interesting insight into KY and a glimpse into GT's future

  • Thread starter Thread starter mav
  • 28 comments
  • 2,103 views

mav

Messages
89
Messages
mav1659
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3168942a7873,00.html

Gran Tourismo offers car branding opportunities

Unlike many of his more scurrilous car-yard counterparts, the world's best car salesman has never lied or pocketed a commission. But as the driving force behind the gaming world's premier driving simulation, Kazunori Yamauchi has influenced millions of car buyers.

The Gran Turismo series has sold more than 32 million copies, and has become so realistic that many car manufacturers are using the game as a marketing tool to promote their latest creations - even Australia's Ford and Holden. Manufacturers such as BMW, Subaru, Honda, Alfa Romeo, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota have distributed Gran Turismo demonstration discs as a way of enabling potential customers to sample new cars.

Gran Turismo 4, due in Australia in March, features Australian-made cars for the first time, with the Holden SS Commodore and Monaro Series 2, plus the new Ford Performance Vehicles GT and F6 Typhoon.

"It's a good way, from our point of view, to increase brand awareness and create an inspirational brand with the younger audiences," says Mark Behr, FPV product planning and brand marketing manager.

Holden licensing manager Jane Marshall says Holden supplied Sony with detailed data about its cars and would like to explore more opportunities with games such as GT: "We see it as a fantastic branding opportunity, developing enthusiasm and excitement, giving (people) the opportunity to experience the pleasure of actually driving our cars."

Yamauchi is pleased that Gran Turismo enables people to sample many different vehicles, and that car companies are using GT as a marketing tool. "We've seen it increasing," says Yamauchi. "We've been very happy about that. Their cars are what made us so passionate about driving, so it's good to give something back."

Yamauchi is just one of 80 astonishingly dedicated Japanese game developers who invested more than three years of their lives to make Gran Turismo 4. Most routinely slept under their desks and some went months without going home.

But GT4 can still be accurately described as Yamauchi's baby. Whereas most games in the West are designed by committee, Yamauchi is the sole visionary behind the Gran Turismo series.

A passionate, driven and focused designer, Yamauchi creates Gran Turismo titles not for the legions of fans, but for himself. The petrol hedonist had already logged more than 3000 laps with the game before it was finished, most of it on Nurburgring, the world's toughest 21-kilometre circuit.

Seven years after the first Gran Turismo was released, Yamauchi is still surprised by the simulation's success. "We really are kind of car nerds, but the game has surprisingly wide appeal. It's true that I really make it for me, but it makes me happy that so many people have enjoyed driving the game."

Gran Turismo product manager Jason Fitzgerald says it is Yamauchi's zeal and commitment that makes GT the ultimate driving simulation. "He has an absolute passion for cars and the experience of driving. In 100 years we might have run out of petrol, but Kazunori appreciates cars for what they are today, everyone else takes them for granted. He appreciates their design, handling, feel, their art.

"He is the director, even more so than Hollywood directors. He decides on the look, the feel, the way it plays, the physics, everything. GT is such a quality game because he does look after every detail."

Fitzgerald adds that Yamauchi is a "total workaholic", usually working from 11am until 4am, and even longer when a deadline is approaching. "But he has so much passion and enthusiasm, I think it doesn't feel like work. He's enjoying every moment."

Yamauchi says he was committed to painstaking realism in GT4 and pushing PlayStation2 to its limit. But the game has become so realistic (and consequently demanding) that a mode was introduced where the game almost plays itself, a recognition that the average punter has no chance of ever successfully mastering a course such as Nurburgring in an exotic, high-performance car.

Known as B-Spec, the new mode is like an interactive replay, where users direct how aggressive the computer-controlled driver should be as the car winds around the circuit.

"This is a driving simulator where you don't drive at all, simply specifying the driving pace like a director or race team manager," explains Yamauchi, who hopes the mode will assist beginners and entertain aficionados.

