• Thread starter Venari
  • 25 comments

Venari

GTPEDIA Contributor
Premium
England
Banbaria.
GTP_Venari
Legitimate question, I think, had a search, couldn't find an answer.

While online racing is cool, how much hassle is it to do it socially?

Can a local LAN be setup using the normal (WAN/internet) connectivity but using switch hardware?

I've looked for this answer, but I haven't heard yet. I hope so. LAN makes having private arenas to play with friends online through xlink possible again.

TTT. I'd still like to know... it's a much better reason to buy a PS3 and GT5:P (viz, a justification to spend money I haven't really got) than just being able to play random peasants from the rest of the world! :D

I'll be able to try this on May 1st, perhaps (daan-willing). But I'm sure I've seen someone LAN 3 PS3s to use as monitors with a GT game...

Legitimate question, I think, had a search, couldn't find an answer.

While online racing is cool, how much hassle is it to do it socially?

Can a local LAN be setup using the normal (WAN/internet) connectivity but using switch hardware?

I'll be able to try this on May 1st, perhaps (daan-willing).

This thread was started some months ago ;) .

Famine is it possible? Were you able to try it?

Also is it possible to do a LAN event wirelessly?

No, its not possible. Of course i cannot prove that, but i am pretty sure you cant connect to others without connecting to a PD server, i guess thats hardcoded into GT5P. And that server will never help you to connect to others on your private LAN.

Last edited:
It is technicaly possible in the blink of the eye, but such feature is still not being made public.

We managed to log into the same race at the same time from a switched LAN, but one of us would get dropped randomly.

MLG did it with COD 4 by using a closed internet connecton or something so no one could join the game, so its possible.

This is something I'm interested in as well...

I ran Wireshark (f.k.a. Ethereal) to sniff the traffic going on when in an Online event and it does not look like anything familiar to me. But I do know that most of the intelligence is already at the client/PS3 end and the server end is only used at the start. But Sony has been very paranoid and has been encrypting most traffic over SSL/HTTPS which limits what we can see in plaintext :(

IF anyone is currently working on reverse engineering this process, please share what you've found out so far.... maybe we can somehow be able to achieve our very own Private Room or LAN gaming without waiting for 12 months ;) ;)

We managed to log into the same race at the same time from a switched LAN, but one of us would get dropped randomly.

This is because the online traffic runs on the same UDP port and your router doing the NAT function can't differentiate who to send it to so it probably sends to the one seen last in the router's NAT state table.

:cheers:

Last edited:
In all the GT Academy finals across Europe, Sony used two player split screen for the head to head finals, so I doubt they would've settled for such a poor substitute if it were possible.

In all the GT Academy finals across Europe, Sony used two player split screen for the head to head finals, so I doubt they would've settled for such a poor substitute if it were possible.

But didnt Sony use standard physics for some of the GT academy events so there staff arent the best.

But didnt Sony use standard physics for some of the GT academy events so there staff arent the best.

Yes, for one European event, I believe it was the Spanish National Final that used standard physics instead of the specified Pro physics that was intended for all National Finals.

This is because the online traffic runs on the same UDP port and your router doing the NAT function can't differentiate who to send it to so it probably sends to the one seen last in the router's NAT state table.

:cheers:

The Dutch contingent often play with multiple PS3s attached to a switched LAN, all ending up in the same race (with others who choose that race)...

How... I don't know. I imagine there's some setting somewhere that permits it.

The Dutch contingent often play with multiple PS3s attached to a switched LAN, all ending up in the same race (with others who choose that race)...

How... I don't know. I imagine there's some setting somewhere that permits it.

Hey but hold on, im no networking genious however in doing what your saying means accessing the online races, each machine has to have access to the internet (easy that) but then why would you need a LAN?

If all the machines were in one location then simply just enter a race at the same time, just like many do at set intervels over the internet (eg 3 mins 8mins 13mins) . The games match making would / should group them together on most occasions. Ive seen times where there have been 10 out of 16 players from AV FORUMS (names all AVF labelled) using such a method but from their individual homes.

*Their is no mention of any LAN features as yet.....

I don't think UDP routing is the issue, otherwise you could never have two PS3s using the same ADSL connection. I've often played with two local players and a couple of remote players on PC games which use UDP packets.

I wonder if the problem is that one of Famine or Daan was chosen as the server and when the other tried to talk to him it was using the external IP address.

I wonder if the Dutch guys are using "real" IP addresses so there's no NAT. Hmmmm.

I'l try and find another PS3 and make a visit to the data center! :-)

Hey but hold on, im no networking genious however in doing what your saying means accessing the online races, each machine has to have access to the internet (easy that) but then why would you need a LAN?

Because my router is in the hallway where the main phone point is. I can't plug more than 4 machines into it (unless we go wireless - and that didn't work either), so I've put a network point in the garage where we have the games with the switch(es) plugged into that.

Just another little thought with regrads to LANNING.

To my knowledge only the 60gb PS3 has the ethernet connection on it :nervous:. So LANNING would not be possible with the non 60gb PS3....or would it? Can you LAN wirelessly in theory?

of course you could setup a LAN over WLAN, it doesn't matter what physical access you use to connect to others. And the "non 60GB" PS3 has an ethernet port as well, at least mine does ;-)

But to say it clearly: Setting up a LAN and play against your friends locally only (and not play with others over the internet) is not possible at the moment, although it would be very easy to implement that feature for PD....

of course you could setup a LAN over WLAN, it doesn't matter what physical access you use to connect to others. And the "non 60GB" PS3 has an ethernet port as well, at least mine does ;-)

But to say it clearly: Setting up a LAN and play against your friends locally only (and not play with others over the internet) is not possible at the moment, although it would be very easy to implement that feature for PD....

Same with private rooms or friend invites, but for some reason they don't want to.

Just another little thought with regrads to LANNING.

To my knowledge only the 60gb PS3 has the ethernet connection on it :nervous:. So LANNING would not be possible with the non 60gb PS3....or would it? Can you LAN wirelessly in theory?

All PS3's have ethernet ports.

That would be stupid.

Don't mess about son.......just tell me straight. You're surname doesn't scare me!

All PS3's have ethernet ports.

edebert and Turbo thankyou for a more Grown Up/Adult response. I have just learnt something new today so thanks 👍 That saying is right then.......''You're never to old to learn''

I must have read the spec info wrong then about the non 60GB PS3's with regards to the ethernet port :dunce: .

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back