Internal differences of T300RS vs T300RS GT

sgohsixthree

SRM High Lord Dictator & Emperor Supreme
Premium
United States
CA
smcinnis
I'm interested in the bases specifically, I understand the GT set comes with the 3 pedal set & GT Rim otherwise. The bases are also slightly different (externally the GT has a PS logo on it).

Anyone aware of any internal differences on the bases? Specifically if the GT version has improved cooling?

On Amazon right now both versions of the set are on sale:

Thrustmaster T300RS $249

Thrustmaster T300RS GT $299

Are the bases exactly the same just different production models?

I have a functional original T300RS base, but it seems to overheat pretty fast and overall force feedback feels less than when purchased. I'm considering trading in the base to Amazon as Thrustmaster VG T300RS Racing Wheel Servo Base, but it looks to be the newer version used on the GT set. Hopefully its the same, I could use that trade in value towards the new one. I wonder if Amazon would reject it. :boggled:

Edit: After doing some more research, it looks like these all use the same UPC.
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 10.34.51 AM.png

So I'm going to go ahead and trade it in to Amazon and see how that goes. Instant credit is nice so I can get my new wheel before I have to ship out the old one.

Last edited:
Same. The rs is older stock. Maybe the gt being newer may give it newer firmware, but update immediately no matter the case?
However, for a xtra 50 to get the 599 rim which is 1" bigger than stock, the cone mod and a clutch.
Thats a no brainer, unless u want a loadcell, then u are BONED and get ready to shell out bucks.

IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG
version has improved cooling

You are concerned about cooling? Here was my cost effective and easy solution to cooling issues.

You can use the above video to show how to dismantle your wheel. I made a template of the fan and simply transferred to the wheel base. I had to cut a small section of the base to accommodate the usb wire. The fan extracts the heat from inside your wheel. Since this install my wheel never over heats. Don't forget the always on fan option, can be programmed for your T300, This 40mm fan option is an added solution.

Measure twice, cut once. The fan plugs into my 4 port usb hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M/?tag=gtplanet-20

40MM fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YGZHQG/?tag=gtplanet-20
4 screws and bolts
4 small O rings
drill bit, same size as the screws or a tad bit bigger.

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

Last edited:
View attachment 749912 View attachment 749913 View attachment 749914 View attachment 749915

You are concerned about cooling? Here was my cost effective and easy solution to cooling issues.

You can use the above video to show how to dismantle your wheel. I made a template of the fan and simply transferred to the wheel base. I had to cut a small section of the base to accommodate the usb wire. The fan extracts the heat from inside your wheel. Since this install my wheel never over heats. Don't forget the always on fan option, can be programmed for your T300, This 40mm fan option is an added solution.

Measure twice, cut once. The fan plugs into my 4 port usb hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M/?tag=gtplanet-20

40MM fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YGZHQG/?tag=gtplanet-20
4 screws and bolts
4 small O rings
drill bit, same size as the screws or a tad bit bigger.

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

That's cleaner than @mphile77 's solution. Which is solid and still works well for him.

I received a brand new T300 GT set, and my god, I've been playing with a borked base the whole time! The one I had been using I bought on Amazon used, and figured thats just how it is. This new one is so tight and so quiet compared to that. Everything feels far more responsive. As far as heat, I just might go ahead and do that mod. For now I have forced cooling turned on.

That's cleaner than @mphile77 's solution. Which is solid and still works well for him.

I received a brand new T300 GT set, and my god, I've been playing with a borked base the whole time! The one I had been using I bought on Amazon used, and figured thats just how it is. This new one is so tight and so quiet compared to that. Everything feels far more responsive. As far as heat, I just might go ahead and do that mod. For now I have forced cooling turned on.
Yes do the mod as well, your wheel and wallet will thank you :D, trust me nobody has killed more junkmasters than me :lol: (currently on #4 :scared:)

No overheating problems at all if you enable forced cooling mode.

I enabled it on the brand new one, and seem to be loosing some feedback after about an hour or so. Time to look into game settings I guess.

I'm interested in the bases specifically, I understand the GT set comes with the 3 pedal set & GT Rim otherwise. The bases are also slightly different (externally the GT has a PS logo on it).

Anyone aware of any internal differences on the bases? Specifically if the GT version has improved cooling?

On Amazon right now both versions of the set are on sale:

Thrustmaster T300RS $249

Thrustmaster T300RS GT $299

Are the bases exactly the same just different production models?

I have a functional original T300RS base, but it seems to overheat pretty fast and overall force feedback feels less than when purchased. I'm considering trading in the base to Amazon as Thrustmaster VG T300RS Racing Wheel Servo Base, but it looks to be the newer version used on the GT set. Hopefully its the same, I could use that trade in value towards the new one. I wonder if Amazon would reject it. :boggled:

Edit: After doing some more research, it looks like these all use the same UPC.
View attachment 749707
So I'm going to go ahead and trade it in to Amazon and see how that goes. Instant credit is nice so I can get my new wheel before I have to ship out the old one.

I know this is an old post, but I found because I was trying to see the difference between the Thrustmaster T300RS and the GT version. Besides the pedals, if I'm reading your update correctly, you're saying the wheels sit on the exact same base? I'm confused because in Amazon the T300RS says it was released in 2018, but the T300RS GT version was released in 2016. The GT version is listed for $399, but the T300RS is only $279. The main reason I was looking at this wheel is because I have PS4 and want to be able to change out my wheel to an F1 style wheel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is an old post, but I found because I was trying to see the difference between the Thrustmaster T300RS and the GT version. Besides the pedals, if I'm reading your update correctly, you're saying the wheels sit on the exact same base? I'm confused because in Amazon the T300RS says it was released in 2018, but the T300RS GT version was released in 2016. The GT version is listed for $399, but the T300RS is only $279. The main reason I was looking at this wheel is because I have PS4 and want to be able to change out my wheel to an F1 style wheel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Besides a few decals and the GT logo on the wheel, the base and wheel seem to be the same. In fact if I remember, the models numbers are the same. The main difference in the bundles in the pedals. The RS setup is the 2 pedal and the GT comes with the 3rd clutch pedal.

Both should work with all Thrustmaster add on wheels, pedals and shifters. Hope that helps.

Back