Interrupt slipstream?

• Thread starter xMAXIx79
  • 21 comments

Interrupt slipstream? "Slipstreamcutter?"

• Total voters
Germany
NRW - GT
Hello, everyone,

A question and anger about a behavior that I consider not only unsportsmanlike, but also quite stupid burns in me all the time. Now that it's getting extremely annoying on the Nordschleife, I'd like to hear your opinion about it.

I'm talking about what I call "slipstream cutters", i.e. drivers who temporarily drive on the straight hitting line to shake off one or more players driving behind them, or to weaken the slipstream so that they cannot be overtaken.

Not only does it slow speed for BOTH drivers relative to the field behind, it is actually dangerous in terms of vehicle control on the track/braking zone/corner. Very often I also experience that drivers who behave in this way tend to push drivers who are overtaking and send them out of bounds.
Of course, most players want to win in online races or get the best possible placement, but does it have to be this way?

I'm really curious how you see it.

If its not in a braking zone our likely to cause an incident it's ok i guess but nord's is very narrow i could see it getting annoying.
Oval tracks can be worse when you can't brake the draft so nobody wants to lead into the last lap and everyone pulls over lol

Do you mean weaving on a straight to break the draft? If it's allowed in real world motorsport then I consider that fine and so should everyone else. Following the rules is by definition, sportsmanlike.

Weaving in the braking zone is not allowed in real world motorsport and that is not fine and not sportsmanlike. Dutch Verstappen fans seem to be the worse for that. I wonder why...? ;)

Do you mean weaving on a straight to break the draft? If it's allowed in real world motorsport then I consider that fine and so should everyone else. Following the rules is by definition, sportsmanlike.

Weaving in the braking zone is not allowed in real world motorsport and that is not fine and not sportsmanlike. Dutch Verstappen fans seem to be the worse for that. I wonder why...? ;)
I am referring to rules that I am aware of and which, in my opinion, are generally valid, e.g. Prohibit excessive weaving, whether to break the slipstream or to prevent overtaking.

Of course, it can / may / should always be allowed to change your line at least once, but only to the extent that you do not endanger following vehicles. The rules I follow, or follow, are aimed at respecting each other and not risking or ruining the race of others for no reason.

In my opinion, however, what I can accept at any time and also recommend is to push other drivers off the track in case of doubt IF the behavior of these drivers is characterized by such unsportsmanlike behavior or even aggressive vehicle contacts.

Driving in a snaky line, or using other drivers to assist you in braking is not racecraft in my opinion, it's just stupid and childish... no, it's even pathetic! (at least in my opinion)

I think gentle weaving on standard race track straights (eg Red Bull Ring) is fine and generally part of racing so long as they clearly make a decision before coming into the breaking zone; mostly racing line or defending the inside.

Nord is difficult though because it's constant movement from one corner to the next but is also often high speed so weaving wouldn't be appropriate until the final straight.

That said; the other examples of bad sportsmanship you've listed are clearly just that - pushing people off, ramming in corners etc... are clearly against the rules and are examples of behaviour that should be punished. It's a shame the penalties were turned off, maybe they'll come back one day.

I'm not sure why you turned your answer a biased way.

I do what racing rules are saying and I expect people that runs in my lobbies to do the same, I'll give a warning if people do it and kick them if they do it again, same rules I apply when I see people not respecting racing rules. Which means, you can break the sleepstream once and go back to your racing line and that's it. You cannot wave as its bad for close racing, that being said even the FIA and PD didnt bother issue warning on gt tour to people doing that, so yeah. Basically, I follow the host rules and if I dont like them, I gtfo.

They're clowns yeah.
It always makes me laugh as it scrubs off their straight line speed too, wrecks their tires, and they look like fools doing zigzags all the way down the Döttinger Höhe.

I couldn't Care less if someone is in my slipstream, I stay straight and move over so they can pass, then I use their's when they pass....if they start weaving i just hold my line instead of following them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you turned your answer a biased way.

Can’t answer his poll because of this.
Some people make polls and want to see certain results. That’s not how polls work.

My answer: I play by the rules and bend them in any way to win.
If Schumacher, Ronaldo or Jordan were the greatest in sportmanship we would have never heard from them.

Poor race craft to weave on the straights back and forth to mess up the draft. You get ONE move, do it and hold it. If the guy behind hasn't caught you by the next turn, you can return to the normal racing line. But, weaving back and forth and back and forth is lame. It's also illegal to do, at least in F1. The stewards will often give a warning before issuing a penalty, but they will give you a penalty if you keep doing it to break the draft to the car behind.

