Interested, with some questions

• Thread starter raven214
  • 22 comments
United States
US
I want to try iRacing, but I would need a new computer to run it so it's going to be more than just a trial's investment (i.e. free) to get started, and I need more information before I'm comfortable with that.

1. Tuning
What is tuning like and how necessary is it? Can I race competitively with stock setups? I don't care for tuning - I would much rather just drive the car and have a crew chief, literal or gameplay element, to translate my feedback into changes on the car.

2. Replays
I like to take screenshots and occasionally make movies from my games. Can you save replays of your races, can you switch focus to cars other than your own, and is there an outside "TV" view rather than just the in-car?

3. Race length
How long are typical races and do you get to do pit stops or are they all/mostly sprints?

4. Progression
I would probably be happy running the MX-5 for a good long while, but I would love to try the RUF. How long would it take to be able to drive it? Keep in mind I'm a family man so my game time is limited to about an hour a day during the week and a few hours on the weekend.

1. Tuning

Some series are fixed where no changes can be made. When starting out you'll be in Fixed series. The series that do allow tuning, usually there are people that will post there setups for others to use. There's nothing like a crew-chief that will make changes to your car. It's up to you to determine what problems with the car you want to feel out. Some series (Skip barber) the setup really doesn't make that much of a difference between winning and losing. It only has about 4 settings to change. Now the higher up series you can have 5-10 settings per axle, plus front and rear settings to change. The members on the forum are very helpful in posting their setups.

2. You can save replays with many camera angles.
Off the top of my head there are:
Cockpit (driver)
Passenger Seat view (one is static and one is gyro)
Chase Cam
Far Chase Cam
Rear Chase Cam(looking at front of car)
Chopper Cam
Blimp Cam
Pit Lane (I think there are two)
TV Cameras (I think there are three)
Couple of Suspension/Tire Cameras
Bumper Camera
*I know I'm missing some.

If you want to post the replays on Youtube, you have to use Fraps or bandicam or something to record it.

3. Races are usually between 25-60 minutes, depending on the series. Some series will have 70/90 minutes endurances races. There are a couple of 2.4 hour races throughout the year. Mostly sprints (on road side, I don't race ovals)

4. If you fast-tracked up to the C License (or 4.0 D) to race the RUF CUP or Former Grand-am, I'd say it take you maybe two weeks at an hour a day. Maybe less I'm not sure.

Fast-tracking usually involves doing Time Trials (you race around by yourself, completing so many clean laps in a row) You get safety rating increase for that, but it's minimal compared to a race. However when joining the race you always have the element of other people driving like idiots. Especially in the MX-5.

After you got out of Rookie class, you'd have to maintain a 4.0sr (max is 4.99) to race in the RUF Cup or Former Grand-am. You technically need a C license for that, but a 4.0 D license is accepted. To get to a C license you'd have to do 4 races in a D license Car (Skip barber, Spec Racer Ford, and a few others) to get promoted to C license if your Safety rating stays good.

Hope that helps.

Just to add to the replay info:

You can edit all the default camera angles , create a set of your own , or download and install camera sets created by other users. The default cameras are generally pretty good though.
Race replays can be edited in game straight away so if you only wanted to save 2 laps of a race , you can select that section and save it right there and then.
You can fast forward or rewind at several speeds , super slow mo or view any driver on any lap using any camera. It is very versatile.

The saved replay files aren't big but capturing them will create some huge files. I use fraps and record to an external hard drive connected via a USB 3.0 port. This minimises the impact on frame rates if I'm recording live. Not an issue if recording bits of a saved replay.

Thank you both for the info!

Re: Replays
Sounds good. I was wondering because almost every video I see online is on-board footage recorded live. I've used Fraps in the past and mainly I might just make a little music video here or there, especially if I ever manage to pass anyone! :lol:

One more question off the top of my head: can you choose an automatic transmission or is it only what the real car has?

Thank you both for the info!

Re: Replays
Sounds good. I was wondering because almost every video I see online is on-board footage recorded live. I've used Fraps in the past and mainly I might just make a little music video here or there, especially if I ever manage to pass anyone! :lol:

One more question off the top of my head: can you choose an automatic transmission or is it only what the real car has?

