insurance question

• Thread starter Speedy_E
  • 21 comments
ok so i am looking for some help from somebody a little more experienced than I. I was wondering if somebody could tell me approximately what insurance would be for a 17 year old male, clean driving record, living in ontario Canada, and driving a 1st gen s10 blazer 2door with a v8 swap and minor suspension upgrades (engines either a 305 or 350, most likely a 350 but not completely sure and an inch or so drop). Thank you to any1 who can help me, o and the truck is a dark amethyst color if that means anything.

1st and foremost never tell the insurance companies about any modifications done to your vehicle. Secondly, your best bet is to actually phone up an insurance agent and get quoted directly. Good luck.

Seventeen year-old male + any car = $2,500/year ($US) minimum. That's just for liability. If you want to insure the vehicle (and you don't), it will be a lot more.

Blazers are insanely cheap to insure because no one wants to steal them and you are lucky to ever get 90mph. They aren't dangerous what-so-ever. If you don't let your insurance company know you'll be fine, and if the Blazer was one of those slower then hell, non-4.3L models then you'll be all set.

there are some other factors that the others have missed when it comes to insurance.

the age of a car is important. it can be cheaper to insure a newer car (more safety features, potentially less harm to an occupant in an accident) than an older cheaper car. and not just any newer car, those with safety features such as airbags, and those that score highly on the IIHS and NHTSA crash tests also usually end up costing less insurance wise.
the type of car is also important. a four door sedan of common use (mid size four door ala camry, taurus, etc) will be cheaper than most. your sports cars, perfomance cars, pickups can be more expensive. i say can because the miata has good insurance rates. if that car is a popular target for thieves though, forget it.

either way, as already mentioned, 17yr old male = bend over and say thank you afterward.

edit. if you dont tell your insurance company about your engine swap, then you cant claim its "added value" if you do get in an accident.

Cheating the system is ever so much fun!

I think the other estimates were pretty fair. I'd guess that you'd expect $2000-2500 CND for full-coverage, but if its old enough, go for a bit lower premiums with higher deductibles. And never, never, ever tell them what modifications have been done. There have been more than a few Camaros that I've looked into just to cheat the system...

You know what would be brilliant, if I dropped the LS7 into my Camaro. "yeah, its the reagular 305ci V8 model, how much will it cost me for liability?" "oh, lets see...$39.00 per month" That's just ownage.

also, look at the payout if your going for full coverage. stated value might be less than you think the car is worth.

i kept my car with liability only as the insurance payout for a total loss would have been less than the insurance cost in one year.

either way, as already mentioned, 17yr old male = bend over and say thank you afterward.
Yep.

Best advice I can give would be to actually call around for quotes. Shop around with the list of cars you are interested in/curious about. Rates varies A LOT, depending on a company.

Blazers are insanely cheap to insure because no one wants to steal them and you are lucky to ever get 90mph. They aren't dangerous what-so-ever. If you don't let your insurance company know you'll be fine, and if the Blazer was one of those slower then hell, non-4.3L models then you'll be all set.
Wasn't the blazer rated as the most dangerous vehicle on the road or something like that?

The 2.5 generation was which is trucks between 98-05 are the most dangerous because for one thing in America there are so many of them on the road and they are driven by young people 16-25 mostly. It's not hard to become dangerous....also there is a slight problem of the truck exploding if it gets rear ended pretty hard.

The first generation as safe as they are nothing but steel. Also the I4 they came with never put out over 100hp if I'm remembering correctly and the pre-4.3L V6 put out no more then 120hp. You aren't going to go anywhere fast with this truck. So buy one with this smaller engine in it and do the swap that way the VIN will still say the truck has x engine in it when it really has a 350...and yes you want a 350 in the truck.

If you are going to do a drop, only buy Beltech stuff, and never tell you insurance company you have modified suspension...they don't take kindly to it.

If ever this could come in handy, I go to the University of Toronto and a friend here was able to get insurance through the University at an amazingly cheap rate for his car. If you are a student you might want to check it out at your University.

