Internet so slooooow

• Thread starter shmogt
  • 16 comments
shmogt
My Internet for some reason is slow. I have a first gen airport extreme with high speed Internet and have never had any problems in speed or range. My ps3 is in the basement and I used to get 50% signal, but I had nat3 so I changed it all to get nat2 and got only a couple weeks of good online until this extreme slowness happened. Now I get 15-20% signal strength and can't do anything without being signed out. I use my ps3 as a media centre and also have a computer next to it that is equally slow. Now my question is what would the prob be? I was thinking router, but Internet is slow on my comp which is close to router and another comp which is plugged directly in and is slow so not the wireless for that one. If anyone has knows what's wrong or has tips to speed things up please tell me because this is getting crazy.

Grayfox
Restart the modem router.

But it may be dieing.

+1

Do it a few times if it doesn't fix it at first, turn it off for 10 seconds, then 30, then a minute, 5 minutes, etc.

But yes your router may be dying. I suggest you contact your ISP (your Internet service provider) and let them know, they may be able to give you a deal on a new router, or replace your dying one.

Don't buy ISP modem/routers, they are basic and expensive.

Get a Cisco, D-Link or NetGear one from a retail store.

I use a Cisco WAG320 and it is very good.

Grayfox
Don't buy ISP modem/routers, they are basic and expensive.

Get a Cisco, D-Link or NetGear one from a retail store.

I use a Cisco WAG320 and it is very good.

We're getting a free one and a T-Hub from Telstra for upgrading our plan to something better that's cheaper... They confuse me sometimes.

Would you be able to suggest a decent router for a decent price?

We're getting a free one and a T-Hub from Telstra for upgrading our plan to something better that's cheaper... They confuse me sometimes.

What Telstra plan are you going to, some of there routers actually aren't that bad.

I have a Netgear CG3000 and it works great on Telstra.

If you don't need the built in modem get the Netgear WNR3700, it's a quality bit of kit with great reviews, you can pick one up for around $150 locally.

PS: T-Hub is garbage.

Casio

What Telstra plan are you going to, some of there routers actually aren't that bad.

I have a Netgear CG3000 and it works great on Telstra.

If you don't need the built in modem get the Netgear WNR3700, it's a quality bit of kit with great reviews, you can pick one up for around $150 locally.

PS: T-Hub is garbage.

Hey it's free ;) doesn't matter. Besides we dont have a HD set top box in the living room, so we will hopefully get something out of it in the end.

I'm not sure. We're doing a bundle and I think it's home phone + ADSL 2+ for $109 a month. We have a 2wire modem at the moment. We had a major issue, but that was their fault for not updating it's firmware, other than that, it's fine.

Yes - there's this thing called "channel overlap"

If you've got a laptop with a wireless card, you can install this:

inSSIDer 2

Run it, read some help files if you need to (not that difficult, but you never know) - this will show your wireless connection, as well as others around you - guess what, if everyone is on the same channel, or channels (i.e. overlap), you need to change the channel your wireless router is on.

Use inSSIDer 2's graphed results to show you what those are. If you don't have a laptop with a wireless card, then just pick a random channel at least 3 channels away from what you're currently on, and see if that helps. If not, try again till you find the best connection rate.

Last edited:
I restarted it like 3 times already but nothing really works. I love the airport extreme it'd the best router I have ever had and fairly expensive which is why I really don't wanna buy another one. Hopefully online there is some boost signal thing or software to make it better

shmogt
I restarted it like 3 times already but nothing really works. I love the airport extreme it'd the best router I have ever had and fairly expensive which is why I really don't wanna buy another one. Hopefully online there is some boost signal thing or software to make it better

Go to your router settings, you can do this by entering a code in your address bar and you can edit settings there, like signal strength etc, I know all routers have this for DMZ and port editing, find yours, (google) and try there.

If all else fails, just get a new one. There's some good decent priced routers out there!

Also log in to the router via the web browser and change the Wifi channel it works off.

Normally channel 6 is default(from what i have seen) but with everyone using wifi these days channel 6 is overused so it is best to change to something like 12.

I shall try looking for a change of channel and signal strength, but since this is a apple product they don't give you tons of customization to it. Also this is the only router I have ever seen that has a program that deals with everything rather than typing in numbers into a browser to get access to it. I actually like it a lot more.

thechosenwonton
If it's a Mac, then get istumbler - change your airport to the clearest channel available - that should help.

Lol I did get istumbler before andy main comp which is like 30ft from the router gets 42% which is insanely low. I changed the channel to one with no one on it (surprised there was like 12 other wifi in the area) and it did nothing to change the strength, but when I went to my ps3 it than had 30% signal which was enough to get onto the Internet. Although it was so slow than I started to watch a 3hr movie at 4pm and it didn't end till 11:30pm due to all the wait of loading times.

Ok I this change the channel thing helped quite a bit. Today I have 40% in my basement. I think it depends how many people around you have there routers on

Back