Is an aspiration to "clean" racing an absolute pre req to racing GTS online?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 26 comments
Germany
Germany
I've been playing GTS for about 4 months now. Haven't done any online racing. Wanted to get more comfy with the game first. One thing that puts me off going online is the fact that there seems to be so much talk about penalties and "dirty" racers. I mean here's the thing; when I race against AI, I do tend to use other cars as stoppers and bumpers. If I'm going round a sharp bend or approaching a corner at much too high a speed and another car is there to be used as a bumper, I'm gonna use it!! From reading a few threads and discussions, it seems this isn't really acceptable in most online races.

Are there lobbies and places for so called "no holds barred" type racing where people can race each other as though they were AI and not be so concerned about clean racing? Does one's driver rating get affected by all online lobby races or only in the official FIA races?

Hi, yes and no, there are some lobbies in which dirty racing is accepted, if you want more serious racing like taking part in the daily or the FIA races then think about it this way: if you're in a race with the intention to perform as well as you possibly can, possibly get a podium or even a win, how would you feel if in the first turn someone crashes into your car's rear end causing you to spin off track and continue from the back not being able to gain the positions you lost?
If the answer is: I'm fine with that, then go ahead and start racing in lobbies where dirty driving is accepted or even required, if however the answer is: I would get very frustrated, then adapt your racing style, try to race as cleanly as you possibly can, practice offline races, make it your mission to earn that clean race bonus each and every race, and once your comfortable with this racing style, join the rest of us in the daily races. You have to make sure not to enter daily races like this week's race C however, for me this week, a better corner exit before the start/finish straight resulted in getting bumped into the pits while I was on a no pit strategy doing very well in my Cayman against all the Huracans, it actually took him 3 bumps to get me in the pits. It can be frustrating.

If you're offline style of driving is what you intend to continue with online then do the rest of us a favour - keep playing offline. I strive continuously for a clean race above everything else. The feeling of a race win from mid grid all done cleanly is one of the best.

Lobby races wont affect your sportsmanship rating - only Daily races and FIA races.

I suppose you can drive as dirty as you like, but you will be lumped in with other dirty drivers and could be disqualified from races if you accumulate too many penalties. If you have any aspiration to compete with the best drivers, then you will have to leave the dirty racing in the lobbies.

Why do you think that just because it's AI you are allowed, even supposed to do the things you say you do in the first post?

How about treating them like real drivers and trying to avoid them. That way you know you beat them by going faster and not by forcing them off the road?

@CustomX as long as you know that the way you drive is considered wrong and bad, you can be aware of it and then try to avoid it. You are aware of the way your driving is perceived right?

I remember seeing a YouTuber (Super GT?) post a video of a dirty lobby in Forza 7. This lobby was actually kind of cool, though. Apparently, most of the grid was comprised of tiny, slow cars (can't remember if there was a particular make/model they had to select), but a few of the participants drove around in a truck, an F1, and something else and they kept ramming all of the slower drivers off the track as they were trying to race one another. It looked like fun.

I actually don't have a problem with dirty lobbies. They can be fun, but there's obviously a time and a place for them. It's bad form to try that **** in Sport Mode or clean lobbies.

@CustomX as long as you know that the way you drive is considered wrong and bad, you can be aware of it and then try to avoid it. You are aware of the way your driving is perceived right?

Yes. I think my first post makes that clear. This thread has answered my questions and confirmed my good judgement in not yet racing online.

Yes. I think my first post makes that clear. This thread has answered my questions and confirmed my good judgement in not yet racing online.
Good. watch some race replays and learn some good racecraft and we'll see you signing up for thing in no time 👍

Why do you think that just because it's AI you are allowed, even supposed to do the things you say you do in the first post?

How about treating them like real drivers and trying to avoid them. That way you know you beat them by going faster and not by forcing them off the road?

Because the AI does not drive clean either and cheats with magic speed boosts and unreal grip. Try knocking an AI car out of the way, it's like trying to bump a truck in a mini. They are moving bumpers that brake mid corner to screw you up. then suddenly go 5 sec per lap faster to spin you out on the final lap. Please do not take the AI as an example of how to race :)

Yet please do use the AI to let off some steam instead of sport mode. Or dirty no holds barred lobbies of course.

