Is it Ok to be "underdog" in single races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jdmyo93
  • 16 comments
  • 1,458 views
Messages
240
Ok not sure if you guys get the title but here was a debate with me and a friend of mine. He usually likes to finish single races done quickly and I mean quickly. I do too but I get so bored having to win races to EASY. So what I do is get a underclass against the typical opponents in certain races. Yeah it does take forever to win but with intensity and a bit of frustration is what makes GT5 single player fun right??

Sorry if stupid question is stupid :nervous:
 
I get where you are coming from. Being the underdog is fun. It depends what mood I'm in (sometimes I love taking a stupidly overpowered car into a race just for giggles) but I get great satisfaction from winning in a "clunker".
 
There is a part of me that likes to win so I will often make sure I win but part of that for me is just getting to a level where I have most things unlocked.

I already know that there are races I will go back to later now that I have the gold and compete with lesser equipment to enjoy it now that it doesn't matter.

Then again I'm not that good at the game so I need all the help I can get
 
Being the "underdog" is what A-Spec points where all about when they were introduced way back when.

In GT4, there were a lot of us looking for the highest A-Spec haul we could get in a car that still had a chance of winning.

It's not always possible to win in the worst car in a given field, given the wide stretch of some of the fields in the races, but sometimes, you can get away with it, especially on the twistier tracks.
 
Thanks all I feel much better 👍

Especially niky, salamat :)
 
I really miss A-spec points.....
 
It's perfectly fine. B-Spec gets the overpowered cars, though, or I would go insane. Insane. INSANE. A-Spec and online, however, I sometimes lean towards cars that make you 'earn it'. For every Viper, S2000, and NSX I have in my Favorites, there's also an Odyssey, xB, and Element.
 
Depeneds on my mood, definatly.

In the SuperGT championship, for instance, rather then grab one of the JGTC cars I took in a RM'd Acura NSX. Holding off 50+ horspower advantages with equal handling on Suzuka/Fuji was awesomely intense. Lots of blocking, lots of last minute position clinching, but definatly what racing is all about. That being said, I also frequently farm indy with my 905 hp Corvette ZR1 RM, so meh. To each their own, but it's an opinion thing.
 
I don't really use lesser cars on A-Spec races however I do enjoy it Online, where the opponents actually rage if I beat them in a completely inferior car.

AI Bob: "Oh, I lost to an MX-5 while driving my Mazda 787B... I must get me one of those..."
 
I was embarrassed after I took the Mazda Furai into the GT World Championship and proceeded to perform my best GT2 Escudo impression.

Now, blocking the Enzo and getting spun just crossing the finish line in the Ferrari event; constantly checking my mirror to see where the vacuum cleaner and the Toyota 7 were; fighting for the win in my stock comfort tire Vitz in the Vitz race...those are the best moments of the game! Those may not be necessarily underdog cars to some of the crowd here but they made a pretty entertaining race for me!

Not to say I haven't taken the overpowered Veyron to the Supercar Festival at Daytona just for the fun of it or done the occasional "I have nothing else to match up with this event so I'll destroy it now and come back later" event.
 
I just try to be competitive with the opponents. If that means being the underdog, then so be it. But I would rather try alternative ways of limiting my car/means of being fast. So for the GT World championship, where most of the cars a SuperGT, I used a Lexus SC430 SuperGT car, ran default Hard tires, no aids, no abs, in car view and no HUD. Was one exciting set of races!

For the German League 2 (extreme series, sorry I can't remember the exact name), I ran with a BMW Z4 M Coupe '08 default settings. It was ~200hp down, but 300kg's lighter than the opponents. No aids, No ABS again, with HUD this time as I used Bumper View (what I normally use) Both tracks were a lot of fun and really challenging to win. Took me a few tries on Cape Ring and Nurburgring to win but every race had exciting moments and were thoroughly enjoyable.

I don't hit the opponents cars, if I do hit them, I drop back and try again after the next corner, or if I pass them uncleanly then I will let them re pass. There are times where they hit will hit you and you can't help that, but I treat them like I would any player online, race hard but fair and I feel you get so much more out of the single player game.

It doesn't matter if you don't win, you get money and experience regardless of position, so I rarely restart a race.
 
I mostly try to use equal or lower cars. Running 5 'test' laps half a lap in front is no fun to me. So I usually handicap the car to the lowest hp according to the 'typical opponents' and sometimes much lower and work from there. The best races are when you get the balance just right and you only get the lead in the last half a lap, or when your constantly swapping places and defending the line for the win. The only time I blow them out of the water on purpose is when I don't have a suitable car or I'm raising money.
Even with Bob I do this, although its a LOT harder as he just doesnt like to overtake sometimes, even if in a clearly superior car.
 
Hey guys!

In my first post on this forum id like to give out a little challenge that relates to the subject:

I just took the Tommy Karira ZZ-1 '00 to the MR event on Expert A-spec and had a formidable championship.

First I tuned it almost max (I only did not buy the most expensive transmission, suspension, and some weight reduction) and put on Med Racing tires.

Basically, they crushed my on all straights (especially the long straits), but I caught up a lot in the turns (obviously a lot due to the great tires)

HS Ring and C de la Sarthe are pretty damn difficult to win.

If you like being the underdog I would really suggest you try this!
 
I go on a semi-underdog mode in recent races I've been running. I tune the car so it gets to the average horsepower from the typical opponents list. Sometimes I just buy weight reductions lvl 1, ECU and tyres, then go straight to the race.

I've race the Japanese GT races today and those are a lot fun to race on a none tuned tuned race car. heeheh I've raced with my Nismo Xanavi GTR, everything is the same except for the tires, I didnt add mods into it that will make it too powerful. Those were the best races I've driven on. Each race has 10 laps, you really have to have your focus full on the whole time.

I also raced on my first track where it is raining with that car. Awesome.
 
I was embarrassed after I took the Mazda Furai into the GT World Championship and proceeded to perform my best GT2 Escudo impression.

Now, blocking the Enzo and getting spun just crossing the finish line in the Ferrari event; constantly checking my mirror to see where the vacuum cleaner and the Toyota 7 were; fighting for the win in my stock comfort tire Vitz in the Vitz race...those are the best moments of the game! Those may not be necessarily underdog cars to some of the crowd here but they made a pretty entertaining race for me!

Not to say I haven't taken the overpowered Veyron to the Supercar Festival at Daytona just for the fun of it or done the occasional "I have nothing else to match up with this event so I'll destroy it now and come back later" event.

Thats basically how I play, sometimes I just don't have or feel like spending the money on something to just beat 1 event so I use what I got, kill the event, and come back later when I do.
 
I sometimes played around with weird cars on GT5P online... Mazda6 was a favorite for irritating Integra weenies... Although my favorite accomplishment was tuning an Integra for Daytona Road 550pp.

Interesting, because an Integra topped out at around 470pp. I would kill newbies, but unless I could get a good draft down the main straight, most competent racers would leave me for dead.

Currently trying Supercar festival with a 400 hp Focus RS. High Speed ring is easy. Same tires as opponents, power mods and tranny only. Could only get second on Daytona with Sports Hard and a tranny. Nurb GP looks impossible, so far...
 
Back