Invalid Lap

• Thread starter CERBERA_LM
  • 12 comments
CERBERA_LM
Is it doing anyone else's head in when you run wide on the last corner and it invalidates your next lap? Why does it do this? I think it's bloody daft, why invalidate your next lap because of a mistake on the previous one?! The only reason I can think of is if you post a lap in the top ten and the car needs to be on the track for saving the replay? Still a stupid rule if you ask me, seems like another example of PD not testing properly.

Is it doing anyone else's head in when you run wide on the last corner and it invalidates your next lap? Why does it do this? I think it's bloody daft, why invalidate your next lap because of a mistake on the previous one?! The only reason I can think of is if you post a lap in the top ten and the car needs to be on the track for saving the replay?

It invalidates your lap because it is very easy to gain an advantage by getting on the power much earlier in the last corner of the previous lap, get all 4 wheels off the track and onto the grass but keep the throttle on, therefore gaining a considerable mph advantage over the line at the start of the next lap. This kind of advantage has existed for years on tracks like Fuji where running super-wide on the last corner allows you to carry more speed into the next lap.

Still a stupid rule if you ask me, seems like another example of PD not testing properly.

Quite the opposite, actually. It is from their experience of drivers abusing the track boundaries for an advantage in previous Academy outings that has led to this combo invalidating your lap if you get 3 or 4 wheels off the tarmac. It's their way of ensuring no laps are run as a result of mass corner-cutting or run-off abuse.

I am very pleased this has been implemented, you may have seen how much grief was caused in the US Academy thanks to cheating. If your best lap was beaten by someone who blatantly cut the last corner on the previous lap (or on their fast lap) and it was not invalidated, I'm sure you can appreciate that this is one of the most positive things to come out of the US Academy experience.

All the best
Maz

Quite the opposite, actually. It is from their experience of drivers abusing the track boundaries for an advantage in previous Academy outings that has led to this combo invalidating your lap if you get 3 or 4 wheels off the tarmac. It's their way of ensuring no laps are run as a result of mass corner-cutting or run-off abuse.

I am very pleased this has been implemented, you may have seen how much grief was caused in the US Academy thanks to cheating. If your best lap was beaten by someone who blatantly cut the last corner on the previous lap (or on their fast lap) and it was not invalidated, I'm sure you can appreciate that this is one of the most positive things to come out of the US Academy experience.

All the best
Maz

I take it back mate!

I agree with the OP. Of course this all issue results from lack of testing. PD should make it in a way that invalidating the next lap wasn't needed. They only needed to add a sand trap there and I'm sure that kind of "mistake" wouldn't happen as often :D

I agree with the OP. Of course this all issue results from lack of testing. PD should make it in a way that invalidating the next lap wasn't needed. They only needed to add a sand trap there and I'm sure that kind of "mistake" wouldn't happen as often :D

It would be great to be able to put sandtraps etc. where ever you want with the editor.. as of now I guess that is just not possible :(

I_esAQeoSf29-_XYY1w0fk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM

Hi Im finding the consistancy of the rules for how much of the road you can/can Not use strange.

Ive watched a few of the fastest laps and most are running wide and even have 4 wheels off track, but their times are not invalidated.
Im sure some people will argue as GT5 is "The Real Driving Simulator" would this be allowed in reality if you were at the Race camp?

Good luck to everyone who takes

part.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I_esAQeoSf29-_XYY1w0fk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FDsvh8L9a44bxqfVOQvnKk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink

Last edited:
I_esAQeoSf29-_XYY1w0fk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM

Hi Im finding the consistancy of the rules for how much of the road you can/can Not use strange.

Ive watched a few of the fastest laps and most are running wide and even have 4 wheels off track, but their times are not invalidated.
Im sure some people will argue as GT5 is "The Real Driving Simulator" would this be allowed in reality if you were at the Race camp?

Good luck to everyone who takes

part.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I_esAQeoSf29-_XYY1w0fk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FDsvh8L9a44bxqfVOQvnKk6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink

Yes, we are all taking advantage of the one wheel on the track rule. This rule wouldn't come into it in proper racing because if you had three wheels on the grass in real life you'd be having a crash

Ive watched a few of the fastest laps and most are running wide and even [B]have 4 wheels off track[/B], but their times are not invalidated.[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't believe you, show me a picture?

If you watch F1 and BTCC, drivers are consistently cutting corners, sometimes to an extreme degree. Ultimately if it's allowed and it gives you an advantage, do it.

As it stands, it's a very risky business, as I'm sure anyone who's ever run wide after turn 2 (which is everybody) can tell you.

CERBERA_LM
Yes, we are all taking advantage of the one wheel on the track rule. This rule wouldn't come into it in proper racing because if you had three wheels on the grass in real life you'd be having a crash

My Point exactly. It wouldnt happen in real life, which is a shame that "The Real Driving Simulator" allows you to run wide for a quite a distance on certain sections (the right hander onto the back straight, cant rember the turn number.)
I agree with you that its an advantage running wide, just an unfair one if you like to drive more realistically which is how I like to drive. (not a fan of Need 4 speed and those types of games)

Mopatop
Really? I don't believe you, show me a picture?

If you watch F1 and BTCC, drivers are consistently cutting corners, sometimes to an extreme degree. Ultimately if it's allowed and it gives you an advantage, do it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xQSeIwalr6DGRMCBp4y10k6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N4uOvSHdnJpmiuTgy4VUEU6EFPKoNvUCg9Yj9_HDxyM?feat=directlink

Sure of course they cut corners and use all the kerb and more, but Ive never seen them gain time by running down the straight completly on the grass.

[Looking at the 2nd link, If an F1 car ran wide on the outside of a corner and used the preceding grass down the straight to gain a better quali' time, nine times out of 10 it would be disallowed.
......Or rather they should recieve a bravery award for defying the laws of physics!

I agree with you both if PD/Sony/Nissan allow it...do it.

Both those cars have a fraction of a front tyre on the tarmac but I see your point, although I think going onto the grass nearly as dangerous as it should be - it rarely ends well for me - but I know that if you walk on eggshells you can come off it smoothly.

Personally I think the rules should be tightened so it's two wheels *within* the white line.

Good luck to everyone who takes part.

Eifel%20%28Circuit%29_3.jpg
Today I have watch a pair of laps with still the car more out of the track than this!!.

Really this is nothing real.

Back