iRacing questions - thinking of trying it

• Thread starter GT5LCD
  • 14 comments
Canada
Dundas, Ontario
EnterLCD
I am thinking of trying iRacing.
Currently running F1 2012 on a good PC.
I assume the graphics are just as good as GT5 and F1 2012?
The reason I am thinking of switching is the lack of on-line drivers with the PC platform for F1 2012.

There are only 3 or 4 F1 circuits in iRacing but that's okay as I will probably try some other racing formats.

What I am really concerned about: Are there enough drivers on-line at any given time so I don't have to race continually with one or two other people or not spend crazy amounts of time in the lobby waiting to assemble a race. The most exciting part of internet racing is racing with a good compliment of cars on the starting grid. I don't mean racing with a full grid always, but at least 6-8 cars changes all the dynamics.

THX

You do not hang around in lobby waiting to race like in GT5, you sign up for a race on the member site of iRacing and when the race is about to start (a given time on the clock) you join the lobby. 5 minutes of warmup and you grid your car. I raced with 10 people on the track during my rookie time on iRacing. After that I haven't really raced with less than 20 people on track. Some races fail to go official of course (lack of people showing up) But you will always find a race series that have plenty of drivers.

Graphics in iRacing isn't as glowing as in GT5 and the resolution on the cars is not close to GT5, but it's made that way so you could race against 40 others without having a monster computer. And it's more than good enough to drive on.
Because you have anti aliasing on computer games, witch is there to smooth out the edges of the pixels. Not in GT5 (witch is why so many people complain about pixelated dust and rain)

But the physics of the game is what makes this not a game.. In the end it's a game, but many people see it as their virtual racing career. Because the feel is so much more pure simulation than any console game you ever tried.

The reason I am thinking of switching is the lack of on-line drivers with the PC platform for F1 2012.

There are only 3 or 4 F1 circuits in iRacing but that's okay as I will probably try some other racing formats.

What I am really concerned about: Are there enough drivers on-line at any given time so I don't have to race continually with one or two other people or not spend crazy amounts of time in the lobby waiting to assemble a race. The most exciting part of internet racing is racing with a good compliment of cars on the starting grid. I don't mean racing with a full grid always, but at least 6-8 cars changes all the dynamics.

THX

Are you looking to race the F1 car in iRacing?

Like the first response said there are no iracing lobbies. For instance the series I race is the skip barber series, it is probably the most popular one on the game. I have never signed up for a race and it not had enough people to where the race stats and scoring didn't count. There is a race held for it every 2 hours. You sign up for the race and then wait for it to start.

There are some cars though that don't get as good of turnouts as the skip barber, but I haven't even tried another series since I started racing the one I'm in. The rookie series is where you will start and it runs races every hour.

As far as the graphics I think it looks alot better then GT5. Once I got into PC games it's really hard for me to go back to any console games, just because of the lack of true at least 1080p. They all look really fuzzy to me and it takes me awhile to get use to it again. I also like the simplistic look iracing has. Colors look real, and everything is pretty detailed but not made to look like a hollywood style setting. I would honestly say, for me, iracing is the best looking racing game out there. I know some people love the look of Pcars but the last time I tried it, it still wasn't working right on triple screens so I didn't mess with it anymore and don't think I have really seen graphically what it has to offer.

If you are wanting to actually race on line against other people and not have to mess around with leagues, then nothing is close to iracing. It does take awhile to get use to though coming from GT5. Iracing is unforgiving. If you scrub the wall or clip a car, more then likely you are going into the pits for repairs, or your race is just over and you have to wait another hour or more to race again. To me though that's the beauty of iracing. there are consequences to your on track actions. You just can't hit quick match and join another race if you make a mistake.

Really the game is just a few bucks to try for a month. I have no idea why people hesitate at all when it comes to trying iracing.

@Hydro ... Yes, absolutely!
@bevo ... Thanks for your detailed reply! Well, perhaps I should give this a try! I played GT5 last year on PS3. Not enough F1 events in GT5 so I tried F1 2011. The graphics were terrible and I put it away. Heard that the graphics were better in F1 2012 so I bought it. The graphics are indeed better. Terrible lag in the PS3 console when running F1 2012 at max graphics so I installed STEAM and bought the PC version. Runs like a dream at ultra high graphics settings. But now, very few drivers in the lobbies for the PC version and I can not commit to a specific time in leagues.