Don't think you can choose auto due to it being a sim. Replays are fantastic! You can analyse other peoples laps and why they're quicker than you as well as what happened to someone you were battling with but then made a mistake.
I was on another thread a few weeks back wishing there was a demo but seriously, buy three months when its on offer, try the MX5 and see what you think. I'm now racing in the Skippy series and I'm loving it! Although money is a bit of a problem if you want to race in multiple series that go to separate tracks all over the world (e.g. Skip Barber and the Grand Touring Cup) but I am only going to race in one or two series each season.

You can choose the driver aid "Auto-Shift", but I only use that when I'm goofing off at work and have to use mouse and keyboard. No racing usually just a quick test to learn a track or something.

However,

Let's say you sim rig had a Sequential Shifter (Paddles or Stick) and an H-Pattern Shifter. Like a G25/G27. You couldn't use the H-Pattern on a car w/ a sequential shifter. If you don't have the H-pattern you can use the sequential for everything.

Same goes for a clutch. Some cars needs a clutch, some don't. However you can always bind a keyboard/wheel button to clutch if needed.

For HammerBlaster, you should put your info into the GTP Iracing Directory so other GTP'ers can find you.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-directory-v3-0-see-op-before-posting.290754/

I too am interested in iRACING since last summer, Gran Turismo only goes so far, I need more! 43 racers..I'm in! Watching the NASCAR races from last year 2013. My question(s) is how exactly is it all setup because if I'm hearing & seeing right it's just like a real simulated car with engine/electrical failures too?!

I'm good to go on equipment, just switch my rig from PS3 to PC.

You can choose the driver aid "Auto-Shift", but I only use that when I'm goofing off at work and have to use mouse and keyboard. No racing usually just a quick test to learn a track or something.

However,

Let's say you sim rig had a Sequential Shifter (Paddles or Stick) and an H-Pattern Shifter. Like a G25/G27. You couldn't use the H-Pattern on a car w/ a sequential shifter. If you don't have the H-pattern you can use the sequential for everything.

Same goes for a clutch. Some cars needs a clutch, some don't. However you can always bind a keyboard/wheel button to clutch if needed.

For HammerBlaster, you should put your info into the GTP Iracing Directory so other GTP'ers can find you.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-directory-v3-0-see-op-before-posting.290754/

I have a DFGT. The thing is I've pretty much always driven automatic. I've dabbled with manuals here and there but I've never gotten comfortable tracking the gear I'm in while working around a road course. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I've been driving for over a decade in real life and it's all been with automatics - I've never even tried to drive stick.

I too am interested in iRACING since last summer, Gran Turismo only goes so far, I need more! 43 racers..I'm in! Watching the NASCAR races from last year 2013. My question(s) is how exactly is it all setup because if I'm hearing & seeing right it's just like a real simulated car with engine/electrical failures too?!

I'm good to go on equipment, just switch my rig from PS3 to PC.

Engine failures happen from over revving (eg: down shifting too fast in road car) and over heating (pushing too long in Nascar) I can't recall seeing electrical problems though.

I have a DFGT. The thing is I've pretty much always driven automatic. I've dabbled with manuals here and there but I've never gotten comfortable tracking the gear I'm in while working around a road course. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I've been driving for over a decade in real life and it's all been with automatics - I've never even tried to drive stick.
And thats honestly a habit you need to get rid of. I use to use auto's back in GT4 but eventually i changed and while it was difficult at first to get used to manuals its just second nature now and is really easy, and manual is far faster than an auto. Im sure a very small percentage of people use auto on iRacing anyway.

4. Progression
I would probably be happy running the MX-5 for a good long while, but I would love to try the RUF. How long would it take to be able to drive it? Keep in mind I'm a family man so my game time is limited to about an hour a day during the week and a few hours on the weekend.

For someone new to iRacing, if you focus on driving clean and don't worry too much about winning, I think your target should be C Class in about a month. It might take two. You can drive practise laps in the RUF straight away, you just won't be able to get into a race. And you wouldn't want to until you had a good bit of MX5 racing under your belt anyway.

Note that it can be done much, much faster. But you'd have to know exactly what you're doing and have very highly developed racecraft already. It's not that it's hard to drive, more than there's a definite skill in learning to avoid the morons on track. Almost everyone on the service is actually really nice before and after the race, but put some people behind the wheel and they tend to, uh, shall we say overestimate their skill? You learn to spot them coming and stay well away. :)

I want to try iRacing, but I would need a new computer to run it so it's going to be more than just a trial's investment (i.e. free) to get started, and I need more information before I'm comfortable with that.

