Intelligent AI?

SSJ3_Raditz
I always thought GT5 had zombie AI after numerous incidents of getting rammed from behind while entering a corner, but I once spun out at the final turn at Trial Mountain in front of everybody and they all managed to get out of the way. When I watched the replay, they were swerving visibly.

I also once rammed this car in Laguna Seca and then he rammed me back. :dunce: I dunno whether his path led him to ram me or he really was trying to get back.

I should really check if they really are intelligent and not zombies as I think.

I personally think they (and bob) are clinically retarded, except if they're in a FGT, then they're somehow magically transformed into geniuses. Just my humble opinion.

Camphaus
I personally think they (and bob) are clinically retarded, except if they're in a FGT, then they're somehow magically transformed into geniuses. Just my humble opinion.

My Bob is unstoppable, you wouldn't want to race him. lol.

Really? My bob is terrible, sometimes he brakes on straightaways like the one on Fuji Speedway.

they tend to drive after the payback principle. If you hit them, they will hit you. If you drive clean, they will also drive clean and give way (at least the top 10 cars in a race of 16)

I've had cars dodge me before when I've made a booboo, they've braked and pulled an evasive. I've also had lapped cars move off the driving line to let me pass. I don't find the AI too dumb.

The AI was improved with an update (that made them respect your space more), and then made worse again - in a different way. Now they pussy out if you so much as look at them funny, but occasionally go all banzai on you just for being there...

The real problem with the AI is their pace, a perennial issue since perhaps GT2. The AI in GT5:P was certainly fast enough, just not intelligent enough. Now it is intelligent enough (well, it was, before the bi-polar update) but they're just not fast enough!

While grinding DCC in an X2010, they always turn a bit to the left to give me some space. That's one thing to their "intelligence".

They can also dodge obstructions, but they don't have the reflexes to move around one that just spun out right into their face in an instant. Sometimes, they also get into a collision with a moving obstruction.

To conclude, they drive like normal human beings (emphasis on normal); they react to certain situations but there are times when they were too slow to react.

Camphaus

Hahaha that made me laugh. Good stuff

I also think it's intelligent, but it's not fast or knows how to overtake, or defend for that matter.

It's a mixture, they can't make up their mind who they are.
On one hand the slow ai cars will put half of their car off the road so you can get past on nurburgring (more than other tracks). Sometimes the horn seems to unsettle them too and they may swerve.
On the other, they will run up your behind while drafting you because there is someone next to them and they can't bother to lift their foot off the pedal.

I think the ai is semi smart but they are soo slow and uncompetitive.

Now if they could just largely decrease their braking points (with a random variation on each bot), stop idling around the corners (with more natural fluctuations in the throttle, and no TCS for them), they may make slight mistakes which the other cars in the pack won't make at that same point perhaps we could see some level of ai-ai racing as well as more competition for the player.
I feel that if there was at least some level of variation in the ai through each corner, there would probably be some attempts at overtaking by them even in a one make race, of course they still need to be more aggressive(not meaning angry) to have a chance at the player.

I wasn't even joking. Bob gets better with your training. It's time consuming but beneficial. Basically if you "command" him to pass at the right time enough he eventually does it on his own. The more time he spends at a given track the better he drives it and maneuvers the traffic on the track.

I've seen my Bob tuck behind the lead car for the draft then slingshot past him with precision (not just at the NASCAR tracks) I've seen him do inside passing, outside passing. I've seen him trip out when blocked going side to side looking for a opening to pass. He drives clean at full intensity.

Bob is and will always be a dip$hit if he's just tossed in a over powered car that just dominates the pack.

I also applied the philosophy of sometimes learning more from a loss then a gain. I have my main original Bob and then some bobs that started their career in enduro races. The new Bobs leveled up so much faster the my first Bob but he is still a better driver at the same level.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

AI textbooks define the [AI] field as "the study and design of intelligent agents" where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success.

So I think you definitely can call the AI-Opponents "intelligent" as they
  • adopt their driving style to the car they're driving e.g. reduce their speed to the car's abilities in corners
  • adopt their speed to the environmental situation i.e. they pace up if they are falling behind and slow down if they are in first position
  • manage to get out of the dust on their own, if they spun out/were pushed out.
  • take the chance to overtake
  • give way (sometimes) to overlapping cars
  • break (sometimes) to avoid crashes

So it's not the question, if they are intelligent or not but rather if they are smart enough to catch up with your abilities.

They can only be so good to keep the game beatable to a broader audience. I've been playing GT since 98 and I'm skilled at it so I don't expect the AI to be competitive unless I use the games features to my fun factor advantage.

First off stay away from racing slicks except for race cars, and keep the car stock weight & presto you're racing again. Or try out a fully tuned street car (not RM'ed) against a lineup of race cars, it's great. Or run the NASCAR races on R1 tires, go to the Historic Races in a 20 mill ride. There are many ways to get a great race if you use the game to it's fullest.

It sucked when there where so many race entry restrictions in previous GT's as I coulees race my fully tuned street cars against the race cars I wanted to run them against (until codebreaker) there is a video that shows what GT4 could of been like without all the restrictions.

Gimme a sec to find it

http://www.streetfire.net/video/camaro-ss-races-the-all-american-championship-ps2_27827.htm

That's what I'm talking about ;)

Last edited:
They can only be so good to keep the game beatable to a broader audience. I've been playing GT since 98 and I'm skilled at it so I don't expect the AI to be competitive unless I use the games features to my fun factor advantage.

First off stay away from racing slicks except for race cars, and keep the car stock weight & presto you're racing again. Or try out a fully tuned street car (not RM'ed) against a lineup of race cars, it's great. Or run the NASCAR races on R1 tires, go to the Historic Races in a 20 mill ride. There are many ways to get a great race if you use the game to it's fullest.