Thus looking for an alternate. So here I am. Currently using the DFGT wheel in combination with the PlaySeat and I run a 42" flatscreen off my graphics card. It's hard to get the real impression of the iRacing graphics quality on YouTube. The only way I guess is to try it out.
Any suggestions to get me fast tracked (through the learning curve) on the Spa circuit after I purchase? THX again for all the replies!

Yes absolutely. Naturally the best times to be racing are in the evenings either European or US time.

There are some series that struggle with official participation (e.g. Radicals). But the series that you're probably interested in have the best participation on the service, this is the route I recommend:
-MX5 Cup (no choice as its the main series you have to start from with Road).
-Spec Racer Ford or Skip Barber F2000.
-Star Mazda
-Lotus 79
-Williams FW31

When you get to the Lotus 79, the participation is lower and more concentrated around certain days and certain times. Some series only run official races on specific days but all series run at weekends, and weekends are the best time to be getting the higher splits and bigger grids.

I race Star Mazda every week on different days and I always end up in at least 10+ sized grids be it morning, afternoon or evening every day of the week.
The Lotus 79 I've found I've had to wait until the evening to get the best chance of fuller grids. But every day its available (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) there are people racing.

Coming from the F1 games, you'll probably want to get to the Star Mazda as soon as you can as its an easy car to drive (harder to find the time though!). It races some F1 tracks like Spa and Suzuka but also great ex-F1 tracks like Brands Hatch, Zolder and Zandvoort.

Any suggestions to get me fast tracked (through the learning curve) on the Spa circuit after I purchase? THX again for all the replies!

It will be awhile before you get a chance to race on Spa. You can buy it and practice there but it could be months before you have the chance to race there. There races are setup as seasons and the seasons last i think 3 months. Each track will run for a week and then switch. You can race as many times as you want on each track but you will only get points from one race that week. I can't remember how they dtermine which race the points come from, or if it's an average of your best 2 out of 5 or something.

Also don't get frustrated with the rookie series. Don't even push to hard to win races, just keep from crashing and stay on the track so that you will increase you safety rating over 4.00 and then you will move to D class where the road racing gets much better. the way I think rookie class works is that it weeds out the people who are not patient enought to learn to drive safe and not ruin other drivers days.

It really is a great service but it's not for everyone. Don't give up until you get out of rookie and get a taste of what iRacing really is.

The resolution in iRacing is so much better then GT5, the fake lighting in GT5 fool people into thinking it has better graphics. If you ever seen what the PS3 has for a graphics card you would laugh.

As others have mentioned for iRacing you want to join a series such as Grand AM, of course you have to get out of rookie first, you enter either road or oval racing. A series of graduated licenses move you up. iRacing is the best online racing imo.

Any suggestions to get me fast tracked (through the learning curve) on the Spa circuit after I purchase?

Really on iRacing you don't want to fast track.
You need time to progress and learn the dynamics of the scanned cars, unlike GT5 and F1 2012 where you can just jump in any old car and drive fast.

Although the FW31 is a little outdated on iRacing and really needs an upgrade to get it up to spec and up to date with all the new iRacing technology, it is still a real handful in my opinion. As a fan of F1 2012 myself, it was a shock when I first tried iRacing and realised just how much of a difference there is between the car dynamics.

And since you actually have something to lose on iRacing (Safety Rating and iRating) it is probably best not to rush things and take it slow to start.

Everyone on here and on iRacing can give you tips but really it is down to you and your driving style, so this brings me back to my point, take it slow and learn each car as you progress up the license classes, then when you reach the FW31 it will seem a little easier.

License Classes are:
Rookie - Start here.
Class D
Class C
Class B
Class A - FW31 is here.

But if all you plan to do is open wheel then I suggest you take the root Ardius said...

-MX5 Cup (no choice as its the main series you have to start from with Road).
-Spec Racer Ford or Skip Barber F2000.
-Star Mazda
-Lotus 79
-Williams FW31

Really on iRacing you don't want to fast track.
You need time to progress and learn the dynamics of the scanned cars, unlike GT5 and F1 2012 where you can just jump in any old car and drive fast.