"I like trying to drive a lap in under seven minutes on Nurburgring," he says. "I enjoy trying to get a best time, but I know that not everybody is like me. I hope that B-Spec will be able to be enjoyed by many different players." Yamauchi has a vision of "Gran Turismo cafes", where fans can relax over a beer or coffee "and watch the beautiful cars compete".

Many players will consider B-Spec an esoteric addition, but Gran Turismo 4 is hardly lacking content. It has 700 cars and 50 circuits.

Yamauchi describes the cars as GT's "actors". The range is staggering, including concept cars, memorable vehicles from the '70s, '80s and '90s, historical cars going back to 1886, and highly customised street racers with superchargers and nitrogen boosts. There are too many desirable rides to mention, including cars from manufacturers such as Ford and BMW that have yet to hit showrooms.

But including so many vehicles was not a simple task. It took one designer a day to construct a virtual ride for the original PlayStation game, but the staggering detail in GT4 means that each car constituted a month's work.

"Car culture is a very segmented world, with disparate, individual tastes," Yamauchi explains. "To try to realise those different tastes and worlds, we needed 650 cars. Actually, I wanted double the number, but it wasn't possible."

The game includes a combination of new tracks and old favourites, blending real circuits with fictional layouts. Every track was rebuilt, starting from course measurements, to improve their accuracy.

On tracks such as California's Laguna Seca, dedicated players will notice the topography is more accurate, while the increased detail is also evident in old GT favourites such as Tokyo Route 246. Yamauchi says the proof of the game's realism is that GT lap times at each circuit accurately match real-world performance in any car.

New tracks include El Capitan, a scenic tour of the Yosemite National Park, and Infineon Raceway, an American mecca for the tuning crowd. Japan's cherished Suzuka is also finally included.

Yamauchi explains that Gran Turismo in Italian means a trip around the countries. "Our philosophy is to try to provide driving entertainment, but also provide the joy of travelling around the world."

The game's graphics are breathtaking, pushing the ageing PlayStation2 hardware beyond what was thought possible. The sense of speed when driving and the astonishing detail of the cars and spectacular roadside scenery must be experienced to be appreciated.

The human element has also been improved, making previous games in the series seem sterile. Crowds are more lifelike, particularly on rally courses, where fans occasionally run out to take photos before scrambling to safety. Pit stops feature realistic mechanics, and when driving a convertible you can watch an astonishingly accurate driver constantly moving, steering and changing gears.

Realistic vehicle damage, something of a holy grail for GT fans, must wait until GT4's sequel. "With the current PS2 hardware, it is impossible to include vehicle damage without losing something else, and I don't want to compromise anything," Yamauchi says. "But it is still a feature I want to include in the future."

GT4 includes a Photo mode akin to automobile erotica, with users able to hook up a printer to their PS2s and produce realistic photos of their cars. Players can shoot their cars in front of backdrops such as New York, Shibuya, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Venice, and the photos would not look out of place on the cover of a motoring magazine.

B-Spec and Photo mode reveal much about Yamauchi's personality. "One of my dreams was to become a movie director, ever since I was in high school watching hit movies by Spielberg and Lucas. Part of that dream has been realised in the game. I put a lot of effort and work in the replay mode with different camera angles. And now you can also take photos and be a director."

Yamauchi has a long-term vision for the series, saying it will continue to develop alongside new technology and as a social record of new cars as they are released. He also recognises the product is already a behemoth and will need to specialise.

"I don't have any concrete plans at the moment, but I would like to make a kids' version of Gran Turismo, as well as a professional version and a tuning version," Yamauchi says. "There are so many aspects of car culture that I'd like to tackle.

"But, for now, we are ready to come up with an amazing game. I hope it will live up to your high expectations."
 
Well, this pretty much confirms what most of us have known all along... that all those people whining about "the game is not as realistic as it should because it would turn off regular players!" is just BS.
KY is aiming for total realisim, and that's why he came up with B-Spec... so we don't want to hear anymore people justifying arcadiness ok? ^_^
 
The most interesting part of this is...

