Is bumper cam cockpit cam without the cockpit?

• Thread starter Nagaremono
  • 19 comments
Wales
Wales
Was doing the Sardegna race today, SC430, switching between cams to see which felt better. Noticed that bumper cam and cockpit cam appear to be the same viewpoint, just with bumper cam having the car’s interior invisible. The bit in the ‘window’ looks exactly the same as the same area in bumper cam.
Am I right?

As far as I know, yes you are, with the "bumper cam" naturally being centered unlike the cockpit cam. It also has different height and viewpoint width depending on the car you use which points in the same direction, as does the fact that when hitting something it happens earlier than you'd think which means there's distance between the camera and the actual front surface of the car.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I'm a bumper cam aficionado, and I thought the viewpoint was literally stuck on the front of the car right up against the tarmac.

It actually makes a lot of sense that it's not, and explains my difficulty in judging distance to the car in front!

I’m pretty sure it’s exactly the same view (possibly a degree or two left or right to centre it, though I can’t even really see that) except with everything, car interior and your own hands, made invisible. If you park up looking at some trees or mountains and switch between cams the bit in the ‘window’ stays exactly the same as far as I can tell.

I always thought ‘bumper’ cam felt too high (I used to use it all the time in GTS), kinda like I was sitting in the engine bay with my head sticking out through the bonnet/hood. But now I see it’s normal driving position, with an invisible car.

After reading this, I checked using the CLK-LM. There is a slight difference in the height between the bumper cam and in-car cam. It's not much, but there is one.

Note: I haven't checked other cars. That's just the car I was in at the time I read this thread.

Possibly varies between car (because each has to be postitioned manually by the devs) but in my experience the bumper cam is considerably lower and further forward - hence 'bumper' - than the cockpit camera.

I've never noticed them being even remotely similar.

Last edited:
..and where did you see that?
It was either an article/interview from some time back or in the description of an official GT YouTube vid. I was looking for something completely unrelated just yesterday and read it.

Possibly varies between car (because each has to be postitioned manually by the devs) but in my experience the bumper cam is considerably lower and further forward - hence 'bumper' - than the cockpit camera.

I've never noticed them being even remotely similar.
It makes sense to think the height is based on peddle box location. As this isn’t too dissimilar between a race or road car. The actual driver seating position is different. But in most cars the peddle box is on (or very near) the floor. The odd vehicles were you do notice a difference are the likes of the Samba bus and pick-ups. You can even notice a difference when you lower a car.

As for where in the car the driver is located. It’s certainly not anywhere near the bumper. You can feel the weight shift as if you where located in the drivers seat. All other bumper cams I’ve tried have a heavy pendulum effect. Hence I always switch to the bonnet/hood cam in those titles. I’ve also seen some pic evidence on this site (when this subject was last discussed) which showed a very subtle difference between left & right hand drive cars. They don’t appear to all be completely central.

Last edited:
It is not the same.
Depending on car design, the height difference can be minimal, on racing cars where the driver sits very low, almost horizontal, like a formula, but in road cars where the seating position is more normal, is huge, like the Ford F-150 or the Toyota Tundra.

Last edited:
It’s more like an engine bay cam. The speedo and tac represent where your wheels are and the rev bar at the top is where your bumper is.

Last edited:
It’s definitely not a “bumper cam” which is what in turn makes it the best version of that type of camera compared to any other racing game.

peddle box?
The peddle location in the footwell.

This would explain why we don’t see a great deal of difference in cam height between a regular road car & prototype/single seater. If it was based on seat height race car drivers are basically sat on the floor of the vehicle. So very different to most road cars.

Samba bus and pick-ups are the only vehicles that have a noticeably higher cam. And, obviously, the peddle box in those cars is located much higher.

Last edited:
Was doing the Sardegna race today, SC430, switching between cams to see which felt better. Noticed that bumper cam and cockpit cam appear to be the same viewpoint, just with bumper cam having the car’s interior invisible. The bit in the ‘window’ looks exactly the same as the same area in bumper cam.
Am I right?
Yes, you are.
You can easily test it for yourself if you’re unsure and prove it.
Switch to Cockpit View in any Car.
Than cover the Part of you Screen that shows your Cars’ Interior with a Cardbox or anything similar and than switch to the View without the Interior ( I intentionally don’t call it “Bumper Cam ) because it’s got nothing to do with a Bumper.
It’s an optical Trick which misleads People to believe it looks like a Bumper.
And then just adjust the Height up or down, because the Height Adjustment has to be done individually for each View.
Voila, you’ll see the same Window Cut out.
Exactly the same FOV.

The peddle location in the footwell.

This would explain why we don’t see a great deal of difference in cam height between a regular road car & prototype/single seater. If it was based on seat height race car drivers are basically sat on the floor of the vehicle. So very different to most road cars.

Samba bus and pick-ups are the only vehicles that have a noticeably higher cam. And, obviously, the peddle box in those cars is located much higher.
But you can't tell us where you saw this official information. Also, it's pedal.

I’m pretty sure it’s exactly the same view (possibly a degree or two left or right to centre it, though I can’t even really see that) except with everything, car interior and your own hands, made invisible. If you park up looking at some trees or mountains and switch between cams the bit in the ‘window’ stays exactly the same as far as I can tell.

I always thought ‘bumper’ cam felt too high (I used to use it all the time in GTS), kinda like I was sitting in the engine bay with my head sticking out through the bonnet/hood. But now I see it’s normal driving position, with an invisible car.
It is pretty close. The big differences are that it's centered and that you can't adjust it relative to the cockpit.

Last edited:
Back