Internet connection affecting online lag

  • Thread starter Thread starter marcus_war
  • 3 comments
  • 539 views
Messages
484
Cuba
Charleston, SC
Messages
that's classified
I wasn't able to find a thread addressing my exact problem.

I use an internet connection through a phone line. I go into a lobby with 10-12 people, and I'm either disconnected, or I'm lagging badly. I've tried wireless, but the connection is not strong enough to support anything. I've tried adjusting my PS3 settings, but quite honestly, I don't know what the .... I'm doing. So I stop.

Is there anyone else with this kind of connection problem?
 
Phone lines are tremendously slow for internet connectivity, which makes it almost useless for gaming unless you're playing turn-based games. There's no adjustment you can make aside from switching to high-speed internet, sorry.
 
Try smaller lobbies or try creating your own with lower max numbers and so on.

Dial-up is no barrier to gaming overall because your console actually transmits low amounts of data. That's why the neanderthal crotch-holding "I pull 100mbps!" argument is so flawed :D

To prove the point I once played a full night of the notoriously laggy Forza 3 on dial-up without a single incidence of lag (or DNCs) in the full lobbies where I played. PSN actually puts a very similar amount of data across the bridge when compared to XBL, so it should be equally do-able.
 
Back