Intermittent WiFi Problem

Pedal-Force

Premium
Pedal-Force
I'm having a strange WiFi problem that I can't figure out. Despite part of my job being dealing with cellular and WiFi connections, I can't figure this one out.

Occasionally all the WiFi devices connected to my router (D-Link) will lose connection around the same time, but not at the exact same time. The PS3 which is connected locally, will not lose connection.

The laptops have to be "repaired" with the wireless wizard to work again.

So for example, at 5:32 my computer might lose connection, and then at 5:35 my mom's computer might lose connection. I've tried to note the times these happen, but there isn't any type of pattern. I've checked the DHCP settings but I've got the lease set to 3 hours and it sometimes happens more frequently or less frequently than that.

Everything that I can figure out in the router seems fine. I don't know where this problem started from, because I don't think anything changed on my side.

I tried updating the firmware in the router, but that didn't help.

It seems to have happened around the time that the cable upgraded my internet from 5 Mbps to 8 Mbps and I needed to reset my modem. But I'm not sure how it could be on their side when I don't think the PS3 loses connection, or any laptops that I plug in directly.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss, and it's getting annoying having to repair my connection multiple times a day.

Thanks.

I've just got out the exact same situation earlier today. Try changing the channel your router works on by manually selecting one. Mine was set on Auto and always selected channel 1 like every other wifi router in the area, this appears to of caused interference and hence dropped connection. I manually selected a different channel and it works a treat.

Alright, I just tried that. Put it on Channel 10 and we'll see how it goes. Why wouldn't the router correctly choose the correct channel? That seems pretty stupid, but it definitely seems plausible.

Is anyone using the Microwave at the same time these go out. Channel/Signal conflicts often arise when some outside source (like a microwave) is applied disrupting the handshake. Just out of curiousity, are you using a heavy encryption with this. If so the handshake of the wireless signal is too fickle and the jitter of natural wireless signal is too much.

Back