1. Tuning
What is tuning like and how necessary is it? Can I race competitively with stock setups? I don't care for tuning - I would much rather just drive the car and have a crew chief, literal or gameplay element, to translate my feedback into changes on the car.

2. Replays
I like to take screenshots and occasionally make movies from my games. Can you save replays of your races, can you switch focus to cars other than your own, and is there an outside "TV" view rather than just the in-car?

3. Race length
How long are typical races and do you get to do pit stops or are they all/mostly sprints?

4. Progression

1. Tuning

Road: Most of the lower level Road Course series, they use fixed setups which everyone is on. But, once you get to around C class level, setups become open. Some cars are very setup dependent, where others don't see a huge gain in running a setup. 9 times out of 10 there are multiple setups that you can download off of the forums that other members have created. These range from "Almost Alien" setups to the guys that aren't too serious into iRacing. You're bound to find a setup you'll like. Once you rank up to the GT3 series, if you are running a McLaren and want a good balanced setup, just shoot me a message on either GTP or iRacing and I'll be more than happy to send you mine.

Oval: Here is something I've struggled with a bit. They have fixed setup series all the way through the Oval progression to make things easy but, if you head into the open setup series, things get difficult. You really have to know what you're doing to get a good setup as I've yet to find many people posting setups in forums. Seems to be much more tight lipped.

2. Replays

There are many different replay options (Scenic, TV 1, TV 2, TV 3, Pit Lane, Chase, Far Chase, Rear Chase, Bumper, Rear Bumper, Driver Position, Roll Bar, Roll Bar Gyro, Front Suspension, Rear Suspension, Chopper and Blimp). Not only are there a massive variety of Camera angles, you can completely adjust your own angles. Even things like panning and microphone placement are available. If you spend a lot of time, you can easily get the perfect angles for anything. If you are planning on recording videos for YouTube purposes, there are free applications like MSI Afterburner, which can record really well and high quality, given you have a computer that can handle it. Mine handles it with ease and I am running on a computer with specs that were impressive two years ago. So it's probably around average or just above average for a current desktop.

Here's 2 videos showing race quality, as well as Roll Bar and TV 1 Cameras. Don't be too scared by the crash in the first corner. A driver had an issue with his computer and that was what caused the trouble. Had he not had the issue, it would have been completely clean.

3. Race Length

Race Length also varies on series. Most road course series don't have races longer than 30 to 45 minutes. Although there are a few 70 and 90 minute races mixed in a few weeks of the season. On the oval side, the fixed setup series will usually run 30-50 laps with the open setup series usually running double that.

4. Progression

With the proper mind set, moving up to something like GT3 might only take 2 weeks or less with minimal play (1 hour per day). All depends on how safe you are at the beginning. Like others have said, use the Rookie and D Class series as a way of learning iRacings physics and racing with others. Finishing with no incidents will allow you to upgrade your license quickly and will give you a higher iRating, which will allow you to enter races with more experienced drivers who don't often do erratic maneuvers.

The DFGT will do fine. I know a lot of guys who use it and are very competitive. Though, it might not be a bad idea to eventually upgrade to a high end pedal. Lap time wise, there is no advantage but, it will definitely make driving easier as well as consistency easier with a loaded brake cell.

Practice driving a sequential gearbox and blipping once you get iRacing. Manual gearboxes are not only faster but, are much more fun. Once you get the hang of it, driving an Automatic transmission will become really difficult as you can't dictate what gear you want at any given moment, this will leave you to the mercy of driving the car the way the computer wants you too. Versus a manual gives you the freedom to adjust the balance of the car with strategic upshifts, downshifts, and gear selection. Gives you the opportunity to drive with a personal character. If you want to shift lock on the downshifts to slide the car on entry, go for it. If you want to have nice smooth downshifts to drive into the corner with a controlled feel, you can do that too. It's all up to you, hopefully you get what I'm saying :P

Hopefully we'll be seeing you on the iRacing circuit shortly. Not many people are disapointed with the service, and seeing as you have done research and had legitimate questions to bring, I'd say you'll won't be disapointed either. :)

PS: There are many professional and semi professional racing drivers that are active on the service as well. A few times a year you will get into a race with them. It's a great feeling when you beat them or have a good race with them that you can brag about with your friends.

Thank you everyone for the great information!

I think what I will do for the time being is start working on driving manual trans in GT6 and save for a new computer. My wife is expecting in a few months so my game time will come to a close for some months after but at some point I will probably be comparing PCars and iRacing - the GT series is not cutting it for me anymore unless they make some big changes.