It sucked when there where so many race entry restrictions in previous GT's as I coulees race my fully tuned street cars against the race cars I wanted to run them against (until codebreaker) there is a video that shows what GT4 could of been like without all the restrictions.

Gimme a sec to find it

http://www.streetfire.net/video/camaro-ss-races-the-all-american-championship-ps2_27827.htm

That's what I'm talking about ;)

I had this crazy idea the other night. Bear with me, for it is a touch outlandish.
I thought of this special device that, somehow, allows for the player to specify how fast the AI is. I envisage it would have to work in much the same way as the fabled "difficulty" setting in other games, e.g. FPSs.

So, basically, if there were some way (any way) at all to include some kind of over-arching difficulty setting to the AI for GT Life, then it might allow for the AI to be beatable for the broader audience, but at the same time allow for faster AI for those that want it. Sounds tricky, possibly even too good to be true, but I reckon it's doable.
I should probably patent that idea, or something...

I want to race the AI, not barge my way through them in the corners and defend like an idiot on the straights.

The AI can be smart like Einstein, but in the end it needs to drive fast too and that's where GT fails most of the time. You can overtake every car after one or two corners, just because the cars drive so incredible slow compared to yourself:P

They are not just slow compared to us, they are slow compared to the cars capabilities they are driving. They take corners 20+ mph slower than the car can do. This alone is responsible for how easily we beat them and why we have to handicap ourselves to have fun.

I want to race the AI, not barge my way through them in the corners and defend like an idiot on the straights.

Well this is it right here huh? The way to have a competitive race is to take an underpowered car into a race, beat the ai in the corners to build a lead, then fend them off in the straights.

It is true that using sport tires can provide for a more competitive race. However, i don't want to tune down to the competition. I want to fully tune a car so I can push it to it's limits AND have a competitive race.

Maybe a little O/T, but has anyone else noticed a difference in the AI in the online seasonal events? In A-Spec, in as close as I can come to equal power-to-weight cars with whatever unseen upgrades I/they happen to be using(often stock for me) and the same tires as the AI, I can be lazily driving around, spin twice, and still win by a good ten seconds in an average race. If I drive good it's more like 30.

But in the seasonals with the same cars and P/W as the AI it's a hell of a struggle, some races I can do it, but usually I have to give up and at least use a class better tires than them. I wondered about it in the last set of them, noticed it clearly with the trucks and for sure with the Lamborghini event. I know you have to come from all the way behind and not half way behind, and that trucks and lambos are not necessarily the easiest vehicles to drive to the limit, but as I said, in A-spec it's not even close, and in the seasonals it's at least a challenge for me.

I don't know if they lie about their PP and tires, or if they get some kind of extra-cheap physics, or if they perhaps are using "catch up mode" even in front, or if I'm just somehow not seeing what I seem to be seeing. In any case, I really wish the rest of A-Spec was similarly difficult, even though they still do all the moronic things they do the rest of the time.

Maybe a little O/T, but has anyone else noticed a difference in the AI in the online seasonal events?

But in the seasonals with the same cars and P/W as the AI it's a hell of a struggle, some races I can do it, but usually I have to give up and at least use a class better tires than them.

Yep, have also found the Truck seasonals a bit challenging, especially the Tsukuba race where the leading Toyota truck is fairly quick...

I don't know if they lie about their PP and tires, or if they get some kind of extra-cheap physics, or if they perhaps are using "catch up mode" even in front, or if I'm just somehow not seeing what I seem to be seeing. In any case, I really wish the rest of A-Spec was similarly difficult, even though they still do all the moronic things they do the rest of the time.

If you read the PP guide carefully it says that most of the opposition cars are between 440 and 470PP which probably suggests that one or two at the front may have higher PP ratings from anywhere between 470 and the permitted 550 maximum.

I wasn't even joking. Bob gets better with your training. It's time consuming but beneficial. Basically if you "command" him to pass at the right time enough he eventually does it on his own. The more time he spends at a given track the better he drives it and maneuvers the traffic on the track.

This is probably the first time I've seen anyone talk about "training" Bob since probably December. Shortly after the game was released people kept posting different speculation regarding how B-Spec worked, including what the up and down arrows meant, and most of those theories were eventually abandoned. The idea of Bob learning based on what commands you give him hasn't been proposed in months, as far as I've seen.

zedextreme8177
The AI needs to be faster, drive quicker, atleast manage a lap within one second of what a human can achieve:mad:

sounds like a good idea for long ish races, but how do you suggest you will win a seasonal event, 5 laps, typically at least 15 secs behind the leader to begin with? by my calculations you would be 10 secs behind the leader by the end. :)

I think it's up to us to tune our car to the ai's capabilities (it shouldn't be but it is)

IceMan PJN
This is probably the first time I've seen anyone talk about "training" Bob since probably December. Shortly after the game was released people kept posting different speculation regarding how B-Spec worked, including what the up and down arrows meant, and most of those theories were eventually abandoned. The idea of Bob learning based on what commands you give him hasn't been proposed in months, as far as I've seen.

Probably because most don't take the time to do it or they don't do it well/consistent.

I find it confirmed when my trained level 34 Bob smokes my other Bob who is also at level 34 but not trained at all, & got his levels from endo's only.

I hear people saying their bob can't pass or does dumb stuff, when my trained bob handles business like a pro. I've see him make incredible maneuvers, pick perfect pass opportunities, even exercise patience waiting for the right moment to pass. He carve tracks with ease.

I'm not joking when I say people would not want to race my bob, if the a-spec AI drove like my Bob people would be pissed about the game being too hard.

Back