Because the AI does not drive clean either and cheats with magic speed boosts and unreal grip. Try knocking an AI car out of the way, it's like trying to bump a truck in a mini. They are moving bumpers that brake mid corner to screw you up. then suddenly go 5 sec per lap faster to spin you out on the final lap. Please do not take the AI as an example of how to race :)

Yet please do use the AI to let off some steam instead of sport mode. Or dirty no holds barred lobbies of course.

I like to refer to the magic speed boost of AI as "the hand of Kaz". You learn to watch your radar very closely grinding at BMB in the N300 X-Bow. The 2nd corner is particularly bad, lapped cars nowhere close will suddenly appear on the rear corner of your bumper and even hit you while you are the leader and the blue flags are out and destroy your clean race bonus. I have watched replays of some of my incidents there and cars running 5 MPH slower than me will suddenly make up 4-5 car lengths and pull up alongside me creating a difficult situation trying to maintain my clean race bonus, that is "the hand of Kaz" at work. :lol::lol: I too have noticed when you hit an AI car they will very seldom spin, it appears that they may be filled with concrete which may also explain the AI braking mid-apex. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I want to start doing daily races. But I will assume I’ll be last in dash race until I get familiar with the rules and etiquette. I’m watching Super GT videos now to listen and watch and learn.

I’m just not that precise yet.

Lobby races wont affect your sportsmanship rating - only Daily races and FIA races.

I suppose you can drive as dirty as you like, but you will be lumped in with other dirty drivers and could be disqualified from races if you accumulate too many penalties. If you have any aspiration to compete with the best drivers, then you will have to leave the dirty racing in the lobbies.
Until you get to the World Tour finals where it's the wild wild west! :ill:

Just dive in man. You can’t prepare for sport mode in the sp game because it races so differently. Just hop in try to stay clean and consistent and as you move up the ranks you will hopefully place with guys clean like you

I want to start doing daily races. But I will assume I’ll be last in dash race until I get familiar with the rules and etiquette. I’m watching Super GT videos now to listen and watch and learn.

The vast majority do not drive that well, the cream of the crop drivers or aliens as they are referred to are in a league of their own. The best thing you can do is spend a good bit of time qualifying to familiarize yourself with the track, braking points, and exit speed. It can sometimes help to turn your ghost on, then you can see where you gain and lose time so you can adjust accordingly. If you can go out and run 5-10 laps within a second you will do just fine in sport mode, probably better than most. Dont try to be too aggressive, until you get in the upper DR ranks many of your passes will come from others making mistakes if you are consistant.

Just qualify before you enter a race, and you should be starting among drivers with a similar skill level. Just start out driving carefully, rather than aggressively, and I think you'll see that you're already better than many of the Sport drivers.

It's not a life and death endeavor. It's really not that serious. Just do it. Everyone you're racing with makes mistakes. There are drunk people racing. There are little kids racing. There are bogus/undeserved penalties. There are disconnects.

Just try to have fun with it.

Last edited:
Just qualify before you enter a race, and you should be starting among drivers with a similar skill level. Just start out driving carefully, rather than aggressively, and I think you'll see that you're already better than many of the Sport drivers.

It's not a life and death endeavor. It's really not that serious. Just do it. Everyone you're racing with makes mistakes. There are drunk people racing. There are little kids racing. There are bogus/undeserved penalties. There are disconnects.

Just try to have fun with it.
And drunk kids racing?!

(Probably. We were all teenagers)

And when you DO manage to spin out an AI car, it gets back on the road with relative ease while your car magically gains a bunch of weight and your racing tires turn into comforts.

And when you DO manage to spin out an AI car, it gets back on the road with relative ease while your car magically gains a bunch of weight and your racing tires turn into comforts.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not only that but no matter what you do with gas, brake, and steering you always end up sliding backwards like the car has 99% rear weight bias.

Well, did my first daily race at Mt Panorama. Started 11th and finished 9th. Was hammered off the course by one crazy driver. But had fun. Now to figure out how to know your DR.

Back