"I don't have any concrete plans at the moment, but I would like to make a kids' version of Gran Turismo, as well as a professional version and a tuning version," Yamauchi says. "There are so many aspects of car culture that I'd like to tackle.
 
Interesting article. It is easy to forget the extreme hard work and dedication it took to create and finish this game. I cant imagine what it will take to make GT for Kids, GT Pro, GT5 Prolouge?, and then GT5 send my application to the development team. :) :dopey: 👍
 
Pity more focus isn't put into the actual racing of the cars... Instead we've got good handling 👍, crap AI 👎 & photomode/b-spec :irked:

Sounds like the future involves releasing even more 'little GT cash ins'....
 
T5-R
Pity more focus isn't put into the actual racing of the cars... Instead we've got good handling 👍, crap AI 👎 & photomode/b-spec :irked:

Sounds like the future involves releasing even more 'little GT cash ins'....



I actually Like Photomode, The pictures look great! and it'll be easy to make my car and use it as desktop wallpaper :) or show case them against other peoples pictures. But I know i'll like it

As for B-Spec I cant judge it since i havent played the game but for a person who cant really drive its a good thing for them. It'll be interesting to try out :)
 
Well I love cars and photography, I love taking photos of my own S2000 and M3 so the new Photo Mode is an awesome addition and adds to the long term replay value of GT4. A year from now, if I'm at 100% status, I'll probably still be playing GT4 and using Photo Mode.

The B-Spec is interesting, I'll probably give it a try but I think I could do without it.
 
mav
Well I love cars and photography, I love taking photos of my own S2000 and M3 so the new Photo Mode is an awesome addition and adds to the long term replay value of GT4. A year from now, if I'm at 100% status, I'll probably still be playing GT4 and using Photo Mode.

The B-Spec is interesting, I'll probably give it a try but I think I could do without it.

photomode turned out to be a lot more enterteining than i tought it would... but ONLY because they allowed to store the files on USB media, that alone makes photomode a lot more fun, because you can share your photos, but... it would be a LOT more intresting if the pictures were of personalized cars... i mean, there's not really much of a point in taking pictures of "your cars" when they look like anyone else's cars...
i really hope that GT5 allows for some level of personalization (not rice, just enough to make your car look different from stock.)
 
SaintKamus
photomode turned out to be a lot more enterteining than i tought it would... but ONLY because they allowed to store the files on USB media, that alone makes photomode a lot more fun, because you can share your photos, but... it would be a LOT more intresting if the pictures were of personalized cars... i mean, there's not really much of a point in taking pictures of "your cars" when they look like anyone else's cars...
i really hope that GT5 allows for some level of personalization (not rice, just enough to make your car look different from stock.)
agreed, more personalized autos would be nice for GT5. Though photomode was plain genius. When you finish a game and gain a lot of money it is easy to get bored of repeat the same thing over and over. However with photomode the different locations and angles and with a garage of 800+ cars Photomode can keep you busy for years to come just enough to keep busy until the PS3 and GT5.
 
Wait... I thought Photo Mode allows you to take pictures of your cars in your garage, including those with aftermarket wheels, wings, etc.

???
 
am not really bothered about the bodykits, the only thing i want is ONLINE MODE!! with that, GT will last forever!!!
 
SaintKamus
Well, this pretty much confirms what most of us have known all along... that all those people whining about "the game is not as realistic as it should because it would turn off regular players!" is just BS.
KY is aiming for total realisim, and that's why he came up with B-Spec... so we don't want to hear anymore people justifying arcadiness ok? ^_^

If he is aiming for total realism, why doesn't he just do it? The game has it's realistic aspects, but also lots of very unrealistic aspects. Some can't be helped because of the hardware and licencing restrictions, but many unrealistic aspects in the game would not be an issue anymore if he would be aiming for total realism. Also he still wants to make an even more professional version of the game. Hmmm, looks to me that the realism in GT4 isn't as realistic as it can be.