One more question:
I don't usually get game time until late (9-10pm ET). Are there series that run during that time frame - presumably on the west coast US? I obviously don't want to go through all this effort just to find that there are no races when I'm available.

Last edited:
Races are run 24/7, with exceptions of maintenance and during some promotion times certain series aren't available.

Some races are every hour on the hour, some are every 1 hour on the half-hour (1:30,2:30,3:30...) Some are every two hours. Just depends.

MX-5 is run every hour, and you'll have no problem finding people to race against.

When you are ready to go to something different, you can always look at the results of the past weeks for a series and see what the numbers are when you want to race.

Example, when I race Skip barber at 12:00am--2:00am(EST -5)there are at least 20+ racers at that time.

The beginner series (MX-5 & Oval Street Stocks) go official (More than 8 racers) I think pretty much all the time.

Some series don't have great participation, but it varies from season to season.

SRF has a race at 9-45pm EST, with decent attendance after the first couple of days, when most people haven't practiced enough yet.

When racing in a particular series (lets say the MX5 championship), do you race against the same grid every time or are you up against different drivers from one race to the next?

Every racer has an "Irating" their skill scores I guess is best way to say it. If you finish in top half of a race, you gain Irating, if you place in bottom half you lose irating.

Out of 16 grid race, if you finish first you gain the most, if you finish last you lose the most.

So you have an irating that follows you around. In rookie series you don't see it until you get a D license.

You are grouped into races by that number.

So you'll more than likely see same people if you race same time slot all the time, but it just depends on whose registered to race atm.

Thanks for the info I-NG, I suppose getting to know regular opponents, their strengths/weaknesses and developing rivalries will come later as you go up in class/license where the races are more 'stable'. I hear that the rookie races are a little 'chaotic'!

Every racer has an "Irating" their skill scores I guess is best way to say it. If you finish in top half of a race, you gain Irating, if you place in bottom half you lose irating.

Out of 16 grid race, if you finish first you gain the most, if you finish last you lose the most.

So you have an irating that follows you around. In rookie series you don't see it until you get a D license.

You are grouped into races by that number.

So you'll more than likely see same people if you race same time slot all the time, but it just depends on whose registered to race atm.

To add. Finishing in the top half of the field will no always guarantee iRating gain. Once you get into higher iRating levels, it all changes. I've had races where I finished 3rd out of 15 cars and lost iRating before, just because I had the highest iRating by some margine.

Thanks for the info I-NG, I suppose getting to know regular opponents, their strengths/weaknesses and developing rivalries will come later as you go up in class/license where the races are more 'stable'. I hear that the rookie races are a little 'chaotic'!

They are very chaotic but, the chaos can easily be avoided with careful planning.

Is the concern the clutch and H-Pattern shifter? I've been using the sequential shifter (the paddles on my wheel) with the auto-blip clutch feature and I'm enjoying it. Initially I only used the clutch because I wanted to simulate driving the car as much as possible because I used it to practice driving. But I found that I was way too busy shifting and not focusing enough on being smooth. So I've simplified and just focus on the basics and I'm driving a lot better now. You can be fast without using a clutch.

Is the concern the clutch and H-Pattern shifter? I've been using the sequential shifter (the paddles on my wheel) with the auto-blip clutch feature and I'm enjoying it. Initially I only used the clutch because I wanted to simulate driving the car as much as possible because I used it to practice driving. But I found that I was way too busy shifting and not focusing enough on being smooth. So I've simplified and just focus on the basics and I'm driving a lot better now. You can be fast without using a clutch.

No, my wheel has a sequential shifter and I think paddles as well (been a while since I've looked lol) so that's not an issue. My concern is I feel I'm losing too much concentration from the road - being smooth and following my line - when I try to use manual. To be fair, I haven't been persistent with it because I have always had the option to go auto.

I tried driving manual the other day using my DS3 in GT6 and couldn't even get my fingers figured out on the controller! Perhaps using the wheel will be easier in that sense. I've kind of packed it up at the moment but will have to get some more seat time.

Yeah, give it a try with the wheel and the paddle shifters. When you first start shifting, you'll have a tendency to over-shift (shifting too often to try to be in the high rpms). That extra rpm doesn't make that much of a difference sometimes but it can really upset the balance of the car if done at the wrong time. So less is more. Good luck.

Back