Is it time for a new wheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jujubean
  • 8 comments
  • 713 views
Messages
498
Messages
Jujubean14
I have been using a Driving Force EX

It looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A2BCOQ/?tag=gtplanet-20

I got it at first because I thought a wheel would be cool, and it was relatively inexpensive compared to the DFGT or Fanatec wheels. Lately though I have been having a lot of trouble driving in a straight line. It feels like I am weaving back and forth- and I can never really get things under control, but going around corners isn't bad. At first I thought it was just that I had tuned my cars in some funky way that made them unstable in a straight line, but now all my cars are seeming unable to drive in a straight line with out getting twitchy.

I was trying to figure out some sort of test where someone else with a wheel could drive one of my cars, or we both drive the same one or something, and see if they have trouble on their wheel, or maybe I should compare things to the ole DS3.

What do you guys think? Maybe my wheel is worn out, maybe my tunings suck, or maybe I am crazy?
 
Maybe its your force feedback? You may want to set it low at first and eventually set it up higher as time progresses. Or maybe your camber settings on the car you drive set to high?

I maybe wrong.
 
Maybe its your force feedback? You may want to set it low at first and eventually set it up higher as time progresses. Or maybe your camber settings on the car you drive set to high?

I maybe wrong.


Yeah, I thought it might be camber because the problem seems to have come about just as I started fiddling a lot with suspension settings, but the problem doesn't really go away when I revert to defaults. It is definitely not as bad, but I don't remember the cars behaving like this before.

As for FFB settings, I haven't changed them since I first got GT5 (at release). This problem however only seems to have arisen within the last week.

What I need is a friend who as a different (better) wheel that I could try in person to see if it is the same.
 
I'd be glad to try your cars out but a friend of mine is borrowing my Fanatec 911 Carrera wheel for the time being.
 
Well I just did the DS3 test, and the results are pretty conclusive. I actually tried a comparison on Eiger short track first, and managed to get a lower time using the wheel, but it was a real workout trying to keep my Ruf RGT on the road. Next I headed to Indy, and then I couldn't even make it around the track using the wheel, so obviously the DS3 wins. So I then had a tie ball game, so I headed to the new online events. I stayed in my tuned RGT, and went to La Sarthe. Using the wheel I managed a staggering 5:37.--- I am no Michael Schumacher, but even I expected to do better than that. I traded off to the DS3 though, and pulled a 4:40---, thus securing a gold medal and several new racing suits (hooray).
The fact that I haven't used a controller to play a GT game since GT3, and managed to do that much better (not running the risk of spinning out on... the Mulsanne straight) settles the matter in my mind.

The only question remaining is what wheel to get next. I was thinking about the 911 Carrera as well, as I like the idea of a clutch and H shifter, but I saw a guy was selling a barely used DFGT on craigslist near me for $80 o.b.o. and that changed my mind.

I wonder how long I have been trying to tune the instability out of my cars, when it was really just my wheel...
 
The Driving Force GT is a great wheel for the price.
 
Your wheel appears to have gone pear-shaped. (I assume it was ok at first?) I had a DF Pro that went tits up & Logitech replaced it free of charge. (Not even mailing costs) They were great!
 
Yeah probably might consider getting a new wheel. Since the Driving Force EX is outdated compared to these high end wheels of today, definetely a huge disadvantage when it comes to FFB.

911 Carrera Wheel is really worth for its price :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwGMCflpVs
 
I got the DFGT a few days ago, and WOW.
Much different from my old EX. I definitely like it, but the force feedback is definitely more intense. I now have to consider an uprade from the little table I had it clamped to, because it just gets rocked around so much with the DFGT. I am trying to use the stickshift instead of the paddles, so that is something else to get used to.
I have been having a time getting used to having 900 degrees too. All in all though, I am very pleased with my purchase, and at $70, what a deal!
 
Back