I'm not the kind of gamer that wants über realistic driving, but I want to have the impression of racing a real car. That is what PD have succeeded in quite well.
 
Good article. Thanks for the read.

Yeah, GT4 is tight. Going to be an excellent game.

PjotrStroganov
If he is aiming for total realism, why doesn't he just do it? The game has it's realistic aspects, but also lots of very unrealistic aspects. Some can't be helped because of the hardware and licencing restrictions, but many unrealistic aspects in the game would not be an issue anymore if he would be aiming for total realism. Also he still wants to make an even more professional version of the game. Hmmm, looks to me that the realism in GT4 isn't as realistic as it can be.

1) Please list some of the things that you want to be more realistic. I'm not saying there can't be more realism in GT4. But for you to say that while not giving examples is very vague,

2) If you're only making one game. You can't make it cater too much to any one group or genre. As he stated, there are many different groups of car enthusiasts out there. So his statement is quite justified as I see it. I'd like to see specialized versions of GT. It would give the developers much more flexibility. Just like there are specialized RPG's, why couldn't PD become a slightly larger company and create specialized driving games?
 
More realistic bits for the GTPro for me would be: Break Wear, Tire failures, Mechnical Failures, Wall Riding eliminated!, and adding racing decals and aero packages(not just a rear wing, but air spilters and diffusers). 👍
 
I don't know for the international members but those in the US who played MCO will know what I'm talking about. PD, in order to make a "car" game that is really realistic needs to take it online and they should take some lessons from the best online car game ever. For me that would make the series perfect. For some reason EA lost interest and became a gay arcade type of company. In MCO you could tune your car as far as the type of piston rings and now all they have are parts that increase a bar labled "handling", it is soo weak.
 
Swift
Good article. Thanks for the read.

Yeah, GT4 is tight. Going to be an excellent game.



1) Please list some of the things that you want to be more realistic. I'm not saying there can't be more realism in GT4. But for you to say that while not giving examples is very vague,

2) If you're only making one game. You can't make it cater too much to any one group or genre. As he stated, there are many different groups of car enthusiasts out there. So his statement is quite justified as I see it. I'd like to see specialized versions of GT. It would give the developers much more flexibility. Just like there are specialized RPG's, why couldn't PD become a slightly larger company and create specialized driving games?

1) For instance clutch control, more realistic behaviour of the car(such as understeer and wheelspin), better AI. Things that I can do without, but which can be made more realistic.

2) It maybe didn't become clear but I was critizising SaintKamus for the remark he made about the game not being "softened up" for casual gamers. I was just stating that this isn't true. In fact, you are saying the same thing. The game is softened up for all players to enjoy it.
 
Swift
1) Please list some of the things that you want to be more realistic. I'm not saying there can't be more realism in GT4. But for you to say that while not giving examples is very vague,

This wasn't asked to me, but I'll add my two cents:

I would have no problem if Photomode and B-Spec weren't there. I could also love this game with half the cars it has.

But I want just 4 (FOUR) realism issues solved in GT5:

"It's midnight and I'm racing the 24h Nurb with the yellow Audi R8. It's NIGHT (1st one) and visibility has dramatically decreased since 6:30 PM. Sometimes I see the tail lights of that damned Bentley I've been trying to catch up for at least one hour, sometimes I get the feeling the headlights of the Pescarolo I doubled 4 laps ago are again aproaching. I've some problems with doubling the GT class cars. They are many, at least 20 of them started this race (2nd one), they are slower than me but fast anyway, and even if they give me room to go ahead in the straights (3rd one), I think the AI protos have the advantage on me in this "traffic" issue ... I guess only perfecting my dricving skills will do in this matter.

OH, NO ... it's starting to rain !!!! (4th one). Damn ... another unscheduled pitstop ... I just hope I get there with less than four spins in half a lap!"

I can dream, can't I ?

