Is FM4 fun even if you don't have XBL Gold?

• Thread starter VTiRoj
  • 12 comments

VTiRoj

Howdy 🤠
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
RoJJieE
mb6roj
I've played Forza on and off for the past few years, but I never really got into it like I did with GT. My problem has always been the lack of interesting offline events because I don't have Xbox Live Gold. When I did have Gold though (thanks 1 month trials!), the game was a blast. I just don't feel like paying for something I can get for free on other platforms.

I currently have FM3 Ultimate Collection and I'm looking to buy FM4 once the Ultimate Collection for that gets released, so naturally I've got some questions before I buy.

1. How fun is FM4 when you don't have XBL Gold? I tend to get bored of FM3 pretty quickly because after making my car look pretty, there's nothing to do but race the AI. I know FM4 has a few game modes (like car football and the rivals mode) but that brings me to my next question.

2. What game modes am I locked out of because I won't have XBL Gold?

3. Is it even likely that a Forza 4 Ultimate Collection will be released soon? I've seen no news from Turn 10 regarding it.

4. As above but for Forza Horizon?

5. What can I transfer from FM3 to FM4? I've heard that you get rewards based on your level in FM3, but is there anything more? I've seen that some of the FM4 unicorn cars are easily purchased in FM3. Can I just buy one in FM3 and transfer it to FM4?

6. And finally, are there any major bugs I should be made aware of?

Please and thank you! :D:tup:

1. How fun is FM4 when you don't have XBL Gold?

I've got to say, ... none, whatsoever. I'm not a good tuner, nor am I a good painter, so if I want to get myself one awesome car, I need the storefront. Plus, of course, some awesome cars are to be had in the AH. If it wasn't for Gold, I think I'd soon get bored with driving stock.

OP, if you have a raw passion for cars, racing, tuning/modding and honing driving skills etc. you'll feel right at home with FM4's offline experience.

Well, I typically play without Gold, because the place where I've been staying for my job has satellite internet, which cannot handle any more than Rivals mode for multiplayer. So here's my $0.02.
  1. FM4 is extremely similar to FM3, but the physics are like night and day. The driving experience is way more rewarding and the differences between cars are much more pronounced. However, I essentially stopped playing around May 2012, because the track list is just too monotonous. I felt it was pointless to take all those DLC cars around the same few courses over and over again. I suggest going over the track list yourself -- they removed tracks that were in FM3, such as Rally di Positano Full.
  2. Football is a no-go for sure, along with tag/cat-and-mouse/etc. Because you can't access the online multiplayer menu, you can't even customize your races against the AI -- in a free race, the number of laps and the cars they use will be fixed. You can play Rivals mode, however, and that's a really great feature.
  3. No idea.
  4. A. It's a completely different kind of game. The open road offers many more possibilities in the downtime between events than FM4; you can race AI wanderers all day long from anywhere on the map to several predetermined finish points (essentially random routes), you can go rockclimbing in a few places with the Wrangler/Hummer/etc., or you can just drive aimlessly in your favorite cars while weaving through traffic. I've even painted a police Dodge Charger and gone chasing the AI wanderers trying to stop them, and I have a parking enforcement Fiesta for an amusing variation on the same thing. :lol: Photomode is addictive because of the extra possibilities and scenery.
    B. Same as FM4, the only multiplayer mode you could access would be Rivals. But it's still a great feature.
    C. It certainly won't appear anytime soon. If they go the same route as FM4, we still have seven DLC packs to go.
  5. You can't transfer cars yourself, you just get whatever the game gives you. FYI, Horizon does a similar thing if you've played FM4.
  6. From what I've read, cloud storage for your savegame + data is a bad idea.

Welcome to ForzaPlanet! :)

Not sure if said yet but rivals is open to silver members last I checked. Awesome mode if you get bored racing the AI

Forza is worth getting live for, I'm sure you could find a deal for a years sub to live.
Amazon are selling a years subscription for £30, very tempting. Works out to only a couple of pounds per month.

I've got to say, ... none, whatsoever. I'm not a good tuner, nor am I a good painter, so if I want to get myself one awesome car, I need the storefront. Plus, of course, some awesome cars are to be had in the AH. If it wasn't for Gold, I think I'd soon get bored with driving stock.
Yeah when I had my month of Gold, I spent a lot of time on FM3 buying a lot of stuff off the storefront so I could use them after my Gold expired. I can't imagine trying to do any designs without the decals I purchased.

