interesting discovery

• Thread starter bergauk
  • 24 comments
i decided today that it would be fun to try and drift a dodge charger 426 superbee today.
and i modded it fully up to 727 horsepower. and put super soft slicks onto it and started in gynkhama and found out that it drifts amazingly stock. but yeah. interesting discovery, i think im going to try to drift the larger muscle cars now. and see how they work

i think it might be the insane amount of torque they have. i just fitted a chevelle ss with everything as well then rann it around nurburgring and it was sliding through corners with supersoft racing slicks. the big blocks break traction so easily its rediculous.

800lb big-block up front, not too much out back...

Yeah, they're a bit tailhappy. Of course, they can be tamed at around 500hp on S3s. They won't be as quick as they should be, and hell on tires, but... They work.

thats a good point. i think ill spend some time on the suspension tonight and see what i can do to make it less tail happy. the bigblocks like to slide =]

Zero front toe or toe in, stiff front springs/stabilizers, soft out back.

They'll still want to rotate quite a bit due to the tail being so comparatively light.

Try the ford gt's there pretty good at drifting just slam on the brakes and it will drift all over the place,but if you put a ballast weight in the back it will slide everywhere

i decided today that it would be fun to try and drift a dodge charger 426 superbee today.
and i modded it fully up to 727 horsepower. and put super soft slicks onto it and started in gynkhama and found out that it drifts amazingly stock. but yeah. interesting discovery, i think im going to try to drift the larger muscle cars now. and see how they work

Which tires did you use?

Super Soft racing slicks, I enjoy grip and drifting at the same time, I dont think i did anything to the suspension component just the tranny. I Don't exactly remember what it was, it was a week ago.

Super Soft racing slicks, I enjoy grip and drifting at the same time, I dont think i did anything to the suspension component just the tranny. I Don't exactly remember what it was, it was a week ago.
Super soft racing tires have more traction than hard tires. And I don't think racing slicks is quiet the way to say it.

If you put too much power to the ground and turn off TCS they have an allright amount of traction but they still spin. Go take a photo in photomode and tell me they're not slicks. Or just look at the tires when you buy tuning parts for your car, they're slicks. Trust me.

So super soft slicks + lots of power. Interesting, i'll have to try that.

Just by coincidence, the Dodge Charger in my Avatar was running full power (STage 3) when i took that shot at High SPeed Ring.

So super soft slicks + lots of power. Interesting, i'll have to try that.

Just by coincidence, the Dodge Charger in my Avatar was running full power (STage 3) when i took that shot at High SPeed Ring.

Not exactly lots of power, just more power that hits the ground. There is a major difference between tires in GT4. Whenever I look at drift car setups on here, I notice that they use n1's and n3's, I just don't get it. Why use crummy tires when you can use the better tires?
Oh sweet, Chargers are pretty nice looking. Nice and balanced too.

Not exactly lots of power, just more power that hits the ground. There is a major difference between tires in GT4. Whenever I look at drift car setups on here, I notice that they use n1's and n3's, I just don't get it. Why use crummy tires when you can use the better tires?
Oh sweet, Chargers are pretty nice looking. Nice and balanced too.

Well usually people use cheap tires on cars that don't have alot of power. You have to go cheap if you want to break tires loose, sometimes. But i miss the days of GT2 when you could drift on good tires (like sports or even slicks) and it didn't take as much power...so things were more controllable.

Theoretically impossible, super soft racing is suppose to have athe highest end grip level yet it can skid aoround on tarmac, sounds interesting indeed. Needs furtherwork, if you ask me, pull some of those serious Tuners in here.

I think they do it because its free and one less thing to buy. Which is lame.

REally? no. I doubt that. N tires are simply the best to drift on if you don't have alot of power. I doubt people use them simply to save some credits. I mean i should know; i've been there. Many cars simply will not drift in GT4 unless they're on cheaper tires.

REally? no. I doubt that. N tires are simply the best to drift on if you don't have alot of power. I doubt people use them simply to save some credits. I mean i should know; i've been there. Many cars simply will not drift in GT4 unless they're on cheaper tires.

I drift high power cars, and my special '49 Beetle. I drive/drift them all on racing slicks. I simply cannot use N1's - N3's. I can't stop, cant slide around, nothing. It's too hard.

My understanding of it:

If you've got higher grip tyres, the car's handling and braking are more effective, and the car is able to generate higher forces while doing both.

Grippier-Tyres-Does-Improve-Braking Lecture
It's true that, in swapping for higher-grip tyres, you've not actually modified the brakes, but they are still effective for the reason that every single braking system on a car (with perhaps .01% exceptions in certain cars) is overkill; the only thing ever keeping the wheels from locking up under braking is ABS, which detects when the wheels are about to lock up, and releases some brake pressure. Applying grippier tyres means that the tyres are less prone to lock-up, and the brakes can be applied further and more intensely, and the braking improves.

