Is ACC playable with a controller?

• Thread starter Adam_GT_33
  • 29 comments
United States
New York City
Adam_GT_33
ACC is on sale for 13.50. I keep seeing people rave about the physics. However, I am on a PS5 controller. What I want to know, is it playable on a controller? Obviously a wheel is faster, but I don’t want to buy it and be utterly disappointed. Happened to me with PCars 2 a few years back which was terrible on controller.

I played it for a while on PS5. It is playable on controller, but I had to spent a lot of time on setup. Now that I've mostly gone back to playing GT Sport and F1, ACC feels impossible.

It's definitely not optimised for controller, but if it's the only game you're playing, it's doable. It's great once you get into a groove, but hoping they optimise it further for the PS5 release.

I played it for a while on PS5. It is playable on controller, but I had to spent a lot of time on setup. Now that I've mostly gone back to playing GT Sport and F1, ACC feels impossible.

It's definitely not optimised for controller, but if it's the only game you're playing, it's doable. It's great once you get into a groove, but hoping they optimise it further for the PS5 release.
GT Sport on a controller is just perfect for me, especially with the motion controls. Been playing F1 2021 and the haptic feedback makes it feel harder to drive imo, but also to me the F1 games are always a bit hard because the cars are so fast. I too am hoping they focus a bit more with the PS5 update. What made you go back to GTS?

GT Sport on a controller is just perfect for me, especially with the motion controls. Been playing F1 2021 and the haptic feedback makes it feel harder to drive imo, but also to me the F1 games are always a bit hard because the cars are so fast. I too am hoping they focus a bit more with the PS5 update. What made you go back to GTS?
Yeah GT is perfect on controller. I tend to switch between games from time to time and just found myself hooked on GT Sport again, particularly the Norsdschleife.

Have also spent a bit of time on Dirt Rally 2.0 lately (after a failed experiment with WRC 10) and F1, but GT Sport keeps me coming back.

Last edited:
Yeah GT is perfect on controller. I tend to switch between games from time to time and just found myself hooked on GT Sport again, particularly the Norsdschleife.

Have also spent a bit of time on Dirt Rally 2.0 lately (after a failed experiment with WRC 10) and F1, but GT Sport keeps me coming back.
What are your thoughts on Dirt Rally 2 vs WRC 10? Been playing with the idea of getting Dirt since it’s on sale for 10 bucks now, but some of WRC’s features seem nice. Also I wish more racing games used the motion control feature. It makes Gt so addicting for me

ACC is on sale for 13.50. I keep seeing people rave about the physics. However, I am on a PS5 controller. What I want to know, is it playable on a controller? Obviously a wheel is faster, but I don’t want to buy it and be utterly disappointed. Happened to me with PCars 2 a few years back which was terrible on controller.
Yes it is playable on a controller but you need to stuff around with the settings. I have the deadzone set a 0, the steer speed at 50, the speed sensitivity at 60, the steer filter at 70 and steer gamma at 2.0.

I’m on DS4/PS4. Haven’t touched any controller settings. Main challenges are making sure tyres and brakes warm up a bit and AI settings. That’s it for me.
After braking, the way cars hold a line when cornering, compliments the controller settings.

I feel I get a lot of information about what the car is doing and a virtual feel of the road.

What are your thoughts on Dirt Rally 2 vs WRC 10? Been playing with the idea of getting Dirt since it’s on sale for 10 bucks now, but some of WRC’s features seem nice. Also I wish more racing games used the motion control feature. It makes Gt so addicting for me
WRC 10 was horrible. Played it for about an hour and couldn't stand it, went straight back to Dirt Rally 2.0.

WRC 10 features are good but the overall experience sucks. The graphics, the sound, the handling on controller. Just awful.

I just bought ACC and it plays well on ACC for me with the default controller settings. I have just used one car so far the McLaren and it handles like a dream.

Best tip for controller playing is that for steering to push the stick forward and turn the stick on the edge of the radius. It’s MUCH smoother than just flicking the stick and I found it makes the game much more fun if controller is your only option
Really good tip!

I do have a question is there any way to remap throttle and brake? I would like to be able to use the right stick for throttle and brake. If you can't that is okay bit it strange since I was able to remap it for Assetto Corsa

Definitely hoping for this too. The different from GTS to ACC on controller is too jarring to overcome, and you can see visually with the drivers arms all over the place in bizarre motions, you can get sort of used to it if you really force it but jumping back into another title is such a relief control wise afterwards.

The new trailers look great and have me excited for its content again, but if it's still as bad on controller I don't want to end up wasting my money twice.