OP, if you have a raw passion for cars, racing, tuning/modding and honing driving skills etc. you'll feel right at home with FM4's offline experience.
I think you're right, as you've just described what I do in GT5 already (tuning especially). :D

Well, I typically play without Gold, because the place where I've been staying for my job has satellite internet, which cannot handle any more than Rivals mode for multiplayer. So here's my $0.02.
  1. FM4 is extremely similar to FM3, but the physics are like night and day. The driving experience is way more rewarding and the differences between cars are much more pronounced. However, I essentially stopped playing around May 2012, because the track list is just too monotonous. I felt it was pointless to take all those DLC cars around the same few courses over and over again. I suggest going over the track list yourself -- they removed tracks that were in FM3, such as Rally di Positano Full.
  2. Football is a no-go for sure, along with tag/cat-and-mouse/etc. Because you can't access the online multiplayer menu, you can't even customize your races against the AI -- in a free race, the number of laps and the cars they use will be fixed. You can play Rivals mode, however, and that's a really great feature.
  3. No idea.
  4. A. It's a completely different kind of game. The open road offers many more possibilities in the downtime between events than FM4; you can race AI wanderers all day long from anywhere on the map to several predetermined finish points (essentially random routes), you can go rockclimbing in a few places with the Wrangler/Hummer/etc., or you can just drive aimlessly in your favorite cars while weaving through traffic. I've even painted a police Dodge Charger and gone chasing the AI wanderers trying to stop them, and I have a parking enforcement Fiesta for an amusing variation on the same thing. :lol: Photomode is addictive because of the extra possibilities and scenery.
    B. Same as FM4, the only multiplayer mode you could access would be Rivals. But it's still a great feature.
    C. It certainly won't appear anytime soon. If they go the same route as FM4, we still have seven DLC packs to go.
  5. You can't transfer cars yourself, you just get whatever the game gives you. FYI, Horizon does a similar thing if you've played FM4.
  6. From what I've read, cloud storage for your savegame + data is a bad idea.

Welcome to ForzaPlanet! :)

You've answered my questions and then a little extra, thank you! 👍

Good to hear that the car handling has been improved a lot. :D I guess I'll have to go through the track lists for both games and see what's missing, as well as the car list for good measure (I heard the Aveo was removed, I loved that little guy). It's a shame about the football, but maybe that will be the feature that gets me to subscribe to Live. :lol:

Horizon sounds like tons of fun. At least I've got time to enjoy FM4 fully before the DLC for Horizon stops.

I don't use cloud storage as it is, but I will definitely make sure to not use it with FM4 then.

Thanks all! :cheers:

Forza is a LOT more fun if you have live. The main focus of Forza was built around the onlin community. Without live I get bored of Forza quite fast. Same with any racing game. You really need live to truly appreciate and enjoy Forza.

Live vs. offline is the matter of opinion of the player. In my case, I'm a completionist. I'm after owning every car in game. I like to paint cars and put on new shoes to make the car look good. I have a silver account and play rivals which is fun for me. When I had gold or played on my brother's account, I didn't like racing online because of the other drivers who like to crash and bang into everything. A real turn off for me. I'm pretty content with my offline gameplay.

My $.02

Online is also cool with the market place. You are able buy paint jobs, decals, and tunes very easily for whatever car you are in. I love selling my tunes on there to, top 300 tuner, but not so highly rated in photography. I did what you do with GT5 with GT3 for years before Gt4 came out. Now i am burnt out and cant do that with any racing game for long. The rivals is a great treat every month. There are also amazingly clean fun races to be had in the custom user created areas. Had a lobby of mainly Japanese players this morning, they were top level and so clean, great fun!:cheers:

Some of the upper tier Career races are OK. But without Gold, FM4 loses a lot. The biggest and most mind boggling issue is that fully customizable AI races are an online feature. If that was brought to offline, it would be much better.

I never had Gold,except for the free month you get for purchasing an Xbox. I spent that month just buying vinyls from the storefront so I can use them offline. I've been playing Forza 4 for maybe about a year offline now,and i'm still not bored. It really is worth it to buy Forza 4,even if you don't have Gold!

Back