Is license 1B-1 impossible?

• Thread starter JCARROLL
  • 20 comments
Ireland
Ireland
JCARROLL
I've gone back to try and gold all the licenses and have done all ib, ia and s except for the first IB braking in a straight line one. They seem to have updated it so you can't use ABS. My GT-R is taking off at around 6000rpm and stopping just inside the blue box but my time is still about 0.7 seconds too slow. Anyone else managed to do this test?

The whole car doesn't need to be in the box. If I recall, about half the car should do.

Watch the ghost and try slowing up a bit earlier each time 👍

When I say just inside the box I mean just past the near side of the box. The whole car definitely needs to be in it though. It's obviously doable though, just that I'm pulling my hair out doing it.

Watch the example video and just only take notice of what speed they brake at, then just keep doing the same and after a few more try's you should do it as long as you brake at the same speed ;)

It doesn't work 1st try because the starts could be slightly out but it shouldn't take long to get it right.

I have 60 golds with a DS3 and auto transmission so it's not impossible.

Last edited:
Amalgamate the above two posts and you have the technique to a tee - floor the accelerator for take off (sometimes you'll get a duff start but mostly ok), watch nothing but the speed and tinker with when the brakes are applied - also use the handbrake when the car is nearly at a stop, seems to shave a touch of time off. Prob take about 6 or 7 attempts. Good luck!

I went and re-attempted IB-1 today driving Auto shift with the Dualshock, was tricky at first but manage to Gold it eventually again.

Cannot recall whether ABS was On in my previous attempt at beginning of the year, but this round the drive does not feel familiar at all. Or just me getting old...

The Trick is [spolier alert. SELECT the text below to reveal it] :

>>The braking level. Don't give it the beans! Be gentle and brake without locking the tyres. If you hear screeching, it's too late. PD took away ABS to make us brake like we ARE the ABS... <<

GT5_IB-1_BrakeLevel.jpg

Last edited:
None of the test's are impossible but there are some of them that are extremely annoying. With the stopping test's I used the hand brake to turn the car sideways as it enters the box. After many attempts trying to stop straight I got gold the first time using the hand brake.Keep trying it's just a matter of time

Thanks for the tips guys. With a combination of a perfect launch, braking at about 60 per cent and using the hand brake to get from 20-0, I managed to get exactly 14.900.

Thanks for the tips guys. With a combination of a perfect launch, braking at about 60 per cent and using the hand brake to get from 20-0, I managed to get exactly 14.900.

Feels good when you finally get it doesn't it, B5, took me about 200 goes, i was 3 thousands away, then cleared it by 4 tenths.

it is possible. I adjusted my brake balance to 1 and 1 (front/rear) and used about 95% braking with feathering the handbrake just to the point where it wanted to lock up. Managed a 14.850 after about a million tries. Before an early patch, this was much, much easier. This was my last license test to gold, and I waited till now to do it and wow it was tough.

this one is tough. i remember it well.

tip 1- dont drive on the lane markers. (seems the track is wettest there)

drive on the side, 2 or 3 feet to the left or right of the markers.

2-use auto tranny

3-keep your eye on the time. get a feel for where your braking point is. (using markers on the road are a bit dodgy here

4-you can adjust brake balance by using the RA functions while driving. GT-r i would use 2-1 or 1-0

5- Cant remember right but i think you can cheat by turning abs on using RA

6-brake at 60 to 80%.

I smashed the gold medal time for this test. What I did was brake very hard with the pedal and e-brake and slid the car sideways to slow it down even better. What it accomplished was I could brake later and save valuable tenths of seconds. It did take a bit of tecnique though but you have to find the ideal braking point.

If someone else is struggling with this I have a little tip....

Might be a bit cheaty but if you go all the way to the right on the runway you can steer into the invisible wall while braking to get a lot more braking power.

If someone else is struggling with this I have a little tip....

Might be a bit cheaty but if you go all the way to the right on the runway you can steer into the invisible wall while braking to get a lot more braking power.

Sorry for digging this almost 9 year old post.
I Will try this method because I'm stuck on this license test ib-1. thanks for suggestion! :)

Latest Posts

Back