Is it just me? or I cant drift AWD cars

Canada
Winnipeg
SoloMidFnatic
I see this all the time.. "AWD is soo easy come on just rip the ebrake"
i started drifting with an FR car a low powered one lets just say a stock S13
and thru the months and months of practice i can drift high powered cars like a Supra with bout 700 horses easily. but then one night i got bored and i was like lets try to drift a 600 hp Lancer since i always see these guys drifting in Suzuka with these AWD cars.. so i did set up the car with 10/90 TQ split. and i cant let the car break traction with just Feinting..so i tried ebrake and i got it to slide. but the car straightens out.. its just too hard, countersteering too much will give you a snap oversteer to the other direction :ouch:

Ever heard about weight transfer? Or maybe you just lack the skills to drift, I'm saying that with the most upright respect.

There's more to drifting than just feint and ebrake. I almost never use the ebrake for normal runs, nor do I use feint on normal runs, for me it's all about weight transfer (going from one side to the other to get sideways).

I´d suggest you to stop to use drugs, but if you insist... dont forget to check your LSD settings too, diff 10/90 is not enough.

I'm vehemently opposed to 4WD drifting but it's been discussed to death. You really need to make your front differential as ineffective as possible, whatever that involves for whatever car you're using. I also notice the need to make concessions to slip as opposed to control when tuning my spring rates and toe angles in order to be able to weight transfer without yanking the e-brake constantly. I'm no voice of authority, that's simply been my experience.

Ever heard about weight transfer? Or maybe you just lack the skills to drift, I'm saying that with the most upright respect.

There's more to drifting than just feint and ebrake. I almost never use the ebrake for normal runs, nor do I use feint on normal runs, for me it's all about weight transfer (going from one side to the other to get sideways).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I lack the skills to drift and I readily admit it, but I don' feel I should be shamed publicly for it. :lol: And yes I know the comment was directed at me but it was still applicable.

Inertia Feint Drift (or “Scandinavian Flick”)

This is done by transferring the weight of car towards the outside of a turn by first turning away from the turn and then quickly turning back using the inertia of the rear of the car to swing into the desired drifting line. Sometimes the hand brake will be applied while transferring the weight of the car towards the outside to lock the rear wheels and help the rear swing outwards. This type of drifting causes the car to accelerate faster afterwards, because of momentum built up while drifting.

isn't that weight transfer? get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU MAKE FOOL OF YOURSELF :yuck:

Feinting is weight transfer you idiotic fool with outmost respect and pride coming from me

Why you guys are taking those things so seriously in a AWD thread?

At least if the car in discussion was a Key (compact) JDM with AWD or FF options only...

Inertia Feint Drift (or “Scandinavian Flick”)

This is done by transferring the weight of car towards the outside of a turn by first turning away from the turn and then quickly turning back using the inertia of the rear of the car to swing into the desired drifting line. Sometimes the hand brake will be applied while transferring the weight of the car towards the outside to lock the rear wheels and help the rear swing outwards. This type of drifting causes the car to accelerate faster afterwards, because of momentum built up while drifting.

isn't that weight transfer? get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU MAKE FOOL OF YOURSELF :yuck:

Feinting is weight transfer you idiotic fool with outmost respect and pride coming from me

Ok, my bad, when most people talk about feint drifting they're talking about using the throttle to start the drift. I'll give you that.....BUT IDIODIC FOOL, I don't think so.

If you're so educated, you would know that what you described and labeled is only feint drifting, not inertia, inertia drifting is using the brakes. So before you go around bashing people, even though I only said "you lacked the skills", which I based that on the fact that you said you couldn't get it to drift, you should re-read what you write and stop giving people the wrong impression.

In my books, if someone can't do something, it's because they lack the skill to do it! I gave you the respect, and you call me an "Idiotic Fool"? Buddy, you're the one who can't drift an AWD, lmfao, who's the fool?

Last edited:
Which lancer? The evo x has tons of traction even after the faulty diff patch of yesteryear.

Try switching out tires. Use grippier tires front than rear. On my GVB i run CM front and CH rear. The rear end slides out a bit easier. A very stiff suspension with softer rear setup may work too

Bluntified
inertia drifting is using the brakes.

This is incorrect...

Because braking causes a weight shift to the front tires does not define it as an "inertia" drift. Trail braking to move weight forward in an effort to unload the rear suspension should be considered a braking drift.

Deceleration by lifting off throttle (engine braking) has the same effect of shifting weight forward. Its more typical to consider weight shift via throttle manipulation and steering work to be an "inertia" drift.

Last edited:
Snapback in a 4wd car is a lot more prominent than a fr car even with a diff at 5:5:5 on front and 10:90 power distribution. 600 hp shared between 10 is 60. So 540 hp goes to the rear and 60 hp is still going to the front wheels. And that is quite a lot when you think. The 60 hp still left at the front is always going to be pulling the car out of drift. This is most prominent with the Bugatti where even with the 10:90 power distribution there is 100 odd horses still at the front wheel. This is why very little counter steer is necessary when 4wd drifting which is why many people dislike and oppose 4wd drifting.

MaliciousMD
This is incorrect...

Because braking causes a weight shift to the front tires does not define it as an "inertia" drift. Trail braking to move weight forward in an effort to unload the rear suspension should be considered a braking drift.

Deceleration by lifting off throttle (engine braking) has the same effect of shifting weight forward. Its more typical to consider weight shift via throttle manipulation and steering work to be an "inertia" drift.

