Inside Evil: the first chicane at Fraser Valley

• Thread starter Moto54
  • 21 comments
United States
United States
The first chicane at Fraser Valley can be a nightmare! People going for a fast lap have probably tried
every sort of cornercutting and downshifting trick to get it right. Maybe you already DO have it right.
For those scratching their heads though below are a few short vids showing the best way.
I used the chase cam from three different cars so you can get a better view and see how they are similar.

The RUF vid comes from a lap thats global #1 by more than a second,
and the Ferrari vid from a lap thats global #2 by half a tenth.

In all three cars I downshift twice to get through the chicane. All three cars use the same path on
entry, namely- downshift once and brake so the right side tires can cut the corner just
past the diamond shaped yellow sign on the right. This is the key area. There is a deep little dip
in the road right there, and in the vids you see the back of the cars bottom out violently.
If you downshift the second time in that dip-area you seem to get a speed boost.
The idea is to accelerate out of the chicane from that dip onward, and in general control of your car,
as opposed to swerving your way through the chicane and gathering up all the loose ends at the exit.
Heres what it looks like with the RUF:

As far as aggressive cornercutting, its just not possible. It does no good to plow through that
yellow sign, and theres a white metal fence hidden just past the sign you'll spin out on if you touch.
BTW that white fence blends into the backround when youre at speed, so much so that you can bounce off
it lots of times before you even realize its there! Heres the 458 and the McLaren 650:

Its funny because we all want to get greedy at this chicane and try to make it faster than it is. And for
sure its a very important part of the lap. But take care to hit the first half of the chicane 'just so' and
the second half will take care of itself. There is no faster way through..

(thanks again to MeanElf for the leaderboard info, and to the lads down the pub for keeping him hydrated.)

Last edited:
The first chicane at Fraser Valley can be a nightmare! People going for a fast lap have probably tried
every sort of cornercutting and downshifting trick to get it right. Maybe you already DO have it right.
For those scratching their heads though below are a few short vids showing the best way.
I used the chase cam from three different cars so you can get a better view and see how they are similar.

The RUF vid comes from a lap thats global #1 by more than a second,
and the Ferrari vid from a lap thats global #2 by half a tenth.

In all three cars I downshift twice to get through the chicane. All three cars use the same path on
entry, namely- downshift once and brake so the right side tires can cut the corner just
past the diamond shaped yellow sign on the right. This is the key area. There is a deep little dip
in the road right there, and in the vids you see the back of the cars bottom out violently.
If you downshift the second time in that dip-area you seem to get a speed boost.
The idea is to accelerate out of the chicane from that dip onward, and in general control of your car,
as opposed to swerving your way through the chicane and gathering up all the loose ends at the exit.
Heres what it looks like with the RUF:

As far as aggressive cornercutting, its just not possible. It does no good to plow through that
yellow sign, and theres a white metal fence hidden just past the sign you'll spin out on if you touch.
BTW that white fence blends into the backround when youre at speed, so much so that you can bounce off
it lots of times before you even realize its there! Heres the 458 and the McLaren 650:

Its funny because we all want to get greedy at this chicane and try to make it faster than it is. And for
sure its a very important part of the lap. But take care to hit the first half of the chicane 'just so' and
the second half will take care of itself. There is no faster way through..

(thanks again to MeanElf for the leaderboard info, and to the lads down the pub for keeping him hydrated.)

Very interesting read. I have hardly played Fraser Valley but have played Fraser Valley reverse to death where the chicane you are referring to comes as the last hurdle in your lap. As you have already identified, taking this cleanly is the make or break for a fast lap here. Depending on which car I am using I find success depends on how early I come off the throttle and approaching with the best alignment, as far to the left as possible. I can then use minimal breaking, turn and back on the gas for a speedy exit, done well it can easily save half a second or more towards a quick lap time. Like your goodself I hold world records there too!!

I have hardly played Fraser Valley but have played Fraser Valley reverse to death..!

Funny how some tracks are appealing in one direction but not in the other. If you have a track wired it might seem
just as easy to be as fast going the other direction but its not so. Its basically learning a new circuit again. One thing
I wondered though is if there is a 'physics' reason why a track could be faster in one direction than another?
Have you ever wondered if your WR time at Fraser (R) could be equalled by you going the other way around?
What I mean to say is- is one way 'scientifically' faster than the other.

