iRacing Lite

United States
Mesa, AZ
SPORKFACE69
Well since the other threads keep getting deleted, lets talk about it here!

From the hidden subforum:
Capture_zpsa9dddf8a.jpg

Spetember was around the time they got greenlighted on steam am I right? And then the goodbye post from Sean said they have a few surprises up their sleeve.

Let the wild speculation begin!

so is steam iracing going to be separate from the original version?
I wouldn't think so. My guess is that you'll be able to join full-fledged iRacing both from Steam and regular means if you wish, but iRacing Lite will only be available through Steam. Maybe the Steam platform provides additional architecture that will allow them to provide free trials more easily. At this point it's all speculation.

I was also thinking that iRacing would dedicate a server base only for the people using the free trial or have the trial be testing only. I think that paid members wouldn't be so happy if the average steam player bought it and drive with the mouse. :D

Yeah they have said that Steam would just be a vehicle to basically promote iRacing. You click on it on steam and it would take you to the normal member site. Looks like we won't get anything this build, but they could be planning on an Indy 500 rollout. Or maybe not, it's pure speculation at this point. I really hope they do, because even if we only get 1000 or so of the new members that joined to stay and become good, clean racers, it's worth it. I know a bunch of people that while they are interested in iRacing, the pricing throws them off. If they could just join and see what it's like, I'm sure they would change their minds.

... the pricing throws them off. If they could just join and see what it's like, I'm sure they would change their minds.
For $6 you can get a 1 month subscription. Hard to believe many people would consider that too expensive to give it a try.

You've obviously never read the comments on the iRacing Steam page.
Have not, no.

Considering i paid ~£40 for the joke that is GT6 (and you can bet they will want more money for DLC before long) and stopped playing it after 2 months, i honestly don't think iRacing's pricing model looks too bad in comparison. You can recoup $40 a year playing it. They have a very good rate of development, not like PD who take forever to fix the most basic things that shouldn't have been wrong in the first place and it's just a far superior experience in general. Ultimately you get what you pay for so obviously it's going to cost more. For those who treat sim racing as a serious/main hobby it's money well spent. The problem comes when people look at it as just another game, which it isn't.

Have not, no.

Considering i paid ~£40 for the joke that is GT6 (and you can bet they will want more money for DLC before long) and stopped playing it after 2 months, i honestly don't think iRacing's pricing model looks too bad in comparison. You can recoup $40 a year playing it. They have a very good rate of development, not like PD who take forever to fix the most basic things that shouldn't have been wrong in the first place and it's just a far superior experience in general. Ultimately you get what you pay for so obviously it's going to cost more. For those who treat sim racing as a serious/main hobby it's money well spent. The problem comes when people look at it as just another game, which it isn't.

I don't even want to know what I spent on this game in the first year and a half .... but over time I've spent less and less on the game and enjoyed it more.... right now I'm paid up for awhile and only buy occasional content

I would strongly suggest to anyone getting started in this to not only be very selective on purchases but better yet don't buy anything until you've done a lot of research, not only on the car but the series and tracks that it runs on ... make sure a series is going to provide you regular races with a minimum of additional track purchases or your going to be sitting a lot of weeks out .... so don't buy based solely on wanting to try a new car.

People coming from FM5 and GT (where they are spoiled for car choice) might have a hard time resisting buying new content, just to try it. But honestly the racing isn't much different from series to series.... there is a slight difference in the communities, better drivers, sometimes more polite people... but all in all the racing is very similar across the board and its usually all spectacular .... iRacing doesn't offer a massive car selection but you can't race all the cars anyway at a high level unless you have unlimited time... most of the top drivers usually only race 1 car... they're favorite, a car they auto-cross or race in real life, or something they are driving in a pro series or league.

Since I got into iRacing I bought less other games. With the Black Friday deal, participation credits and bonus credit deals together, I find myself spending just a little bit more than usually on games. But I only started fairly recently, so that includes purchasing content, so within a couple of months, the balance will change direction again.

People that say iRacing is expensive maybe right in some respects but i dont think it is i worked out that with all the promotions and offers i took the monthly sub works out at something ridiculous like £4 a month ok the cars and tracks are a little expensive but once you have them thats it and your not going to buy every car and track far from it. You can get a lot out of this sim with fairly little expenditure especially if you plan your seasons well.

Oh and the racing is second to none

This is exactly why I've never gotten into iRacing.

This is very true. But there's always a but.....

It is expensive yes. But so is a Lexus compared to a Toyota. You're certainly getting a premium service with iRacing so it costs a little more. Other thing is once you buy a car or track you've got it for good. I'm more of a Xbox guy so I compare it to the cost of Forza. By the time you pay for a year of XBL, buy the game and buy all the DLC cars you've sank a couple hundred bucks into it. Then you've got to turn around and do it again in 2 years if you want to stay current.

I'm just getting into it having finally threw my hands in the air and given up on console racing. Don't even have wheel yet and just using a controller and loving it. My biggest complaint with the service is it doesn't have some of the time trial options I'd like to have.

Latest Posts

Back