:)


PS - Don't get me wrong. I could do without extra-realism also. As an example, I'd like to be able to save endurance races, at least while in the pits, and that's not realistic :dopey:
 
PjotrStroganov
1) For instance clutch control, more realistic behaviour of the car(such as understeer and wheelspin), better AI. Things that I can do without, but which can be made more realistic.

2) It maybe didn't become clear but I was critizising SaintKamus for the remark he made about the game not being "softened up" for casual gamers. I was just stating that this isn't true. In fact, you are saying the same thing. The game is softened up for all players to enjoy it.

"softening up" has no place in a simulator, for those players you have driving aids, even cornering aid with braking aid (not just ABS.) and of course features allready in such as B-Spec.

the problem with the GT series hasn't actually been the "softening up" it just happened to be there because KY has allways made compromises for graphics... (no damage for instance, BIG aid right there, not even slow down after a big crash.)

The fact that it doesn't have damage is actually good with the current level of AI (which is also result of compromise in both procesing power and to a higher extent.. developing time) in ANY GT game, i'd be pissed as hell is damage was available just to have my car wrecked by stupid AI on the first corner.

physics in GT series had always been mediocre untill GT4 (despite KY saying that GT3 was simulation like realism... FAR from it.)

all of those things made the gameplay easier and feel more "arcade" when in fact it wasn't the actual intention...
but for GT5 they have no excuses, i for one much rather have KY sacrifice graphics this time around in favour of a more complete sim experience, and i think he'll do just that... even if they only used half the CPU for graphic power (the rest for physics, sound, car quantity, etc.) the results would still be stuning.

but anyway, i don't share your view that the game has been "softened down" so it can be enjoyed by evryone, they made B-Spec for that, and they have Gran Turismo for kids in the works for those kind of people, you wouldn't see anyone critizise GT as much if the game didn't have a "simulator" tag on it's title... but it does, so it's gotta be as real as it can get.

the thing most people don't realize is that racing (with real cars of course). is VERY exciting, and not becaues it's easy, but because it's CHALLENGING.
replicating the experience on a game actually brings the exitement along pretty damn well.
so as far as car simulations go, more realisim = more fun, sure it takes a lot more time to learn than it takes to learn an arcade game... but there are TONS of arcade games out there, this just isn't one of them, so stop wanting it to be one.
 
mav
Wait... I thought Photo Mode allows you to take pictures of your cars in your garage, including those with aftermarket wheels, wings, etc.

???

Can someone answer this please?
 
PjotrStroganov
1) For instance clutch control, more realistic behaviour of the car(such as understeer and wheelspin), better AI. Things that I can do without, but which can be made more realistic.

2) It maybe didn't become clear but I was critizising SaintKamus for the remark he made about the game not being "softened up" for casual gamers. I was just stating that this isn't true. In fact, you are saying the same thing. The game is softened up for all players to enjoy it.

I agree and cool...my bad. I misunderstood. :dopey:

Hun200kmh
This wasn't asked to me, but I'll add my two cents:

I would have no problem if Photomode and B-Spec weren't there. I could also love this game with half the cars it has.

But I want just 4 (FOUR) realism issues solved in GT5:

PS - Don't get me wrong. I could do without extra-realism also. As an example, I'd like to be able to save endurance races, at least while in the pits, and that's not realistic

Yeah, I can certainly see that. And you SHOULD be able to save during endurance races for the sheer fact that you may not always have time to finish it.

SaintKumus, I see where you're coming from. I have one question though, have you driven a car on a race track before? just asking.

Mav
Can someone answer this please?

I'm not sure, but that's what this looks like :)
 
Clutching -- would be f'n awesome, but would have to be switchable(on/off) because it is virtually impossible with a controller, now a DFP with a clutch pedal...yeah, buddy!
I don't understand where everybody is getting this "softened-up" thing.
If you think about it, Gran Turismo has really always been as hard as you make it.

The first things that need to happen to increase realism are :
variable weather and time-of-day.
 