Not to put a damper on people saying "don't tell insurance companies about any modifications done the to the cars..." but as I understand it, it is technically illegal to not inform the insurance company about any modifications.

Also, there has been cases that if the insurance company will not insure you and the car if you get involved in an accident and they found the car to have been modified from the "stock" car that they assumed they were insuring. Technically, the insurance company would be correct to refuse to pay out in this case.

Not sure whether this applies to Canada, but I'm sure it would be the same as in the UK

Not to put a damper on people saying "don't tell insurance companies about any modifications done the to the cars..." but as I understand it, it is technically illegal to not inform the insurance company about any modifications.

Most of the time when you get insurance the only thing they ask for is a VIN, if the VIN only states there is a 2.6L V6 in the Blazer and it really has a 5.7L V8 you didn't lie to them because you gave them the information they wanted.

At least in America, I have no idea what it's like in other parts of the world.

Most of the time when you get insurance the only thing they ask for is a VIN, if the VIN only states there is a 2.6L V6 in the Blazer and it really has a 5.7L V8 you didn't lie to them because you gave them the information they wanted.

At least in America, I have no idea what it's like in other parts of the world.

In the UK any engine swaps MUST be declared to the DVLA, who hold all information relating to a vehicle. Then, when the VRM (Vehicle Registration Mark) is disclosed to the insurers, they automatically retrieve the VIN from the DVLA database and so any major changes like engine swaps.

An undeclared engine swap means you are committing insurance and tax fraud and are not technically insured.

An undeclared engine swap means you are committing insurance and tax fraud and are not technically insured.

There may be something about it under the US laws, but AFAIK, it isn't the case. I know my Dad's Chevrolet Caprice came with a pretty lame 305 V8, but he swapped that out to the hotter version from the Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, and never had to report it to the insurance company.

(maybe because it was the same size engine?)

Insurance companies I've been with, they've all said in the contract that I'm supposed to declare any modification done on the vehicle. I don't know of anyone who's been in hotwater over hiding mods on their cars from insurance, but it's a risk none the less.

If you're in an accident, they'll get the pictures back, and not be too pleased. Not a huge probability, though.

i dont know.

remember insurance companies are in the business of making money. and one way of doing that is by not paying claims. if they have just the slightest inkling to not do so, any kind of loophole.......

if it appears in any way that you were responsible......

if you made a lot of little claims on your policy.....

if your payment was late.

theres too many factors. they can use the modification as an excuse to deny you for something else.

there are some other factors that the others have missed when it comes to insurance.

the age of a car is important. it can be cheaper to insure a newer car (more safety features, potentially less harm to an occupant in an accident) than an older cheaper car. and not just any newer car, those with safety features such as airbags, and those that score highly on the IIHS and NHTSA crash tests also usually end up costing less insurance wise.
the type of car is also important. a four door sedan of common use (mid size four door ala camry, taurus, etc) will be cheaper than most. your sports cars, perfomance cars, pickups can be more expensive. i say can because the miata has good insurance rates. if that car is a popular target for thieves though, forget it.

edit. if you dont tell your insurance company about your engine swap, then you cant claim its "added value" if you do get in an accident.

Heh, what he says is true. Progressive wanted to charge me 800 a month to insure me on a worn out '72 C10, I6, three-on-the-tree that can't make 75 without redlining gearing, and only half that on a '96 Eclipse with a turbo added. Oddly enough, if I added 15K for vehicle coverage and full roadside(helpful with an old truck), it dropped to 600/mo. Why am I gonna pay more per month to insure a vehicle than I paid for the vehicle period?!

On a side note, insuring me, liability only, on my '85 F150 only raised insurance rates 60/mo with Geico. Also, I am on the same plan as my parents, which is probably why. My record's also extremely clean, only one wreck and no tickets with year and a half solo on the road.

Be prepared to have thine wallet drained and thine common sense meter pegged on the none side.

Back