Hence, inertia. Inertia is a circular movement, not side to side. You hard brake, swing side, then to the other side, transferring the weight all throughout the car. I did my research this time. Ill post a valid link.

http://www.driftlock.co.uk/drift-techniques.php

*couldn't post the link on my phone.

Bluntified
Hence, inertia. Inertia is a circular movement, not side to side. You hard brake, swing side, then to the other side, transferring the weight all throughout the car. I did my research this time.

Incorrect again...

Your post also contradicts itself. If inertia was a circular motion (which it is not exclusively), how is your interpretation a circular motion? Accelerate (rearward force), brake hard (forward force), turn one way (left/right force), turn the other way (right/left force).

Inertia by definition refers to a physical objects (mass = car) resistance (ficticious force = friction) to change in motion or rest. Maybe you've heard "a body in motion tends to stay in motion." Basic Newton's Laws of Motion, freshen up on it.

(F = m a), ficticious forces, anyone? Am I the only one who listened during Physics? Am I the only one forced to use physics formulas on a frequent basis? FML...

In essence any drift can be considered an "inertia" drift. Then again by definition driving straight is a change in inertia. Where you get inertia being exclusively a circular motion, I don't know.

Too much Initial D perhaps. Cause you know if you spill the water you're screwed! It's gotta swirl in the cup in a circular inertia motion. LOL!

Bluntified

This goes back to my original statement about what is most commonly referenced as an "inertia" drift. Click the Drift Bible video link at the bottom of your link and observe the "Accel Off" technique...

Last edited:
DoriftoDoriDori, try to forget some of the control, balance, and precision you learnt with FR drifting and drive a 4WD into a corner with your best jeremy clarkson "POWERRRR!!!" impersonation.

All four wheels now need to lose grip, so try to be more aggressive with things like feinting. Your car's pretty much oversteering and understeering at the same time - the rear will want to spin out and the front wants to pull the car straight. So the power/acceleration to the front wheels plays a role in countersteering, and you usually only need to make small turns to the steering wheel to help adjust the drift angle.

Watch how there's little to no turning/steering with the front wheels in these videos

Last edited:
Incorrect again...

DIn essence any drift can be considered an "inertia" drift. Then again by definition driving straight is a change in inertia. Where you get inertia being exclusively a circular motion, I don't know.

Too much Initial D perhaps. Cause you know if you spill the water you're screwed! It's gotta swirl in the cup in a circular inertia motion. LOL!

I got it from skydiving, I skydive on a regular basis and "Inertia" gets thrown around a lot in the lessons. When we fist jumped out, we would start on our backs and use inertia to get onto our stomachs (and vise versa after a few jumps). That give me reason to believe it was circular, that's what they said!

For the other part, Sorry, I don't watch Initial D so I can't reference.

DoriftoDoriDori, try to forget some of the control, balance, and precision you learnt with FR drifting and drive a 4WD into a corner with your best jeremy clarkson "POWERRRR!!!" impersonation.

All four wheels now need to lose grip, so try to be more aggressive with things like feinting. Your car's pretty much oversteering and understeering at the same time - the rear will want to spin out and the front wants to pull the car straight. So the power/acceleration to the front wheels plays a role in countersteering, and you usually only need to make small turns to the steering wheel to help adjust the drift angle.

Watch how there's little to no turning/steering with the front wheels in these videos

It's effectively a non-stop reverse entry; the front and rear tires are holding the car straight. It's more of a gymkhana technique than a drift technique. I just doubt that the two cars in those videos would be able to make Ebisu. The inertia is carrying the chassis of the car backwards, and the car barely gets enough grip to pull it forward. Rally drivers and gymkhana drivers use this technique to negotiate corners quicker. However, drifters never really go faster than their grip-driving counterparts.

The inertia carries the car to the outside of the track. Then the four wheels are all acting against the inertia, to keep the balance between front/rear. Therefore, the steering wheel will cause a loss of traction and a crash, while the pedals will control the drift best. It completely throws most or all traditional drifting techniques out of the window.

Drifting in AWD is a bit different. You have to be very delicate when you countersteer because the car snap back a lot easier since the front is also being pull forward. I love the Evo IX so I keep trying to drift with it. I wish GT5 has the option to swap out the drivetrain completely.

must-resist.jpg

The Tommy Kaira ZZ 2 is probably the easiest AWD i have setup for drift. NO LSD OR TSC and it performs like a FR. Its super lite weight makes it easier to swing the car on its axis.

Just a Car choice tip.

@ OP

I will literally GIVE you my tune for the Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91
It drives like a 350hp Rwd car (that feels like it has a tiny bit too much front grip)
This is maxed with Mid-Range Turbo btw.
Power 397 (more after break in) Weight 1119
Tires: CH/CH
Transmission: Everyone likes this different
Torque Split: 10/90
LSD: Front 5/5/5 Rear 60/60/35
Ride Height -25/-20
Springs: 3.0/3.0
Dampers Ext: 2/2
Dampers Comp: 10/10
Anti-Roll Bars: 1/1
Camber: 2.2/1.0
Toe: 0/0
Brakes 5/0

Yes it's a soft setup but it works well. Now go drift that thing sideways.

P.S. Be careful when you counter steer. It doesn't take as much to make it straighten back out.
Also you can mash the throttle more than normal with this setup.

Back