Is DiRT still a rally game?

• Thread starter rafabr4
  • 12 comments
Mexico
Mexico
rafazed
Hi! I love rallies, but the ones that are like the WRC, like this game used to be (in DiRT1 or before). I rented DiRT2 but it has totally changed, now the races are more like an X-Games style, just like DiRT3. I like how these games used to be, like Colin Mcrae 1-5, however I find the official WRC game pretty bad.

What do you guys say? Is there any good rally game at the moment?
(GT5 rally mode sucks!)

This discussion was had at the time D2 came out - Colin McRae was heading for the X-Games style events before he died, so CM felt justified in including that style.

DiRT had other styles included also. As for the older games, you are unlikely to find newer titles that have long, complex stages due to graphics level used and the need to 'appeal to a wider, less easily distracted market base'

Seriously though - WRC 2011 and 2012 had plenty of full thirteen rally events with between five and seven stages per rally and a career structure - the second is a strong improvement on the first in style and looks - the third is shaping up to be even better.

The Best rally game has always been Colin Mcrae Rally, the original one on Playstation (One).

At the moment there don't seem to be many great rally games, I have high hopes for DiRT 4 though.

The whole series has been fun for me, and seems to be a very true representation of rally racing. Dirt is still very much a rally game, but it's not a pure rally game like the Colin McRae Rally games were, and the change really started with CMR 4 and 05 because the WRC license was lost, and going so far as to include the Nissan Dakar truck in CMR 05.

On that, there is more than the WRC that qualifies as rally racing, such as the Dakar and the Baja.

Overall, I like that the Dirt games expand on the off-road racing genre. I like the Hillclimb cars, enjoy the CORR trucks from Dirt 1, and the trucks i Dirt 2. Even with all the closed circuits, it's still very much rally.

The whole series has been fun for me, and seems to be a very true representation of rally racing. Dirt is still very much a rally game, but it's not a pure rally game like the Colin McRae Rally games were, and the change really started with CMR 4 and 05 because the WRC license was lost, and going so far as to include the Nissan Dakar truck in CMR 05.

On that, there is more than the WRC that qualifies as rally racing, such as the Dakar and the Baja.

You're right in that. There is a lot more rally than just WRC. As you mention, Dakar, Baja, and to an extend Hill-climb. However, if they were still using the Colin McRae name I'd say they should keep it to stuff Colin was really into and leave out those he-entered-once events.

If the OP is still looking for a good rally game, here's the solution:
Richard_Burns_Rally_Ps2.jpg

Not a car selection in the GT5 numbers, but quality over quantity (8 cars in total, Impreza '03, Impreza '00, 206, Xsara, Corolla, Evo VII, Hyundai, and one more that I've never unlocked myself)
In total 37 long, challenging stages with trees just outside the road (the shortest is 2.2km and the longets a little over 12km.)
More realistic damage, crashing and general physics than GT5 and almost any other racing game (believe me, almost anything on your car can break)
Season mode where you take part in 6 full rallies consisting of 6 stages with in total only 4 service breaks where you can repair and set up your car.
I'd give this game 9.5/10, it's slightly outdated (from 2004) but you can only see it on the car selection (but there's tons of mods with new cars out there) and the graphics are very good too.

I do miss the older ralyl games where when your on a stage you are usually in for the long haul.
The old games like the Colin McRae series was amazing, brings back memories.
Even the V-rally games where pretty good, I really enjoyed V-Rally 3.

For the DiRT Series the original DiRT was great, didn't play it a lot but I did like it.
DiRT 2 was a game I fell in love with, I played it more or less non stop until GT5 came out. I would still go back and play it but I have since got a new PS3 and am yet to transfer my old data over and won't play it till then lol :L

The WRC games fill a void for me in this regard. And WRC 3 is looking to be a huge improvement on the second.

The WRC games fill a void for me in this regard. And WRC 3 is looking to be a huge improvement on the second.

I played the one from 2010 I think it was and it was very poor in my eyes, not played any recent ones.

I loved DiRT 1 because it focused more on Point to Point rally, and strictly some disciplines. Then Ken Block arrived and the whole Nitro Circus crew arrived and ever since it has been explosions and gymkhana.

I loved DiRT 1 because it focused more on Point to Point rally, and strictly some disciplines. Then Ken Block arrived and the whole Nitro Circus crew arrived and ever since it has been explosions and gymkhana.

Agreed, I play DiRT 3 and enjoy the trailblazers and rallies, but it doesn't match up to DiRT 1 and CMR3. Thanks alot Ken Block for ruining games with your talents at wrecking your car and showingoff. BADLY!!!!

Hi! I love rallies, but the ones that are like the WRC, like this game used to be (in DiRT1 or before). I rented DiRT2 but it has totally changed, now the races are more like an X-Games style, just like DiRT3. I like how these games used to be, like Colin Mcrae 1-5, however I find the official WRC game pretty bad.

What do you guys say? Is there any good rally game at the moment?
(GT5 rally mode sucks!)
Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 was my all time favourite. The countries, tracks, cars and pace notes were perfect. Back then you had to rely on those pace notes, not a map. If you messed up, your damage was carried to the next race. Such an adrenaline rush winning when the car has suffered damage. I remember in CM 2004 flying along and my wheel rolling off the car lol. You still got to continue racing instead of having to use flashbacks or automatically retiring from the race. dont know why they changed so much when they were so good.

Codemasters, please bring back the old style rally games :) (and Toca touring cars)

Back