Instrument view and rear ending

• Thread starter winet
  • 10 comments
United States
Arizona
I have always driven in the cockpit view but being new to Gt Sport when I am testing to learn some of the tracks I revert to the instruments only view which gives me a better visual of the track.
I even ran an offline race in the instruments only view and found it very difficult to determine exactly where the front end of the car actually is. Is it possible this view contributes to more accidents in online races as in being rear ended ?

I have always driven in the cockpit view but being new to Gt Sport when I am testing to learn some of the tracks I revert to the instruments only view which gives me a better visual of the track.
I even ran an offline race in the instruments only view and found it very difficult to determine exactly where the front end of the car actually is. Is it possible this view contributes to more accidents in online races as in being rear ended ?

I don't think it's inherently any easier or more difficult. It's more a question of what you get used to, the FOV is different and the reference points you can judge things by are different.

It's all a part of the fun of learning how to run a specific car :lol: Developing that virtual spatial awareness can be tricky as, unless you race in VR, your eye movement doesn't correspond with the cockpit's camera movement. I'm suffering the same pain at the mo as I'm learning to drive with a G29 in the cockpit view. I suggest just testing out whatever you car you drive and learning where your endpoints are... or wait for a Rolls Royce or an old Cadillac or Mercedes to come in so you can use the hood ornament as a better visual point :lol:. If it gets too bad then you'll have to leave the full HUD on for the radar.

I am comfortable with the cockpit view once I know the track. I guess my real question was does the instruments only view cause more wrecks in the Sport mode

I think instruments-only view does cause more wreckage, since it doesn't allow you to use radar (and even the mirrors in bumper-cam). Add to that the fact that most interior views have abyssmal mirrors, and I can see how people would have almost 0 spatial awareness
My version of hell would be a mixture of chase-cam and bumper-cammers going into the first chicane at Monza.
Hey what's your problem with bump-
Oh.

I don't race online, but I until recently, always used the chase cam with minimal screen info. But I've just switched to no info (as GTS minimal info is still too much; just speed/positon pls no track, no guages etc.) on screen and the full screen "bumper"? cam where you can't see your car's hood... just the road. I'm liking that now for some reason, but never used to.

I think instruments-only view does cause more wreckage, since it doesn't allow you to use radar (and even the mirrors in bumper-cam). Add to that the fact that most interior views have abyssmal mirrors, and I can see how people would have almost 0 spatial awareness

Hey what's your problem with bump-
Oh.

Is instrument view different than bumper cam? I like bumper cam cause it gives me the rearview mirror and an easy place to see the radar. I think I would rather use the hood/roof cam but there is no rearview mirror and the radar is in the lower right hand corner, kind of a weird place for me to look. I tried standing on the decklid/boot but it just seems too weird of a driving position for me.
Is there a particular view that everyone agrees is the fastest???

Is instrument view different than bumper cam? I like bumper cam cause it gives me the rearview mirror and an easy place to see the radar. I think I would rather use the hood/roof cam but there is no rearview mirror and the radar is in the lower right hand corner, kind of a weird place for me to look. I tried standing on the decklid/boot but it just seems too weird of a driving position for me.
Is there a particular view that everyone agrees is the fastest???
Oh, so instruments view is bumper cam? Sorry! I thought he was referring to cockpit view without the HUD :(

Is it possible this view contributes to more accidents in online races as in being rear ended ?
In and of itself, I honestly don't believe so.
If you are accustom to a particular view, you know where your car is. Now, if you are not accustom to a particular view, then, I really do not believe it is the "views" fault, rather the operators.
And, personally, I don't understand the need to be that close anyways...
the whole idea of being able to get to the throttle earlier lends itself to leaving a little room to get the run.
and...
Under braking, if you are so close you need to know exactly where your bumper is in regards to the car in front, you really should be on a different line, as you are running at the risk contact with the car in front , be it braking a millisecond early, lingering at the apex, or breathing/feathering/delaying the throttle on exit... at that point any contact from behind is operator error, not view related... and you should also know that whenever someone is that tight to your tail, all of the above are tools to keep them back there by throwing off their rhythm.
Running that close sets you up for contact, penalties, being played.

So, IMO, no, the view is not at fault, being that close to begin with is the problem.

In and of itself, I honestly don't believe so.
If you are accustom to a particular view, you know where your car is. Now, if you are not accustom to a particular view, then, I really do not believe it is the "views" fault, rather the operators.
And, personally, I don't understand the need to be that close anyways...
the whole idea of being able to get to the throttle earlier lends itself to leaving a little room to get the run.
and...
Under braking, if you are so close you need to know exactly where your bumper is in regards to the car in front, you really should be on a different line, as you are running at the risk contact with the car in front , be it braking a millisecond early, lingering at the apex, or breathing/feathering/delaying the throttle on exit... at that point any contact from behind is operator error, not view related... and you should also know that whenever someone is that tight to your tail, all of the above are tools to keep them back there by throwing off their rhythm.
Running that close sets you up for contact, penalties, being played.

So, IMO, no, the view is not at fault, being that close to begin with is the problem.

I couldn't agree more, I dont like to enter a braking zone at less than a car length behind, you have no room to maneuver without risking contact. I have seen many start braking car lengths earlier than the common braking boards.

Back