iRacing and I left GT6 in the dusts

• Thread starter azrilnazli
  • 26 comments
Malaysia
Malaysia
bazet_mpower
On my 2nd week with iRacing and it was a blast. Actually the whole concept still alien to me like

when I see the stat graph, my irating went down and suddenly up

I only concentrate on Miata, and never touch the setup yet, just race with standard settings. The hardest track to me is Laguna Seca. Because I got disqualified on last lap due to exceeding incidents ( 22/22 ). The corner before the cockscrew eats up my incidents and the last lap.

The favorite track so far, Lime Rock :D

Now I have to find uninterrupted time to play iRacing.....being a husband...and a family...you know....the miata race alone will costs me 40 minutes......uninterrupted

I used to play gt6 like 8 hours a day, hosted some leagues, but i felt like gt6 was lacking , so i built a pc and got iracing a few months ago. Since then i have sold my pc to a good friend and built a better pc. Iracing is everything i always dreamed of compared to gt6. Iracing is WAY more realistic in every way imaginable than gt6 could ever think about being. " The real driving simulator " yeah right, thats the best joke I've heard in a long time. I am truly sorry and will always regret wasting so much of my time and effort on gran turismo. I will only devote my time and effort to iracing as far as racing games go, and will never look back.

I used to play gt6 like 8 hours a day, hosted some leagues, but i felt like gt6 was lacking , so i built a pc and got iracing a few months ago. Since then i have sold my pc to a good friend and built a better pc. Iracing is everything i always dreamed of compared to gt6. Iracing is WAY more realistic in every way imaginable than gt6 could ever think about being. " The real driving simulator " yeah right, thats the best joke I've heard in a long time. I am truly sorry and will always regret wasting so much of my time and effort on gran turismo. I will only devote my time and effort to iracing as far as racing games go, and will never look back.

I'm very similar. I tried out PC racing games during the long wait for GT5 and I wish I'd tried them sooner. iRacing as a 'racing game' is literally on another planet compared to Gran Turismo. So, despite waiting so long for GT5 I've played it and GT6 very little - more for old times sake rather than for fun. I have no intention of buying a PS4 or GT7.

Same story here guys, I packed up GT after 11 seasons of hosting events since GT5 and then GT6. Downloaded iRacing to try it as I had built a pc for recording GT6 races. Loved it. Then when I worked out fully how to play it, loved it more.

Then found all my ex GT mates were on iRacing and now our Tuesday night races have been reborn. We started a league with 35 members so far, we have our second race this week but been getting about 15 people turning up for practice.

Wish I did this years ago, having great fun and meeting fome great people online.

I have been playing it for 6 months now. Loved the MX5 and the Spec Ford Racer for getting my classes up (currently B Class) and the Caddy for some awesome V8 sound! Now I have spent money on tracks (alot of tracks lol) and a few cars (RUF's, SKippy and the Falcon V8SC).
Trying to pick just one car to race is hard, but the skippy is VERY rewarding and worth the money.

Enjoy your time

My favorite cars currently Mazda Roadster. I've yet to join any private hosted league but on official one, I am on Ruf Cup and V8 Supercars.

And those in class C is literally flying. I'm slower around 3-4secs per laps at road atlanta ruf cup.... :D

Must admit to being in the same boat as everyone else...

Started with PS3 and GT5/6 and eventually worked to triple screens and pc racing, I would never go back now. Between iRacing and Assetto Corsa I have everything I need, its just a shame they cant blend the two together!

I love racing the Mazda and I dont feel in a rush to move forward and try something else unlike GT, some of the best racing I have ever experienced has been in the little MX5.

I blown my mazda engine thrice while in top 5. The fierce competition makes you use every inch of available space in that particilar corner.

Blown engine in GT6 ?
Lapping too hot on cold tires ?
V8 handles like a train and you cant muscle that car.

Iracing is super meticulous about tiny details so far.

Myself being a PC only guy (hate consoles, never had one never will) I can only compare with other PC simulations, but for me iRacing is THE Sim Racing Simulator!!!

While I do agree that Iracing is good and my favorite sim at the moment, its the online that makes it my favorite, not the physics. There are still some major flaws in the physics, mainly being the tires, but it is still very much a great sim. If other games had Iracings online though I don't feel that I would be playing it as much. Which in my opinion is why PC racing is still relatively small. The online on most PC sims is all but a ghost town. I think a lot of it has to do with modding as well. To me it divides the community to much. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of the mods, but it almost impossible to find pick up racing on the PC. The only current PC sim (iracing) that has a active online is the only current game that doesn't support modding. So unless your going to join a league you pretty much only have one choice for online racing. AC does appear to have a decent online so far, but we will have to see how long that lasts.