Here's an experiment: Buy a Mitsubishi FTO, and test its behaviour under trail-braking first with S2 tyres, then with R3 tyres. With the S2 tyres, there is a moderate-to-high amount of forward weight transfer, and the forward weight transfer pushes the front tyres harder into the road while subtly lifting the rear tyres, giving the rear less traction than the front, allowing momentary oversteer in smallish doses. If you try the same thing with R3 tyres, the resultant huge braking force hurls the car forward, practically lifting the rear tyres, and giving you a possible huge, 70-degree-angle drift before the effective tyres grip the road again, and you exit the corner with full grip regained.

The same effect is at work in the muscle car, where higher-grip tyres yield driftability due to braking-weight-transfer. However, a muscle car, unlike the FTO I mentioned above, is a heavy car with lots of momentum, the momentum meaning that it has the ability to overcome the grippy tyres wanting to regrip mid-turn. Also, since it's a slow-to-respond muscle car, you won't be wrangling lightining-fast reflexes when using grippy tyres, so the slower reflexes mean the car is easier to control and thus drifting is easier.

In other words, the grippy tyres allow forward weight transfer under braking, which allows the rear to swing out, then the muscle cars' heavy, unresponsive handling allows the drift to plow onward, the weight overwhelming the tyres, and the unresponsiveness allowing much room for driver error. Actually, I found that my Mercury Cougar drifted much more easily on S2 tyres than any N-tyre I tried on it.

For these reasons, muscle cars in GT4 are actually brilliant at drifting in their own special way. All cars endure the weight transfer under braking, but if you try the same trick in a responsive car, you'll find every slight error in your driving hugely magnified through the huge grip. So you put grippy tyres on ungrippy cars, and ungrippy tyres on grippy cars. All this leads to my elegant conclusion regarding GT4 Drifting Tyre choice:

Equip your car with tyres just slippery enough to be able to controllably maintain drift without risking snapback, because uneffective tyres have trouble initiating drift.

My understanding of it:

If you've got higher grip tyres, the car's handling and braking are more effective, and the car is able to generate higher forces while doing both.

Grippier-Tyres-Does-Improve-Braking Lecture
It's true that, in swapping for higher-grip tyres, you've not actually modified the brakes, but they are still effective for the reason that every single braking system on a car (with perhaps .01% exceptions in certain cars) is overkill; the only thing ever keeping the wheels from locking up under braking is ABS, which detects when the wheels are about to lock up, and releases some brake pressure. Applying grippier tyres means that the tyres are less prone to lock-up, and the brakes can be applied further and more intensely, and the braking improves.

Here's an experiment: Buy a Mitsubishi FTO, and test its behaviour under trail-braking first with S2 tyres, then with R3 tyres. With the S2 tyres, there is a moderate-to-high amount of forward weight transfer, and the forward weight transfer pushes the front tyres harder into the road while subtly lifting the rear tyres, giving the rear less traction than the front, allowing momentary oversteer in smallish doses. If you try the same thing with R3 tyres, the resultant huge braking force hurls the car forward, practically lifting the rear tyres, and giving you a possible huge, 70-degree-angle drift before the effective tyres grip the road again, and you exit the corner with full grip regained.

The same effect is at work in the muscle car, where higher-grip tyres yield driftability due to braking-weight-transfer. However, a muscle car, unlike the FTO I mentioned above, is a heavy car with lots of momentum, the momentum meaning that it has the ability to overcome the grippy tyres wanting to regrip mid-turn. Also, since it's a slow-to-respond muscle car, you won't be wrangling lightining-fast reflexes when using grippy tyres, so the slower reflexes mean the car is easier to control and thus drifting is easier.

In other words, the grippy tyres allow forward weight transfer under braking, which allows the rear to swing out, then the muscle cars' heavy, unresponsive handling allows the drift to plow onward, the weight overwhelming the tyres, and the unresponsiveness allowing much room for driver error. Actually, I found that my Mercury Cougar drifted much more easily on S2 tyres than any N-tyre I tried on it.

For these reasons, muscle cars in GT4 are actually brilliant at drifting in their own special way. All cars endure the weight transfer under braking, but if you try the same trick in a responsive car, you'll find every slight error in your driving hugely magnified through the huge grip. So you put grippy tyres on ungrippy cars, and ungrippy tyres on grippy cars. All this leads to my elegant conclusion regarding GT4 Drifting Tyre choice:

Equip your car with tyres just slippery enough to be able to controllably maintain drift without risking snapback, because uneffective tyres have trouble initiating drift.

Perfect, simply perfect. Thats basically what I was getting at, just in a less wordy way, but thanks for elaborating on it.
Still I have no clue why you would want to race or drift on N1's or N2's or N3's, honestly I find it impossible. Although it might just be my preference.

Back