Is fully assisted driving different on PC vs Xbox?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
breeminator
breeminator
A weird one here. I was telling Jezza from the official Forza forum about my success at getting the reward cars for the open and featured tours AFK, and he felt from my description that my car is driving way better AFK than his car does. So I recorded a video of my PC version of the game doing the current BMW series AFK. For some reason, the frame rate is choppy, I don't know why, I ran the game at 60fps, captured at 60fps, but it's not smooth. Still, it's enough for you to see my settings, what I do to the build/tune (the car starts at level 1), and how it drives the races. It's all 100% AFK, I don't intervene at any point in any race. I don't use any rubber bands on the controller, it's all the in-game assists.

So, Jezza had a look, and tried it on his Xbox version with the exact same car, build and settings. For him, it crashed multiple times in one race, requiring manual intervention, and it did that even with no other cars near it.

I wondered if some people here would mind giving it a try to see if there's a pattern of the PC version successfully completing the races, but not the Xbox version?

Just after launch, I did a bit of supervised B-spec racing to level cars and to re-run championships to make up for the lost progress bug.

One of the early console updates patched B-spec auto-drive to make it worse and less suitable for fully afk sessions. They either raised the probability of AI driver mistakes or just coded specific points of tracks where they would go off every time. Before the update, they didn't go off at those sections. The old, initial self-driving seemed basically similar to the regular opponent AI, mostly sticking to the line and not great at passing with only rare mistakes.

From your description, it sounds like maybe they only patched the console version and didn't update the PC version to match. So, maybe PC still has the original semi-decent self-driving AI without the nerfed intentional mistakes and offs in the patched console version.

I enjoyed co-driving with an AI driver and watching the race in the background while doing something else. With the self-driving mode they had a good basis to build a true B-spec mode into the game. They would only need to add a strategy menu interface and the option to change camera views during the race. I would probably play that as much as first person driving.

I enjoyed co-driving with an AI driver and watching the race in the background while doing something else. With the self-driving mode they had a good basis to build a true B-spec mode into the game. They would only need to add a strategy menu interface and the option to change camera views during the race. I would probably play that as much as first person driving.
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching mine drive, that it could be made into a really good game mode. You still need to build and tune the car, and I was watching how it was driving to work out what build/tune changes would help it in the next race. You get a lot more chance to appreciate the game's graphics when you're not driving the car yourself.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching mine drive, that it could be made into a really good game mode. You still need to build and tune the car, and I was watching how it was driving to work out what build/tune changes would help it in the next race. You get a lot more chance to appreciate the game's graphics when you're not driving the car yourself.
This is a technique I`ve used since SportsCarGt; watch the AI`s drive and use them as testdrivers. While I can compensate the AI will show me if a setup needs to be balanced out, more or less.

A live spectator viewing mode would be a nice addition too. If they fully implement a B-spec mode, you could run AI championship seasons and also drive full-length endurance races with player/AI driver swaps.

Of course, Turn 10 already has a full plate with bug fixes and drip feeding all the new "from the ground up" content. It's probably more likely that PD eventually brings back a B-Spec mode to GT7 or GT8.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back