Best tip for controller playing is that for steering to push the stick forward and turn the stick on the edge of the radius. It’s MUCH smoother than just flicking the stick and I found it makes the game much more fun if controller is your only option
Is that with adjustments to settings as well or do you just run it default?

I have GTS, F12019, Dirt Rally 2.0 and Wreckfest on PS4 Pro. They all play so great with a controller.

Definitely hoping for this too. The different from GTS to ACC on controller is too jarring to overcome, and you can see visually with the drivers arms all over the place in bizarre motions, you can get sort of used to it if you really force it but jumping back into another title is such a relief control wise afterwards.

The new trailers look great and have me excited for its content again, but if it's still as bad on controller I don't want to end up wasting my money twice.
Luckily it's a free upgrade 😉

I have GTS, F12019, Dirt Rally 2.0 and Wreckfest on PS4 Pro. They all play so great with a controller.
Agreed. You really can tell that ACC was designed for PC / wheel. The initial console release was a half baked effort of you ask me

To me those settings on PC are perfect, if you're smooth with your inputs the car is perfectly controllable on Xbox One or Series Controller.
https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/ultimate-assetto-corsa-competizione-controller-settings/

However when I got ACC for my Xbox Series X (as my PC struggles a bit to run it), those settings felt odd. It was similar but different and somewhat more difficult to control at the same time. The console version might be interpreting controller settings differently for some reason.

Last edited:
To me those settings on PC are perfect, if you're smooth with your inputs the car is perfectly controllable on Xbox One or Series Controller.
https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/ultimate-assetto-corsa-competizione-controller-settings/

However when I got ACC for my Xbox Series X (as my PC struggles a bit to run it), those settings felt odd. It was similar but different and somewhat more difficult to control at the same time. The console version might be interpreting controller settings differently for some reason.
PC and console are running different physics right now so maybe that makes a difference in the controller feel?

It could be but I remember being fine with those settings for a long time on PC before the physics update. On PC I was always able to drive the car smoothly almost as if I was using a wheel, while on Xbox my steering is more jerky. It will be interesting to see how it drives after the Next Gen update. It's also important to note that those settings were made on older ACC but they are still great today on PC.

EDIT: I increased Steer Filter from 10 to 20 and it feels very good now. Very much like it does on PC.

Last edited:
A question, can I calibrate dual sense on PS5 as wheel and limit turning radius degree? I have tried that on first AC on PC and it woked great, but want to know before buying if this option still possible on console and ACC?

Last edited:

I tried these out after randomly googling that page, and they are really good for ACC PC version. I'm still definitely faster and more consistent with a wheel, but compared to the default controller settings these feel much less twitchy and it's quite easy to bang in consistent laps. Recommended.

Playing on PS5 and I haven't been able to use my wheel recently, got a bit curious as the game has always felt unplayable on controller for me, whatever the settings. I can only assume they've finally made some changes as though it still feels almost sluggish but too sensitive paradoxically, it's definitely easier to manage around and I was able to put some decent laps down at Monza and Paul Ricard.

Just with the default settings, so perhaps has been adjusted to give the controller a better balance.

This would be okay to enjoy single player I don't know how competitive it would be online though.

It is indeed good with a DualSense, no issues so far.

Side question, can anyone explain how to pit without losing 3 seconds, it seems pit animation takes too long for me, and usually a solid gap between places matters not at the end of pit stop. Also can't find any pit strategy options in menus, only in game.

Last edited:
In the beginning I felt it was impossible but now that I've put in ALOT of hours (pure stubbornness of not being defeated by the machines before they take over) I can say its actually pretty good, it rewards consistency and its made me substantially better in F1 and GT7. Make sure the tires are up to temp before going all Lewis Hamilton. Someone said that braking favors the controller and it does.....so yea

There is a special on for today (and tomorrow?) where ACC is free to play on Steam, on my PC.

I will consider buying it, but I only have a PS4 controller. I might try setting up my wheel, but that would require my wife agreeing to having it in the living room... ;)

I can't get my PS4 controller to work, and I have no idea what to do. I understand basics of PC management, but I'm not seriously savvy in big coding.

Any ideas?

There is a special on for today (and tomorrow?) where ACC is free to play on Steam, on my PC.

I will consider buying it, but I only have a PS4 controller. I might try setting up my wheel, but that would require my wife agreeing to having it in the living room... ;)

I can't get my PS4 controller to work, and I have no idea what to do. I understand basics of PC management, but I'm not seriously savvy in big coding.

Any ideas?
I had the same issue as well (also trying ACC out this weekend), DS4 was just not being detected as it usually would with my usual settings... I eventually stumbled onto a thread that suggested going into Big Picture mode and launching ACC from there and that did the trick!

Back