Anyway cool to hear about your WR's. I think between us we have Fraser right where we want it. :)

Funny how some tracks are appealing in one direction but not in the other. If you have a track wired it might seem
just as easy to be as fast going the other direction but its not so. Its basically learning a new circuit again. One thing
I wondered though is if there is a 'physics' reason why a track could be faster in one direction than another?
Have you ever wondered if your WR time at Fraser (R) could be equalled by you going the other way around?
What I mean to say is- is one way 'scientifically' faster than the other.

Anyway cool to hear about your WR's. I think between us we have Fraser right where we want it. :)
I have previously thought about exactly what you are saying and any time I have tried Fraser Valley I have been hopeless!! I think I got a 70,000 odd ranking!! I suspect it's because I would need to invest the time in learning it like a new track. I have checked the records for each with different cars and the times are actually very similar so even though it's a new learn, once mastered the end results are very similar. Let me know what your time was with the RUF and I will have a go at it on my Fraser Valley! :-)

the chicanes in this game are definitely my bete noire, not sure which one is the one that trips me the most, if this one or the first chicane in the black hills or the 2nd chicane in the black hills, hmmmm.... nice writeup btw!

I have previously thought about exactly what you are saying and any time I have tried Fraser Valley I have been hopeless!! I think I got a 70,000 odd ranking!! I suspect it's because I would need to invest the time in learning it like a new track. I have checked the records for each with different cars and the times are actually very similar so even though it's a new learn, once mastered the end results are very similar. Let me know what your time was with the RUF and I will have a go at it on my Fraser Valley! :-)

Ok so at Bandipur, India the difference between normal and reverse is about 1.25 seconds. I dont know why, but for
sure the last corner is very difficult the normal way and easy going in reverse.

But at the end of the day DC is software, and theres no use trying to extract reality from what is essentially
a bunch of code. I might as well ask if there is an ultimate best laptime possible beyond which the program
cannot register. I dont know how they program such things, but I do know that people like progress,
even if its only a fraction of a second here or there. Game theory.

Speaking of game theory I worked my tail off to lower my lap time at Bandipur by an insanely small fraction of
a second last night. Was it worth the time? Subjectively, yes. Objectively, no. If thats not game theory I dont
know what is. BTW look at this blind lefthander. A one-second WR work of art if I say so myself:

Ok so at Bandipur, India the difference between normal and reverse is about 1.25 seconds. I dont know why, but for
sure the last corner is very difficult the normal way and easy going in reverse.

But at the end of the day DC is software, and theres no use trying to extract reality from what is essentially
a bunch of code. I might as well ask if there is an ultimate best laptime possible beyond which the program
cannot register. I dont know how they program such things, but I do know that people like progress,
even if its only a fraction of a second here or there. Game theory.

Speaking of game theory I worked my tail off to lower my lap time at Bandipur by an insanely small fraction of
a second last night. Was it worth the time? Subjectively, yes. Objectively, no. If thats not game theory I dont
know what is. BTW look at this blind lefthander. A one-second WR work of art if I say so myself:

That's driving on impulse, very impressive indeed!!! I must be Mr reverse, I have only done Bandipur reverse where the crazy turn comes right at the start of the lap. I haven't played that course for ages. I got a 104 point something in dynamic weather with the one which I think still has me global first. I think the dry record is a ridiculous 103 dead or thereabouts! I love the tightness of that course, it gives a fantastic sensation of speed. Btw I tried the RUF at Fraser reverse this morning and managed a global number one at 55.330, inspired by you!!!!

That's driving on impulse, very impressive indeed!!! Btw I tried the RUF at Fraser reverse this morning and managed a global number one at 55.330, inspired by you!!!!

Thank you and thats awesome you made a new time at Fraser (R). My best, normal way around
at Fraser in the RUF is 54.506. But you know I have the replay but not a PS4 connected to the net.
Anyway, good one! Always feels great to see the numbers go GREEN at the end of a lap :)

Thank you and thats awesome you made a new time at Fraser (R). My best, normal way around
at Fraser in the RUF is 54.506. But you know I have the replay but not a PS4 connected to the net.
Anyway, good one! Always feels great to see the numbers go GREEN at the end of a lap :)
54.506!!! Wow that is insanely quick. The guy who held the global number one did 55.681 so you are over a second faster!!! He also held global one on FV reverse at 55.985 so we have both knocked him down a peg or two! I think I can get my time to under 55 seconds but 54.5, no way!!! Congrats, that's one I can't see being beaten.

FB_IMG_1434813316223.jpg

Your trip into the 54's reminds me of something.

