the throttle too much until the car is close to being straightened out.

As you're coming out of the corner, let up just enough to start bringing the car back in line with the road (if you even need to), and as it straightens out try to coordinate your steering back to center with the movement of the car. It's something you need to do a lot until it becomes a reflex, don't get discouraged as this is a very common thing to have trouble with. It gave me issues when I was starting out as well, and just sort of sorted itself out over time.

Don't forget that drifting is all about adapting constantly, this method isn't going to work for every drift, but as you're learning it should help you understand the process.

let off the throttle completely when correcting back to center, that snap is when your car regains traction and it throws you in the direction of your wheels, have to find the balance of the car, each car does it differently, also tires with more grip will be much more violent when the car regains traction if you're still sideways

Back