Although the FW31 is a little outdated on iRacing and really needs an upgrade to get it up to spec and up to date with all the new iRacing technology, it is still a real handful in my opinion. As a fan of F1 2012 myself, it was a shock when I first tried iRacing and realised just how much of a difference there is between the car dynamics.

And since you actually have something to lose on iRacing (Safety Rating and iRating) it is probably best not to rush things and take it slow to start.

Everyone on here and on iRacing can give you tips but really it is down to you and your driving style, so this brings me back to my point, take it slow and learn each car as you progress up the license classes, then when you reach the FW31 it will seem a little easier.

License Classes are:
Rookie - Start here.
Class D
Class C
Class B
Class A - FW31 is here.

But if all you plan to do is open wheel then I suggest you take the root Ardius said...
Okay, thanks for all the advice. "Roger" the caution on the "fast track" aspect. I think I have time tonight to sign up. I will keep my fingers crossed for a smooth process setting my hardware up with the program.

You may surprise yourself and find that you can set competitive laptimes even though you aren't pushing hard - thats when not to push ;).

For me when I first started, I found I could run pretty well and all of my wheel-to-wheel racecraft carried over. It took some time practicing and learning tracks of course but I was surprised that I could run and win races pretty much straight away (against other rookies mind!).
I got a bit over eager after that and pushed far too hard and didn't really enjoy myself. I didn't give myself enough time to practice and I was entering too many races.

I can only echo the suggestion to take it easy and practice. Don't expect too much of yourself and just focus on finishing races rather than necessarily trying to win every race. You also can't go in with the same mindset for normal video games where you boot the game, jump in a race and have 20 minutes or so of fun. You've really got warm-up properly and plan ahead.

I think the important thing is just to enjoy the driving experience - its a thrill far beyond games like F1 2012 to be pushing to the limit with such great force feedback. Nailing a lap, pulling off a great overtake or catching a slide feel awesome, especially when you get to tougher cars like the Spec Racer Ford or the Lotus 79.

Oh and be prepared to be taken out on lap 1 by loonies still, especially at Rookie level. But I wouldn't recommend starting from the pitlane like others suggest because you want to build up experience launching from the grid. (plus I love the tension just before the race start :D)
I'd even go as far as to say to be prepared to not defend your position too hard early on, simply because there are too many people driving crazy in the Mazda Cup. Better to let people past and spin on their own accord than get tangled up in their accidents.

THX

iRacing is the best choice for clean and regular online pickup racing. I discovered iRacing after getting frustrated with all the wreckers on GT5.

The iRacing physics are much improved over GT5 and this makes the former more enjoyable than the latter (ymmv).

I agree with Left888's comment about the iRacing graphics. The lighting model in iRacing is much better than GT5 and gives the game a more realistic appearance.

Try out one of the iRacing deals and you may decide to remain on the darkside. :)

iRacing is the best choice for clean and regular online pickup racing. I discovered iRacing after getting frustrated with all the wreckers on GT5.

The iRacing physics are much improved over GT5 and this makes the former more enjoyable than the latter (ymmv).

I agree with Left888's comment about the iRacing graphics. The lighting model in iRacing is much better than GT5 and gives the game a more realistic appearance.

Try out one of the iRacing deals and you may decide to remain on the darkside. :)

Hi,
Yes, I purchased 3 months last night and gave it a whirl. Everything loaded and installed fine. I was only able to play for about an hour last night.

Graphics: Yes, the graphics are very similar to GT5 but the lighting effects are improved especially on the dash and instruments. Replay options, I must admit are very cool! The physics is definitely in a superior league.
Website platform: A lot to grasp initially, but kudos to the people in charge of the design layout. I was able to navigate fairly effectively on my first go.

At this time I just have a couple of questions that can be quickly answered by you guys in this thread.
1. The force feedback in my Logitech DFGT is working. Can I use the Logitech profiler to tweak the settings?
2. Are there specific tracks that I must use and race on to move up from Rookie?
3. Can I load the service on my Laptop to watch races in progress?
THX!

1.Yes do use it. here is a thread on it: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1500238.page not sure if its up to date with the new changes but its a start.
2.yes The rookie mazda series uses Lime Rock park (non-chicane) and Okayama short. If you go to the series/current seasons page, you can browse the schedules of all the different series.
3.yes as long as its a windows laptop and is good enough to run iracing. I don't think that there is a limit to the number of computers that you can run iracing on.

Back