Talentless

Yes, I am still alive.
Staff Emeritus
WFG9
Irvine third for Michelin in Montreal
Canadian GP – Michelin – Practice Report [09/06/01 - 01:28]

irvine-montreal_080601_220x175.jpg

Eddie Irvine/Jaguar

cLaren drivers Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard         dominated the opening day of the Canadian Grand Prix, eighth round of the year's Formula 1 world championship when the Finn lapped in 1:17.762, .414 ahead of his teammate and .677 faster than last year's pole position lap at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Mika is looking for a substantial change in fortune this weekend. Twice a world champion in the past, he has scored only two points finishes this year and is currently 48 points behind world championship leader Michael Schumacher, who was 11th quickest today.

Hot on the heels of his podium finish in Monaco, Jaguar's best F1 result to date, Eddie Irvine was the fastest Michelin runner in third place, fractionally faster than BMW WilliamsF1 teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher in 5th and 6th respectively. All three drivers recovered from brief off-course excursions and Montoya has high hopes of a good result at a track he has never seen before. Jean Alesi headed the other Michelin runners, from Pedro de la Rosa in 14th, Giancarlo Fisichella, 15th, Luciano Burti, 17th, Fernando Alonso, 20th, Jenson Button, 21st and Tarso Marques in 22nd.

A variety of technical problems hindered European Minardi and led to its drivers completing the lowest aggregate number of laps. Local hero Jacques Villeneuve (BAR-Honda) was a spectator for most of the day after crashing heavily at Turn Five in the first part of the two- hour session. The Canadian was on only his 14th lap of the day when he spun into the concrete retaining wall at high speed. His car was extensively damaged by the impact but Villeneuve was unhurt.

MICHELIN'S DAY:

Pierre Dupasquier, Motorsport Director:
Question: Montreal is unexplored territory…..
“This is a circuit with very particular characteristics that we are unable to replicate anywhere else. The chicanes demand a high level of traction, while the long straights have a tendency to heat up the tyres, which can be very punishing for softer compounds. The way drivers deal with the kerbs can influence tyre wear, too, and most of them have different techniques. In this way Montreal provides a lot of new experiences for us.”

Question: And durability?
“Things are pretty much what we expected, for the moment, but we have a slight doubt about what might happen if the track conditions don't change tomorrow.”

Question: Compound A or B – which should drivers choose?
“Both the compounds we have brought with us appear to be suited to the track. They are quite different in construction, mainly in terms of the rubber compound, but there doesn't appear to be much between them as far as performance is concerned. Ultimately we could see both being used in the race on Sunday.”

Question: What effect is traction control having?
“This development probably makes the wheels try to spin more, although it is of course controlled. We have noticed more significant rear tyre wear since traction control reappeared in races.”

Question: What about the extremely quick lap times this morning?
“The organizers certainly cleaned the surface well overnight. What's more, the support races have helped to prepare the circuit. The track also evolved significantly between the two sessions.”

Latest 15 stories, here...Changes delay MichaelIrvine third for Michelin in ...Friday press conferenceVilleneuve sees red after ...McLaren duo lead practiceGood day for AlesiA disappointing start for ...Opening day disaster for ...Typical Friday for ...Two in the top sixHakkinen smashes track ...Abrupt end for FrentzenEncouraging start for Jaguar ...Difficult start for ...Sauber headed in the right ...  
Robyn Schmidt, Chief English Editor
CAPSIS International

Quote: from Talentless on 8:15 pm on June 8, 2001[br]The chicanes demand a high level of traction, while the long straights have a tendency to heat up the tyres

Why would the long straights heat up the tires?  I thought the corners would do that the most.

I think it would depend on how much braking is necessary for the chicane, how hard, long that it is needed. The increasing speed of a straight, up to a point, might be the reason for the heat.

Oh, OK.  I'm going to look at a map of the circuit because I've never seen it before...

I think it is probably because that this year, the tyres are a lot softer to make up for the loss of downforce which effects them a bit more on the straight. Jordan you are also right that the tyres will be put under a lot more stress at the chicane because on the long straight they must be pushing 200 mph. They also have to brake fairly hard into turns 1,3,6 and I think 7.

Back