SaintKamus
"softening up" has no place in a simulator, for those players you have driving aids, even cornering aid with braking aid (not just ABS.) and of course features allready in such as B-Spec.

the problem with the GT series hasn't actually been the "softening up" it just happened to be there because KY has allways made compromises for graphics... (no damage for instance, BIG aid right there, not even slow down after a big crash.)

The fact that it doesn't have damage is actually good with the current level of AI (which is also result of compromise in both procesing power and to a higher extent.. developing time) in ANY GT game, i'd be pissed as hell is damage was available just to have my car wrecked by stupid AI on the first corner.

physics in GT series had always been mediocre untill GT4 (despite KY saying that GT3 was simulation like realism... FAR from it.)

all of those things made the gameplay easier and feel more "arcade" when in fact it wasn't the actual intention...
but for GT5 they have no excuses, i for one much rather have KY sacrifice graphics this time around in favour of a more complete sim experience, and i think he'll do just that... even if they only used half the CPU for graphic power (the rest for physics, sound, car quantity, etc.) the results would still be stuning.

but anyway, i don't share your view that the game has been "softened down" so it can be enjoyed by evryone, they made B-Spec for that, and they have Gran Turismo for kids in the works for those kind of people, you wouldn't see anyone critizise GT as much if the game didn't have a "simulator" tag on it's title... but it does, so it's gotta be as real as it can get.

the thing most people don't realize is that racing (with real cars of course). is VERY exciting, and not becaues it's easy, but because it's CHALLENGING.
replicating the experience on a game actually brings the exitement along pretty damn well.
so as far as car simulations go, more realisim = more fun, sure it takes a lot more time to learn than it takes to learn an arcade game... but there are TONS of arcade games out there, this just isn't one of them, so stop wanting it to be one.


I see what you are saying. Indeed, limitations of hardware is a major factor that causes the game to have limits to its realism. Still, I think there is a degree of softening up the game. But hey, I'm saying this because I have heard this from other people. I haven't even played the game for myself. :p
 
PjotrStroganov
I see what you are saying. Indeed, limitations of hardware is a major factor that causes the game to have limits to its realism. Still, I think there is a degree of softening up the game. But hey, I'm saying this because I have heard this from other people. I haven't even played the game for myself. :p

GT3 and the rest of the GT's were softened up a bit. Remember, the vast majority of the players of the GT series are NOT serious car enthusiasts. So they wouldn't know how to handle that.
 
mav
Can someone answer this please?

I don't have the game yet, but there is another thread about Muscle Cars w/aftermarket wheels. They have a few examples of photo mode cars that have after market wheels. I believe that whatever they look like in your garage, they will look the same in photo mode. IGN just posted an in depth look at the photo mode today (thursday jan 27). That might be helpful to you.
 
cjrciadt
agreed, more personalized autos would be nice for GT5. Though photomode was plain genius. When you finish a game and gain a lot of money it is easy to get bored of repeat the same thing over and over. However with photomode the different locations and angles and with a garage of 800+ cars Photomode can keep you busy for years to come just enough to keep busy until the PS3 and GT5.
Its kind of ironic but Phtomode would be much more at home in Forza.
 
Swift
SaintKumus, I see where you're coming from. I have one question though, have you driven a car on a race track before? just asking.

Yes i have, i've driven my current car on one, never in a racing enviroment, and never too hard (don't want to kill my tyres in 1 day, same goes for the brake pads.. which start smelling funny after a few corners.)
 
SaintKamus
Yes i have, i've driven my current car on one, never in a racing enviroment, and never too hard (don't want to kill my tyres in 1 day, same goes for the brake pads.. which start smelling funny after a few corners.)

Ok, well when you go at speed it's different. Challenging really isn't what's on your mind. It's more like, stay on the course and go fast. But don't die or kill anyone else. I'm not saying you need to have been in a race to understand what the challenge is about driving, but it helps when you've driving a car at speed around a track for a little while. It really opens your eyes to how good some of these games are.
 
Back