IRL Lap Times vs. GT Sport: How do you Compare?

• Thread starter YRS2703
  • 7 comments
Syria
Syria
YRS_2003
Has anyone tried to beat an IRL lap time/record in GT Sport?
I've had a go with the Taycan on a factory setup, managed to go quicker than the alleged 7:42 (albeit by just a second) on a scruffy lap... post your attempts at beating an IRL lap below!

at Willow Springs, my GT Sport lap times are faster than my IRL lap times ... but it is a simulation, too many variables for actual compaqrison
I drove at the only real circuit here in Croatia (Grobnik Automotodrome). Before that i was trying and practicing it out on Assetto Corsa because someone recreated the track. I had major problems on literally the first corner while driving it on AC. Went to the track IRL, rented out the Clio Cup IV and had no problems at all on the first corner, while i had a problem with weight shift to the front under braking and losing the rear at another corner on which i didnt have any problem on the sim (hence i spun). Too bad i didnt record it or had someone keep times but i was very satisfied with my drive.
And as you said, too many variables for actual comparison; tyre temperature, brake temperature, track temperature and moisture on track, other cars, etc, and of course - fear.

Has anyone tried to beat an IRL lap time/record in GT Sport?
I've had a go with the Taycan on a factory setup, managed to go quicker than the alleged 7:42 (albeit by just a second) on a scruffy lap... post your attempts at beating an IRL lap below!
I can beat Blancpain laps pretty easily. An example: Spa, the fastest combined quali lap in 2019 is a 2:20, but I've set 2:18s on hards. I think that racing tyres have too much lateral grip and not enough longitudinal grip. It might also be that GT Sport's using tyre models from Michelin and Michelin has more grip than Pirelli.
Sports tyres may be the most accurate though, at least that's what I've heard.

I can beat Blancpain laps pretty easily. An example: Spa, the fastest combined quali lap in 2019 is a 2:20, but I've set 2:18s on hards. I think that racing tyres have too much lateral grip and not enough longitudinal grip. It might also be that GT Sport's using tyre models from Michelin and Michelin has more grip than Pirelli.
Sports tyres may be the most accurate though, at least that's what I've heard.
Cars with sport tyres behave more closely to their AC counterparts IIRC... but yeah the tyres definitely lack longitudinal grip, very easy to notice when launching from a standstill and the cars just can't find any form of traction. Also, oversteer feels way too easy to catch with GT cars (Gr.3 and Gr.2 in particular), which is kinda werid since when these cars slide an inch over the usual fine margin of error it's usually game over and into the barrier they go
Hopefully the Michelin partnership can help fix issues like that, if it actually does have a role in improving the tyre model.

Yes, in more than one game, not just GT Sport. But i dare you drive IRL how you do in GT Sport or any other sim.

Try going on a track day, rent a car and try to drive as you do in GT Sport, braking late, overtaking, etc. Not as easy as you would think

Exactly. No risk in a sim.
Irl you can’t hit a button and reset when your car is a flaming pile of junk against a barricade.
Go drive Nurb the way you do in a game lol.

Back