I had DC for about a week and I had a time I saved in replay because I couldnt beat it. Then I saw
a vid on YouTube of the same car and track and it was almost 2 seconds faster! I felt silly but
his vid (which he said was a WR) showed me how he was faster. I beat my own time by a second
basically right away, and I equalled his time within about an hour. The value of all that was now I
knew what it took to be fast in Driveclub, and I just keep applying that to all the tracks I like.

The same is obviously true for you. You can be dead quick at any track you put your mind to. Do me
a favor and read my last post in the 'Breakdown of a blah,blah' thread. I tried to tell the guy whats
involved in making a strong leaderboard time.

BTW: now YOU are more than a second ahead on the boards at Fraser (R).
I seem to be having a strange effect on you!

Your trip into the 54's reminds me of something.

I had DC for about a week and I had a time I saved in replay because I couldnt beat it. Then I saw
a vid on YouTube of the same car and track and it was almost 2 seconds faster! I felt silly but
his vid (which he said was a WR) showed me how he was faster. I beat my own time by a second
basically right away, and I equalled his time within about an hour. The value of all that was now I
knew what it took to be fast in Driveclub, and I just keep applying that to all the tracks I like.

The same is obviously true for you. You can be dead quick at any track you put your mind to. Do me
a favor and read my last post in the 'Breakdown of a blah,blah' thread. I tried to tell the guy whats
involved in making a strong leaderboard time.

BTW: now YOU are more than a second ahead on the boards at Fraser (R).
I seem to be having a strange effect on you!
Indeed I read that write up before. You break it down and articulate it very well. I must admit I find I learn by trial and error and by following what lines the ghost cars take. There have been times when I've thought "how the hell does he get that speed out of that corner" then I realise instead of breaking heavily he came of the throttle and broke late and gently giving quicker exit speed. I love learning the tracks and trying to gradually improve my times. I am surprised you do so well if you are offline, what helps me improve is seeing what others have done and chasing down their times. I think when I first beat the FV rev with the RUF I was 55.895 but because I knew what you had achieved I believed it was possible to get lower. It's amazing how much is in the mind once you have the basic skills. I tend to do lap after lap until eventually I get into a groove and then you kinda know you are gonna get a damn quick time!! I will have to try Glenmorgan next, haven't played much but not done very well before. Will see if your guide helps! Actually set 3 more world records at FV rev today, I need a new course!!!

I need a new course!!!

What I meant for you to read was the very last post I made on that thread.. not the first one :)

Anyway what about trying a new track we choose together and then sharing our stories here on
the forum as we learn its secrets, in a thread we start. In the end you would have another WR,
and I'll have another cool saved replay. Want to try it? The idea would be to share what we find as
we improve.. not just to learn in secret and post a good laptime.

I prefer a technical new track and not just a flat out run with a few bends in it. And one thats
not a 3 minute monster. But it would be best if its new for both of us. I would love a new challenge
and working out what we can make of it. Suggest 3 tracks and I'll pick one if I dont know it already.
I dont know most of them.. Ive had driveclub since the first week of May.

Lets do it!

What I meant for you to read was the very last post I made on that thread.. not the first one :)

Anyway what about trying a new track we choose together and then sharing our stories here on
the forum as we learn its secrets, in a thread we start. In the end you would have another WR,
and I'll have another cool saved replay. Want to try it? The idea would be to share what we find as
we improve.. not just to learn in secret and post a good laptime.

I prefer a technical new track and not just a flat out run with a few bends in it. And one thats
not a 3 minute monster. But it would be best if its new for both of us. I would love a new challenge
and working out what we can make of it. Suggest 3 tracks and I'll pick one if I dont know it already.
I dont know most of them.. Ive had driveclub since the first week of May.

Lets do it!
That sounds good to me, I prefer circuits to point to point tracks. I will pick 3 that look quite challenging that I haven't played much, if atall. Do you want to choose what car we use?? None of the circuits are more than 2 minutes. Wow you have only had it since May and you are already that quick!!! I got mine in January and it's barely been out of the PS4!

That sounds good to me, I prefer circuits to point to point tracks. I will pick 3 that look quite challenging that I haven't played much, if atall. Do you want to choose what car we use?? None of the circuits are more than 2 minutes. Wow you have only had it since May and you are already that quick!!! I got mine in January and it's barely been out of the PS4!

