IRL Drifting

• Thread starter fofepapa
  • 11 comments
fofepapa
Ok, here´s a clip of me trying drifting for real.
This is my second time on a track.
I can tell you that all the hours i put in plying GT5 with a G27 really payed off.
It´s actually easier to drift in real life, because you get more inputs :)

Im drifting a 1993 Volvo 940 with about 200 horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1ubbEMwNo

It´s actually easier to drift in real life, because you get more inputs :)

Even though I've never attempted drifting in real life but drive a car I highly doubt this statement, what's using the clutch like IRL?

Even though I've never attempted drifting in real life but drive a car I highly doubt this statement, what's using the clutch like IRL?

Ok, maybe im exaggerating a bit.
I guess that if i hadn´t played so much in GT5 i would have had a harder time irl.
Using the clutch is like "wohoooo" :)
And with a welded diff, like mine has, it really kicks the rear out in an instant.

First, nice video :D.

Second, sorry but GT5 wouldn't necessarily make it easier for you to drift in real life. Might help you understand the concept but GT5 teaches you lots of bad habits especially on the wheel.

Second, sorry but GT5 wouldn't necessarily make it easier for you to drift in real life. Might help you understand the concept but GT5 teaches you lots of bad habits especially on the wheel.

Well, i guess we´re talking more about the concept then :)

Not trying to make fun, but what kind of bad habits do you learn on the wheel in GT5? Ive never put a RWD car sideways in RL, but i too would think it would be easier and faster to learn after having drifted in games like GT5. You allready know the balances between power, angle, speed, and also know how transitioning weight behaves... I cant wait to drift in RL..

Congrats to the OP! Have fun and keep practicing!

PS we need to drift again Protege; get a new wheel!

Not trying to make fun, but what kind of bad habits do you learn on the wheel in GT5? Ive never put a RWD car sideways in RL, but i too would think it would be easier and faster to learn after having drifted in games like GT5. You allready know the balances between power, angle, speed, and also know how transitioning weight behaves... I cant wait to drift in RL..

Congrats to the OP! Have fun and keep practicing!

PS we need to drift again Protege; get a new wheel!

Getting one in 2 weeks tops :). You need to add my new account. I'll add you in a few minutes.

GT5's Bad Habits:

Riding the limiter ALL THE TIME :/ (Not everyone does it but a lot of people do)

The ridiculous amount of steering required (Yea it resembles real life but in GT5 its non-stop steering vs real life where you can hold the wheel in one spot for a few seconds, never any 100% smooth drifting in GT5)

anything above 300hp in GT5 doesn't handle like it would in real life when it comes to drifting...

GT5s tire heating system when drifting is beyond unrealistic

Banks are ridiculously hard in GT5 however (this is from others who have drifted)

Springs and dampers don't affect a car like they should

and finally the fact that stepping on the gas barely kicks out your car is ridiculous. IRL if you have anywhere from 400HP+ your rear is going to kick out if you smash the gas. GT5 doesn't implement this into the game because GT5 is a DRIVING SIMULATOR. Not a racing/drifting simulator. :). Anyways back to the OP. Once again nice drifting I enjoyed watching it.

Even though I use DS3 for GT5, I drift in real life & I'm pretty sure that drifting in GT5 with a wheel is not of much help in real life. Why... well basically in GT5 your sitting still but in real life your inside the car & you feel the weight shifts, you feel how the suspension reacts, like Protege says, make the rear end kick out is so easy compared to GT5. I'm still in the learning process, got a lot to learn & right now my biggest problem is the clutch & shifting mid-drift (pain in the @ss), I know a lot of people in GT5 don't use clutch, another "bad habit". It may be a simulator but it's not close to drifting in real life.

@OP: Nice vid. 👍

Well i have to say that gt5 will help you learn the concept for sure mainly the hand movements, like learning how to feed the wheel back in after counter steer to get more angle or to prevent snap back. But it is no where near the same as drifting an actual car. Like said before the amount of steering adjustment needed in gt5 to keep a drift stable is crazy lol, but it does resemble what you would have to do in a car. My point is it does teach you a lot about how to drift but it's not the most realistic sim out there. Good luck with your progression in the car!

Getting one in 2 weeks tops :). You need to add my new account. I'll add you in a few minutes.

GT5's Bad Habits:

Riding the limiter ALL THE TIME :/ (Not everyone does it but a lot of people do)

The ridiculous amount of steering required (Yea it resembles real life but in GT5 its non-stop steering vs real life where you can hold the wheel in one spot for a few seconds, never any 100% smooth drifting in GT5)

anything above 300hp in GT5 doesn't handle like it would in real life when it comes to drifting...

GT5s tire heating system when drifting is beyond unrealistic

Banks are ridiculously hard in GT5 however (this is from others who have drifted)

Springs and dampers don't affect a car like they should

and finally the fact that stepping on the gas barely kicks out your car is ridiculous. IRL if you have anywhere from 400HP+ your rear is going to kick out if you smash the gas. GT5 doesn't implement this into the game because GT5 is a DRIVING SIMULATOR. Not a racing/drifting simulator. :). Anyways back to the OP. Once again nice drifting I enjoyed watching it.

EDIT: Ill accept it as soon as i get on the PS3 again.. (Probably tonight...)

I usually dont ride the rev limiter all the time as it provides less power then keeping a nice amount of revs or going up a gear...

I would have to agree on the steering inputs, Tyre heating, and Banks. I dont have a clue about springs and dampers...

@UKO: Man i would feel so 🤬 boss if i had been able to do something like that!!!

Latest Posts

Back