If you move in the braking zone then you're a douche and deserve to get hit, which you will because it's dangerous move for that very reason and not legal in any racing series I am aware of.

Race within the rules, and push the boundaries to find any advantage. If that means a certain amount of weaving is permitted then you should do so if necessary. You are trying to win after all.

There's a difference between defending and blocking. I think its fine to defend but only to an extent. ....like the one move rule that some mentioned.

Players who zig-zag, block, etc. are creating an unpredictable situation that can easily lead to a crash. That's unsportsmanlike conduct and doesn't make for good, exciting racing in either case.

I agree with others that this poll is unnecessarily skewed. When it comes to sportsmanship, the best rule of thumb IMO is using real world rules as a guideline. Unfortunately, the game is not smart enough to hold players accountable for even some of the most egregious offenses so blocking / defending is something that just has to be refereed by human hosts. ....or simply accepted as one of those things people have to put up with which is a big reason why I don't play GT7 online.

which is a big reason why I don't play GT7 online.
It's a big reason to play online in a league. With 15 witnesses recording footage it's very easy to police and repeat offenders are kicked out permanently. You never get Verstappen-esque driving in leagues.

I didn't vote BTW because none of the answers match my racing etiquette.

Last edited:
The weaving to break a tow is a bit of a grey area, personally I wouldn't do it (or excessively at least) because it seems a bit unsporting but the rules are different in real racing, in F1 it's illegal but not enforced most of the time.

Hamilton got a warning for unsportsmanlike behaviour for this one:

And Ericsson was fine with this one which is pretty common at Indy:

Of course the slipstream physics change things on GT7 since you seem to have either nothing or a super pull so the closing speeds are higher.

The vote options are a little emotional so I'll write my answer here.

Doing more than one line change on me is a sure fire way of me losing any interest in chasing them. Too desperate for my liking.

It also throws open the question of do you chase the draft if there's anyone behind you?

I was primarily concerned with seeing whether my opinion might be a bit too narrow. I'm happy to add more answers if needed.

Last edited:
It's racing's version of a professional foul. Like leaning on track limits until you're warned about it.

I just try and remember their name in case I run into them again. My car magically doubles in size when I do.

Hamilton got a warning for unsportsmanlike behaviour for this one:

And Ericsson was fine with this one which is pretty common at Indy:
Last lap on an oval versus the end of the longest straight in F1, they're kind of different situations. The Indy 500 pack was all bunched up because of a prior caution flag and so there weren't any backmarkers in the way. If Ericsson was doing that constantly in the middle of the race the stewards wouldn't approve, but on lap 199 and 200 as long as you don't wreck the other guy a bit of weaving is going to get overlooked.

So I think this is part of what @xMAXIx79 is talking about. This was coming into the front straight to start lap four, and you can see how much the driver in front is swerving to avoid giving any sort of slip.

THat being said, this guy races very clean everywhere else as we has more than a few side-by-sides throughout the race (which I posted in the Daily thread) so I was able to easily forgive this bit of swerving. I'd race with this guy again any day. It also helps that I ended up winning anyway. :D

I am also curious to see if that swerving his helping or hurting the lead car. Are you losing more delta by doing the back-and-forth or just allowing the slip? I have no idea and it would be difficult to quantify.

As with most things in this virtual racing world... I'm happy to let others get in with their funny little habits as long as it doesn't interfere with me concentrating on keeping my cool.

I'll just stick to my plan and you carry on son.

Last edited:
as long as you are no close the lead car weaving is 100 percent legit. I have been running the Scirocco (7:08 at the Ring) this week and I will weave till some is with in pass range, Blocking is stupid but trying to break the draft is not.

I also take purposely bad line on the ring with people behind me so people will follow blinding to their death since the GR4 VW is VERY nimble and grippy.

So I think this is part of what @xMAXIx79 is talking about. This was coming into the front straight to start lap four, and you can see how much the driver in front is swerving to avoid giving any sort of slip.

THat being said, this guy races very clean everywhere else as we has more than a few side-by-sides throughout the race (which I posted in the Daily thread) so I was able to easily forgive this bit of swerving. I'd race with this guy again any day. It also helps that I ended up winning anyway. :D

I am also curious to see if that swerving his helping or hurting the lead car. Are you losing more delta by doing the back-and-forth or just allowing the slip? I have no idea and it would be difficult to quantify.

I’ve had this from one guy all week. He always starts p1 and I’ve often started p2 and every time at the end of lap 1 he weaves back and forth like a lunatic, I don’t get why. I just drive in a straight line as I’m quite happy with my 2nd place.

Back