While I do agree that Iracing is good and my favorite sim at the moment, its the online that makes it my favorite, not the physics. There are still some major flaws in the physics, mainly being the tires, but it is still very much a great sim. If other games had Iracings online though I don't feel that I would be playing it as much. Which in my opinion is why PC racing is still relatively small. The online on most PC sims is all but a ghost town. I think a lot of it has to do with modding as well. To me it divides the community to much. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of the mods, but it almost impossible to find pick up racing on the PC. The only current PC sim (iracing) that has a active online is the only current game that doesn't support modding. So unless your going to join a league you pretty much only have one choice for online racing. AC does appear to have a decent online so far, but we will have to see how long that lasts.

If you are looking for regular online racing for both iRacing and AC then why not drop by our thread. I used to run the ORDL on GT but since moving to pc miss getting a bunch together on a regular basis. Our new events kick off in the new year.

If you are looking for regular online racing for both iRacing and AC then why not drop by our thread. I used to run the ORDL on GT but since moving to pc miss getting a bunch together on a regular basis. Our new events kick off in the new year.
Thank you for the invite, but my work doesn't really allow me to join leagues or clubs. I never know when Ill be gone for anywhere from a week to a couple months. I usually only get about 2 days notice before I have to leave. I just got back from 2 weeks in FL. and only got 10 hour notice before I had to go. The upside to my job though is most all my days in a year belong to me. I average about 120 days of work a year. :cheers: Cant really beat the trade off.

My favorite cars currently Mazda Roadster. I've yet to join any private hosted league but on official one, I am on Ruf Cup and V8 Supercars.

And those in class C is literally flying. I'm slower around 3-4secs per laps at road atlanta ruf cup.... :D

That's what I love about iRacing, it's frustrating at first but it's amazing the amount of talent people have on it.. In all honesty it's the hardest racing "game" (please don't tar and feather me) I've ever played, it takes so long to get good at it and proper "seat time" is important, just like real racing..

That's what I love about iRacing, it's frustrating at first but it's amazing the amount of talent people have on it.. In all honesty it's the hardest racing "game" (please don't tar and feather me) I've ever played, it takes so long to get good at it and proper "seat time" is important, just like real racing..

... fully agree!!!

Thank you for the invite, but my work doesn't really allow me to join leagues or clubs. I never know when Ill be gone for anywhere from a week to a couple months. I usually only get about 2 days notice before I have to leave. I just got back from 2 weeks in FL. and only got 10 hour notice before I had to go. The upside to my job though is most all my days in a year belong to me. I average about 120 days of work a year. :cheers: Cant really beat the trade off.

Tell me about it, I work 4 on / 4 off and get 33 days leave a year so I am lucky in the respect that I get lots of me time (I think it works out I actually work just 133 days of the year). The only draw back is the rotating shifts so I am never off the same days each week so running the league I have to accommodate this when arranging races.

Also agree with the others, at first iRacing is a nightmare but in an enjoyable way. I will never forget the disbelief in seeing just how bad I got beat in my first few races but was still enjoyable.

The respect, even from relatively new members is also great, unlike GT when everyone just barges you out the way. Dont get me wrong, there are still some that need to learn a thing or two but I give them the benefit of the doubt as its just down to experience.

Is there an offline mode if you want to pick up and play, or is it online racing only and you have to spend an hour for it each time?

I love racing sims but i just want that comfort of not having to dedicate myself too much if i don't want to, and just do a quick race or jerk around in time trials. In other words do you have to wait until the misses and the kids are asleep if you want to do some iracing? :D

You need to be connected to the internet to do anything on iracing, but yes you can practice with any car/track combo you own by yourself. You can also do time trials by yourself for all the series iracing has, if you own the content.

You need to be connected to the internet to do anything on iracing, but yes you can practice with any car/track combo you own by yourself. You can also do time trials by yourself for all the series iracing has, if you own the content.
Do those TT's have leaderboards, and can you do custom races against AI?

For AI the best will be F1 or AC at the moment. It would be nice if iRacing had AI for test runs to get used to it.
Never tried F1 as its not my type of racing, but I think Game Stock Car has the best AI currently. While its not the prettiest game out their, it does everything very well.

My best personal ruf around interlagos is 1' 28". And still there are guys registering constant 1' 24" on last nite practise

For AI the best will be F1 or AC at the moment. It would be nice if iRacing had AI for test runs to get used to it.
No AI please! It lessens the experience. "Live" AI is sooo much better. The thing about moving to iRacing for me is, there are consequences(incidents) for everyone's actions. iRacing for the most part is: SIM racecraft improved

The good in iRacing is what makes it so difficult to even try. I've joined leagues back when Grand Prix Legends was new. Trying to meet up at the same time each week was not easy, but I did it back then. Usually I'd miss at least 1 of 8 races in a series that we ran. That's what is so nice about other games that offer close enough in realism with the ability to race on your own schedule.

But for those that have the time or are willing to make the time iRacing is closest to real racing as a sim is today.

Last edited:
Back