Installing savegames and DLC on new PS3

• Thread starter The Dane
  • 11 comments
BillyBanjo-DK
My phat 40Gb PS3 (with 320Gb harddrive) died on me recently, but thankfully I had up-to-date backups of all my savegames, and now I have bought a new Slim.

How do I install my savegame and DLC's for GT5? I am afraid of doing it in the wrong way or order. I have heard of people loosing all their data.

I am thinking of doing it like this:

1. Install GT5 on the Slim PS3.
2. Download all DLC from the Store again - and install them manually with the button in GT5.
3. Copy my old savegame to my new Slim.
4. Play the game :dopey: .

Is this okay?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That does work. I regularly switch between PS3s and simply copied the game save over when I bought the DLC and downloaded the files from PSN to activate them.

Of course unless you are doing a complete restore from the old hard drive you'll lose things like trophies, custom courses and pictures.

Of course unless you are doing a complete restore from the old hard drive you'll lose things like trophies, custom courses and pictures.

You won't lose trophies, since they are "stored" on PSN servers, not on PS3s. All you need to do is "Synch Trophies" on the XMB, assuming you are using the same PSN account name and login details.

roflcoptor
You won't lose trophies, since they are "stored" on PSN servers, not on PS3s. All you need to do is "Synch Trophies" on the XMB, assuming you are using the same PSN account name and login details.

Yep :-) .

And I also exported my best replays from the game to the XMB - and from there to a Flash Drive. When I have installed the game again on my new PS3, I can then import them to GT5.

It is a shame though, that I can't import all my backed up GT5-photos to the game itself. That is not possible as far as I know. I can only see/use them in the XMB (or a pc or whatever).

Last edited:
My phat 40Gb PS3 (with 320Gb harddrive) died on me recently, but thankfully I had up-to-date backups of all my savegames, and now I have bought a new Slim.

How do I install my savegame and DLC's for GT5? I am afraid of doing it in the wrong way or order. I have heard of people loosing all their data.

I am thinking of doing it like this:

1. Install GT5 on the Slim PS3.
2. Download all DLC from the Store again - and install them manually with the button in GT5.
3. Copy my old savegame to my new Slim.
4. Play the game :dopey: .

Is this okay?

Thanks.

The actual DLC items are in the patch, have you noticed how the patches are huge but the "DLC install" is fast? it's because the "DLC install" is just your PS3 receiving permission to use the relevant data in the patch. Basically you probably won't need step 2 because your old save data already has this permission, GT5 DLC works differently to every other PS3 game that I've seen.

Last edited:
Peasantslayer
Wouldn't you switch step 2 and step 3 around? it sounds like you are going to overwrite your dlc. It's ok if you have only purchased cars/tracks but if you have purchased paint/suits switch step 2 and step 3 around. GT5 dlc isn't like normal DLC because everyone with the latest patch installed technically has it, your just paying to make it usable.

EDIT: nevermind I'm talking nonsense, your dlc is already stored in your save game.

Okay - so I don't need to download the DLC from the Store? Just activate/install the DLC from within the game?

Okay - so I don't need to download the DLC from the Store? Just activate/install the DLC from within the game?

I recently had to reinstall the game. All the DLC 1 packs were there when I started the game. Car Pack 2 and 3 plus Speed Track I had to redownload from my Download History under account management.

Well if you have installed the latest patch which includes every single bit of DLC (which is why people without DLC can use SPA/Kart Space in time trials) and you have a save game which basically says you already have DLC cars/paints/suits on the save then I don't think you will even have to download anything else, if I am wrong then just download in game.

Last edited:
I have now succesfully installed the game + my savegame again, and I had to install a few of the DLC's and update the thumbnails of the cars, but now it works as it should without problems :-) .

Thank you all for the help ;-) .

Back