Interest in a car spreadsheet aimed at tuners

United States
United States
backslashnfourth
So after reading Motor City Hami's initial findings concerning the variability of various components and how they change hp/pp/torque, I was wondering if there would be any interest in a spreadsheet that provided this information for the tuning community. Aside from basic info such and make, model, region, drivetrain, aspiration, weight, weight distribution etc... I was thinking it could include precise values for how each component changes hp/pp/torque values for each car. Obviously this is probably ambitious and I did not want to get started without gauging the interest of the community. If this seems like something useful or if it sounds like I have simply lost my mind please let me know.

OMG yes. I would use that rather than doing it manually for each car.

Let me add a really crazy idea. What if you could type in a PP level and it could recommend the power parts in rank order? Now you could make that into an app and we'd all pay $5 for it.

hmmmm. I'll play around with things for the next few days. Maybe it would be easiest if I started with a small sample of cars and try to get something up for that. I'm not super savvy when it comes to making an app but who knows maybe down the line. For now I'll mess around in excel and maybe use the FITT shootout cars as a trial set.

Okay. After some confusion and a bit of labor I've produced some raw data. I don't know if it will be of any use to anyone. It is for only one car, the El Camino, but the spreadsheet is set up such that you can simply input values for PP and HP and it should calculate corresponding HP/PP for each part. Simply this is the amount of horsepower you will get per PP from a part, if you need further explanation head over to Motor City Hami's thread, he explains things quite well. What you will see on the spreadsheet is 2 rows of 4 large boxes, the top row labeled "STOCK" and the bottom row "OIL CHANGE". Each box shows the beginning PP and HP (whether STOCK or OIL CHANGE) then PP after each part is added individually (PP), PP gained from part (PP gain), HP after part is added (HP), HP gained from part (HP gain), and HP gain/PP gain (HP/PP). Additionally below each large box is an additional list of the parts listed from highest to lowest HP/PP. The part I found interesting (it may or may not be) is that the last 3 large boxes were calculated by applying the engine tuning upgrade specified (ENG 1, ENG 2, ENG 3), then adding each part individually. The HP/PP for each Engine tuning upgrade is given at the top of the box as well. I apologize if I haven't explained it very well, simply put below each large box is a list of parts is a list of parts with corresponding HP/PP that is labeled (ie. STOCK ENG 1 - meaning, no oil change, and parts were added to a car with engine tuning stage 1 already installed). Each of these lists is in order of which part will give the most HP/PP for the El Camino given the specified STOCK/OIL CHANGE and ENGINE TUNING conditions. I don't think I'm making this up but I do feel a little crazy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...VLaTQ4UnFrQWRETEt1REF6TGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Okay, so providing a ranked list of the most useful power parts for every car is proving to be difficult. I'm continuing to do research on this. Some patterns have come out. For instance, the Catalytic Converter, Sports Computer, and Racing Exhaust are typically at the top of the ranking for most cars. However I am finding that the engine aspiration that PD lists may have an impact on what parts are most useful as well. Additionally I'm doing some research into 2+ part combinations, (after I finally read the descriptions that PD gives for each part), and this provides a whole new variable. I personally feel that ultimately the data will regress back to the same particular parts being ideal for most cars (maybe with variation depending on listed aspiration and whether you intend to install a turbo/supercharger).
All that aside, I'll continue with that, but I would like to provide an initial spreadsheet to tuners (or aspiring tuners), especially those that do not already have all or most of the cars.

The info included would be Make, Model, Year, Price, PP, Drivetrain, Power(HP), Torque(ft-lb), Weight(kg), Power-to-Weight Ratio (kg/HP), Front Weight Distribution, Displacement (cc), Can Turbo be installed?, Can Supercharger be installed?.

Additionally I could include info such as, Minimum weight, Max HP, Max PP and maybe other info involving ranges of possible weight distribution at stock or minimum weight.

If anyone is interested in this, can think of other categories to include, or if this has already been completed by someone and I'd be wasting my time (I did a quick search and didn't find something to this extent), please let me know.

Regards.

Back