Intermittent inability to type text on mobile

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
WarriusZero
I've seen another running thread with recent issues observed with the RTE. My issue seems slightly different so I'll ask in a separate thread.

On Chrome for Android 7.0, I've noticed that sometimes, the reply box stops taking in any input. Spaces appear instead of the expected letters I'm typing, in both editing modes.

It tends to happen in longer posts and after a while (I can't reproduce it consistently).

To get rid of the issue, I save a draft and refresh the tab.

Have others seen this behaviour? Can you share your observations?

PS: obviously I could not reproduce the issue while writing this post...

It happened to me too recently. The only connection I could figure out was that I had more than one tab opened. Then I stuck to one tab and the issue disappeared. Though, I can't guarantee that my diagnostic is 100% correct.

I've seen another running thread with recent issues observed with the RTE. My issue seems slightly different so I'll ask in a separate thread.

On Chrome for Android 7.0, I've noticed that sometimes, the reply box stops taking in any input. Spaces appear instead of the expected letters I'm typing, in both editing modes.

It tends to happen in longer posts and after a while (I can't reproduce it consistently).

To get rid of the issue, I save a draft and refresh the tab.

Have others seen this behaviour? Can you share your observations?

PS: obviously I could not reproduce the issue while writing this post...

What happens if you post the "empty" text, do you find the letters are actually posted? My initial thought is that the font isn't loading or is being un-loaded.

There haven't been any recent changes to the editor, although, as you've noted, Android Chrome has a long history of issues with it. My current advice would be to switch to the plain-text editor for the time being.

Yes, that's correct. The one that you access by clicking on the wrench icon in the top right.

What happens if you post the "empty" text, do you find the letters are actually posted? My initial thought is that the font isn't loading or is being un-loaded.

The spaces appear as shown when the problem occures while typing. I had it happen a week or so ago. Had to move to my laptop to edit the post.

Not sure if the issue is related, but I've noticed that the formating of the site is also off while I'm using Chrome.

Android version 6.0.1
Chrome 54.0.2840.68

Screenshot_20161027-233118.png

Screenshot_20161027-232950.png

There haven't been any recent changes to the editor, although, as you've noted, Android Chrome has a long history of issues with it. My current advice would be to switch to the plain-text editor for the time being.

Sorry for the very late reply. Switching to the plain text editor doesn't help.

I've just reproduced the issue by opening a new tab pointing to the gtplanet forum.

I posted this reply and edited to add my latest observations. The issue wasn't gone, I had to refresh the page before editing to be able to carry on.

Just a thought...
I wonder if perhaps your (and others) keyboard has updated itself recently @WarriusZero ?

I had a very similar problem a good while back which I eventually solved by deleting the keyboard updates and reverting back to the default. I waited for when a later update came out, tried that and this seemed to fix it.
Perhaps trying a different keyboard app might also help.

Not sure if the issue is related, but I've noticed that the formating of the site is also off while I'm using Chrome.
I'm not sure what would cause that, and I don't have an Android phone to verify or test, but your font sizes look off.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Sorry for the very late reply. Switching to the plain text editor doesn't help.

I've just reproduced the issue by opening a new tab pointing to the gtplanet forum.

I posted this reply and edited to add my latest observations. The issue wasn't gone, I had to refresh the page before editing to be able to carry on.
As mentioned by IfAndOr, this is likely a keyboard software issue — especially if it's affecting you in the plain text editor. The plain text editor is just that — a plain HTML text form — so there's no JavaScript or other site elements which could be interfering with it.

See if this helps. In Chrome, go into Settings - Accessibility and change Text scaling to 100%.

If that doesn't do it (or if it's already at 100%), in Android go into Settings - Display - Font and change it to small.
Is anyone else experiencing this?
Same Android and Chrome versions and everything looks fine on my end.

TB
See if this helps. In Chrome, go into Settings - Accessibility and change Text scaling to 100%.

If that doesn't do it (or if it's already at 100%), in Android go into Settings - Display - Font and change it to small.

Same Android and Chrome versions and everything looks fine on my end.

Adjusted the font size in Chome, which was a whopping 123%, and it seems like it's helped it in most cases. Might be off when a page first loads, but it might still be applying the changes. Seems that was the issue. I always try to keep my font sizes a bit larger than normal, since my eye sight isn't the greatest, but it's nice to know that that was the issue.

I didn't even know you could change the font size on a mobile device. The more you know! Thanks!

Last edited:
@Jordan I've just experienced the issue with SwiftKey for the first time, the alternative keyboard I installed just for gtplanet.

It may not just be a keyboard issue.

And I realise this is not much to investigate with. So I'll start with switching to a device with a different version of Android.

I have had this issue myself, both on GTPlanet and off of GTPlanet. I also an android with a Galaxy Edge 7 and I believe the latest software so I don't think it's a GTP issue but either Android, Samsung, or Google issue.

I have had this issue myself, both on GTPlanet and off of GTPlanet. I also an android with a Galaxy Edge 7 and I believe the latest software so I don't think it's a GTP issue but either Android, Samsung, or Google issue.

Thanks for your input. You can take Samsung out of the equation since I have a Nexus.

Have this issue as well - running a vanilla ZTE ZMax pro on the newest Android and sometimes the keyboard gives up entirely. This happens randomly for me - could be my first post of the day or my 50th how do you spell that in English?. Problem does not exist on my Samsung Tab A, which leads me to suspect that the phone hardware and memory may have something to do with it.

I usually resolve it by switching tabs.

I had this the other day. I noticed if I held the letter for longer than the usual tap it did start typing. Was slow as heck but was only doing my telephone number.

Latest Posts

Back