International Trends in America

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 5 comments
  • 500 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
Recently, I believe that Japanese and European automobiles are really catching on here in America. So let's see what's been going on since I've been into automobiles (1999-ish). Ford brings the Focus to America. Toyota brings the Bb to America under new company Scion and under the name "Xb." BMW "re-invents" the Mini and brings it to the States as well as in Europe. Nissan may bring Japan's Cube and then the Micra to America. Oh, and let's not forget the first tastes of the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer. What's happened since then? The Japanese fight with the Impreza/Lancer has gone stateside! Of course, the first Lancer from Japan was this dorky, low-powered... basically "econo-box." Nowadays, we get that Evo 8, and that bad boy is pretty mean. Holden's Monaro goes not only to America, but also to Europe. America has the Monaro as the "GTO," and if you ask me, it's the most stylish offering from Pontiac, I don't care what anyone says. People said it was too bland looking and wasn't as aggressive, but I like this car, even if it isn't from America. A certain trend America won't get soon is that European-styled Ford Focus from the Beijing Auto Show. It's a great shame because I like Euro styling (if I don't like Australian style, of course).

GTPlanet, let's talk about some of the international trends in America as of late.
 
Where have you been for like the last few years. Cars from countries other than America have been popular in America for quite awhile.
 
The most interesting thing is that GM is bringing platforms designed in other places (Europe, Australia) to the US in the form of the sigma architecture and GTO. These purportedly offer "european" flavor..but I dont think there is a difference from the reviews I've read.
 
You know, there was a machine I forgot to mention- the Lotus Elise available in America with an engine by Toyota. But I'm mostly talking about machinery not really sold in America unless you import. From what I heard during one of Speed Channel's segments of "The World's Greatest Auto Shows: ???" I think the Elise was described to me as the most affordable supercar. And look at it. It's lightweight, has some very nice performance numbers... all without having something like a V-10 or V-12, so it's not a "traditional" supercar, but a superB machine. But to me, I think some machines not normally sold in America are being sold now in America. I never read up on it, but I heard the Ford Focus RS isn't sold in America, but would be a sick machine to have in your driveway if you're in the States.
 
I think drifting got really big here in the U.S. Then it was glamorized by the riciest movie! ( Fast and the furious series)
 
lethalAE86typeR
I think drifting got really big here in the U.S. Then it was glamorized by the riciest movie! ( Fast and the furious series)

I think Initial D made drifting so popular here and also those best motoring videos on kazaa :) Nobody knew what a Hachi-Roku was back in 1999-2000 now it's like oh yeah Initial D,AE86,Trueno and stuff.
 
Back