Ok cool, and I will choose the car. For sure one of the Super Class cars.
I have a long history with racing games, but yeah, I bought my PS4 and DC on the same day in May.
Dude I was once the world online racing champion in the Codemasters game TOCA2 on PC.. for that
I won a $800 steering wheel from the company that made the TSW (Thomas Super Wheel.) But in my
case winning meant I then had two of them :) What controller do you use?

Believe it or not Codemasters even sponsored a hotlap competition of TOCA2 on PC and they gave
out cash prizes! Every week was another chance to win 200 pounds (obviously an English thing.) So
I won that a few times as well. I have a streak of aggression and perfectionism, both together.. it
doesnt always feel healthy, but there you go.

Right, so Ill check later today to see if you picked a track. Do us a favor and take a screengrab of the
current leaderboards for that track and PM it to me, ok? I'll insert it into the thread I start to mark
the beginning of our joint-operations :) Sounds good. Look forward to it.

Ok cool, and I will choose the car. For sure one of the Super Class cars.
I have a long history with racing games, but yeah, I bought my PS4 and DC on the same day in May.
Dude I was once the world online racing champion in the Codemasters game TOCA2 on PC.. for that
I won a $800 steering wheel from the company that made the TSW (Thomas Super Wheel.) But in my
case winning meant I then had two of them :) What controller do you use?

Believe it or not Codemasters even sponsored a hotlap competition of TOCA2 on PC and they gave
out cash prizes! Every week was another chance to win 200 pounds (obviously an English thing.) So
I won that a few times as well. I have a streak of aggression and perfectionism, both together.. it
doesnt always feel healthy, but there you go.

Right, so Ill check later today to see if you picked a track. Do us a favor and take a screengrab of the
current leaderboards for that track and PM it to me, ok? I'll insert it into the thread I start to mark
the beginning of our joint-operations :) Sounds good. Look forward to it.
That's an impressive cv, my history is all the Gran Turismo's back to the first on PS1 about 20 years ago!! I just use the DS4, I did have a wheel for my PS3 but it wasn't compatible with PS4! I've had a look at some tracks, Sinclair Pass in Canada looks pretty challenging (my current standing is about 70,000 so I can't have played it much!!), lots of hills and lots of bends, WR times in Super Class are around the 1-30 mark. You will need to pick a car if I am going to send a screen grab, the leaderboards are either all vehicles or individual car specific, all vehicles top 10 will most likely be all hyper!!

it's pretty cool you picked sinclair pass, one of my most favorite tracks, will be interesting to see what kind of times you are going to get! I've also been wondering why this track of all tracks has every apex marked with an X on the track, weird... for me the hardest parts to get consistently fast are T3 (the middle turn in the S section) and the left chicane after the u-turn after the uphill, a few times I got them just perfect but of course I messed up in other areas that lap, oh well :)

it's pretty cool you picked sinclair pass, one of my most favorite tracks, will be interesting to see what kind of times you are going to get! I've also been wondering why this track of all tracks has every apex marked with an X on the track, weird... for me the hardest parts to get consistently fast are T3 (the middle turn in the S section) and the left chicane after the u-turn after the uphill, a few times I got them just perfect but of course I messed up in other areas that lap, oh well :)
Spot on, it's a track I love the look of but the top times are like "wow how did they do that"! I got a crash free fairly flat out 1.41 and that's 12 seconds of the pace!!! As usual it will be picking up techniques at various points all around the lap, not least the two you mention, wish the chicane was early rather than near the end, I foresee many a perfect lap going to rot there!!

I am sure you and Moto54 will get top times soon :) I ran it with the Ferrari 458 Italia earlier today for fun after reading your post and I got #10 but I am still about a second off the lead, considering that lap I was half a second faster until I messed up one of the last corners I am sure there's plenty of time to be found everywhere!

The Ferrari is a lot of fun on this track, challenging to be clean around the corners and put the power down without powersliding (which is fun but slow :) ), feel free to add me on PSN btw, always enjoy some friendly competition

I am sure you and Moto54 will get top times soon :) I ran it with the Ferrari 458 Italia earlier today for fun after reading your post and I got #10 but I am still about a second off the lead, considering that lap I was half a second faster until I messed up one of the last corners I am sure there's plenty of time to be found everywhere!

The Ferrari is a lot of fun on this track, challenging to be clean around the corners and put the power down without powersliding (which is fun but slow :) ), feel free to add me on PSN btw, always enjoy some friendly competition
Wow it's gonna to take me a while to get top 10, not even top 100 yet, keep at it, would be great if you broke the WR while we do this!! Will add you on PSN. Cheers.

Back