Installing again.

• Thread starter Gdog96
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
England
I'm planning on doing a new install of windows 7, and as there isn't anything on my PC worthy of a back up, I wont be doing one. Well, except my Iracing stuff. Am I right in thinking that, once I re install windows, I can login to the Iracing website again and just re-download all my cars/tracks etc?

Thanks.

Yup 👍 I did just that 3 weeks ago.
As long as you save the iracing folder in 'my documents' and put the contents back after the re-install everything (replays / tunes, etc.) will be right where you expect them to be when you use the site again.

If you are installing Win 7 on the same drive you could always just move the folder after the install as well (but still back it up to be safe) - installing a new win 7 won't deleted it - it just places the old OS and all the windows content in a folder called windows.old. Once you move any old files you want just deleted the old installation.

Thanks Hydro, what I'm doing is changing my boot drive for a bigger one, my Iracing happens to be on the boot drive.

I was thinking of moving the iracing folder onto a memory stick, but I just remembered whenever I try to cut and paste it, it says its open somewhere...any way around this?

Just so you know I'm a complete noob with anything to do with hard drives. :P

Last edited:
Don't put it on a memory stick, that'll make for slower access times.

But the way around that would be to copy and paste instead of cut, so whatever file in use stays there.

Thanks Hydro, what I'm doing is changing my boot drive for a bigger one, my Iracing happens to be on the boot drive.

I was thinking of moving the iracing folder onto a memory stick, but I just remembered whenever I try to cut and paste it, it says its open somewhere...any way around this?

Just so you know I'm a complete noob with anything to do with hard drives. :P

If you mean so that you can transfer it to the new hdd after the windows installation - yes, by all means that is the easiest way to go.
Try right clicking the iracing folder and select 'send to' from the prompt and then select the flash drive. That simply copies the folder to the flash drive and should not produce 'file/folder in use' errors.
Then just copy and paste it into your new 'my documents' once your new and improved computer is working.

SSD...nice 👍 If you do get stuck, feel free to send me a PM. I used to build gaming computers and servers for a living.

Just an update, it all worked and now I'm rocking a 120 gig SSD as boot drive :D, thanks again guys.

Nice 👍
Left888's question has me curious....a 120 GB ssd drive varies between 95 and 125$ from my local supplier.

Latest Posts

Back