iracing questions

• Thread starter Zathra5_
  • 11 comments
Goes_To_11 GTP_GoesTo11
I was thinking of getting into iracing with the 50% off sale and I have a few questions.

How long are the rookie races and how often are they scheduled? Specifically, I am looking for road races that start around 9:30pm pst on Saturdays or Sundays.

How do the rookie race series work? Can you use any of the beginner cars or are you locked into one at first? Are there scheduled races that you are expected to make or is it mostly drop in?

Does iRacing model track temperature or are you always racing in the same conditions? Do the tracks change during races i.e. does off the racing line become slipperier as marbles collect offline?

Is a G25 good enough or should you really have a load cell brake? Do you need to do heel toe shifting?

What kind of telemetry support is there for replays? Is there something like the data logger in GT5? In LFS, I could import replays into an separate program and analyze them in much more detail than you can in GT5.

Thanks

I was thinking of getting into iracing with the 50% off sale and I have a few questions.

How long are the rookie races and how often are they scheduled?
Every hour, and they're around half an hour including the warmup session.
Specifically, I am looking for road races that start around 9:30pm pst on Saturdays or Sundays.
They start on the hour

How do the rookie race series work? Can you use any of the beginner cars or are you locked into one at first? Are there scheduled races that you are expected to make or is it mostly drop in?

Two rookie series, one oval, one road. Oval will be in the Legends car next season, currently is using the Street Stock. Alternates weeks between Charlotte Oval and USA Speedway, will be Lanier and South Boston next season. Road is the Mazda MX-5 on Lime Rock Park and Okayama Short Circuit

Does iRacing model track temperature or are you always racing in the same conditions? Do the tracks change during races i.e. does off the racing line become slipperier as marbles collect offline?

For consistent, fair races, no. Night races do have different grip levels and cars are faster.

Is a G25 good enough or should you really have a load cell brake? Do you need to do heel toe shifting?

G25 is all I use, but with a G27 shifter mechanism inside the G25 shifter unit. Heel toe is pretty much required but there are driving aids to make up for it if you can't.

What kind of telemetry support is there for replays? Is there something like the data logger in GT5? In LFS, I could import replays into an separate program and analyze them in much more detail than you can in GT5.

Telemetry can be outputted into McLaren ATLAS natively, or with a converter it can be used with MoTeC.

Thanks

Answers in bold.

an addition, we have the CTS-V for rookie too but you should start with the MX-5 because the rookie setup for the CTS-V is not that great for that much car

the tire model is what it mostly relies on rather than the track but as Eric said, there is a difference in day/night and the line has a little more grip

I use a Stock DFGT so yes a G25 is just fine, and you don't need a loadcell, there is adjustment for that in the options menu. the aids include Auto-clutch, Auto-blip(auto heal-toe) and auto shift, driving line, throttle assistance and brake assistance but the easier the aid the slower it may be to shift, brake, gas etc. I may have forgot one

Thanks guys. So if I want to go through the rookie road series, I could choose to race only Sunday evenings and not have any problems?

By the way there are better promos than the 50% off sale depending on if you want something specific like a car or track, check out the iRacing promo codes thread

Roush_fan_99
By the way there are better promos than the 50% off sale depending on if you want something specific like a car or track, check out the iRacing promo codes thread

Thanks but the best ones appear to be for 3 months. So if I got one of those, I'd be stuck paying full price when the 3 months expires, right?

Get the 3 months and when a promo pops up take it like the 50% off for a year on black friday or something in between, or do the 12 month version if that's what you're looking at. But ultimately it's up to you, I was just trying to open up your possibilities

I wouldn't sign up for a year of iRacing without having a smaller subscription to know what its all about.

I wouldn't sign up for a year of iRacing without having a smaller subscription to know what its all about.

Very good advice, because if you want to race daily your VERY limited on what you can race. Thats for the road side Im not sure about oval dont race that much. For road though you got rookie mazda on 2 tracks, the caddy runs 4 tracks and most races go offical for the mustang. Other than that you get few offical races a week for road. At least thats my experience since starting in January.

Good advice, I went for the 3 month trial myself. Within 30 minutes I signed up for a year. Now with the deals that always come out I have about 18 months paid in advance.

$50 isn't enough that I was worried about paying for a full year. If worse came to worse, I could hot lap for a year and still get my money's worth. Anyway, I went with the 6 months for free package with mosport, mid-ohio and infineon included. You can't beat that deal. I'll pick up the year membership at the black friday sale.

Latest Posts

Back