Is Monte Carlo for DiRT Rally 2.0 More Than a Reskin?

I was amazed as well when I encountered the icy bits. Love the change in the feeling in the wheel. Makes you wonder if they really need to change the FFB.

I found the FFB to be better in Monte Carlo than the rest of the locations in the game. You can feel the change in the tire grip through the steering wheel, as the car went over ice/snow/tarmac. I don’t find the change in grip as pronounced in the rest of the locations. It’s there, it just doesn’t feel as nice as Monte Carlo IMO.

When the ffb is fixed i will play dirt rally 2.0. Codemasters have put alot of effort into the title. The ffb issue isnt their fault as theres to many wheels on the market but at least they got support for the tgt :) just a shame they locked sensitivity setting on it but cant moan as they have support for it :) also anyone got any advice on how to handle the porsche? I dont have experience in rear engined rally cars. I prefer engines in the front and 4wd

When the ffb is fixed i will play dirt rally 2.0. Codemasters have put alot of effort into the title. The ffb issue isnt their fault as theres to many wheels on the market but at least they got support for the tgt :) just a shame they locked sensitivity setting on it but cant moan as they have support for it :) also anyone got any advice on how to handle the porsche? I dont have experience in rear engined rally cars. I prefer engines in the front and 4wd

T-GT support? I mean, it actually has support for the transducer? Or is it just emulating a T500 without separate feedback for the transducer?

Last edited:
T-GT support? I mean, it actually has support for the dransducer? Or is it just emulating a T500 without separate feedback for the transducer?

As far as I know it's the latter — PD won't allow any other developer access to the transducer.

I'd test it myself but DR2 is on my XB1.

Best location in the game which Is obviousc consideringthe way better locations selected for dirt1. Pity they spent time on boring USA and new Zealand instead of giving us finland and wales right away.

T-GT support? I mean, it actually has support for the transducer? Or is it just emulating a T500 without separate feedback for the transducer?

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/dirt-rally-2-0-supported-peripherals-list/

Type in on google dirt rally 2.0 compatable wheels. On ps4 list it states t300 t500 and tgt. The tgt also registers but the sensitivity setting is locked to 50. It functions perfect on pc as well. It may just show as a t500rs. All i know is it functions on dirt rally 2.0. Maybe they have listed all wheels and programmed others to register as another wheel to let people see what they can use?

Best location in the game which Is obviousc consideringthe way better locations selected for dirt1. Pity they spent time on boring USA and new Zealand instead of giving us finland and wales right away.
Well DR2 has certainly been the first rally game where New Zealand becomes true boredom after the first 5 minutes, which is quite an achivement given NZ was always a favourite in most rally games from the past as well as one of the most beautiful, like Australia too , which is also quite a tiresome one in this game.

There's also the insane fov applied to this game even on bumper camera+0 fov setting, which kinda changes my perspective of this locations in a way even I don't understand at all.

The fact I can't play these rally games on chase camera on very narrow fov and close up to the car since the days of the ps2 is just that souring at this point. Jesus these games look terrible on chase camera; everything so wide wtf how can some people really play with them let alone properly calculate those distances and apexes when taking corners. It's difficult even driving in a straight line.

I was amazed as well when I encountered the icy bits. Love the change in the feeling in the wheel. Makes you wonder if they really need to change the FFB.
Yes they still need to.

FFB is (very roughly) split into two areas.

Self aligning torque and surface detail. The former of these is not a problem at all on DR 2.0, never has been, the sensation of grip being gained and being lost is fine, has been since day one.

The issue is the almost complete lack of any surface details being transmitted via the wheels FFB, well up until you hit a cattle grid and it wants to then break the wheel.

That the SAT is good doesn't change the fact that the surface detail FFB most certainly isn't, or that changing values for the surface detail settings does nothing but increase the wheel weight (on a T300 on PS4).

Well DR2 has certainly been the first rally game where New Zealand becomes true boredom after the first 5 minutes, which is quite an achivement given NZ was always a favourite in most rally games from the past as well as one of the most beautiful, like Australia too , which is also quite a tiresome one in this game.

There's also the insane fov applied to this game even on bumper camera+0 fov setting, which kinda changes my perspective of this locations in a way even I don't understand at all.

The fact I can't play these rally games on chase camera on very narrow fov and close up to the car since the days of the ps2 is just that souring at this point. Jesus these games look terrible on chase camera; everything so wide wtf how can some people really play with them let alone properly calculate those distances and apexes when taking corners. It's difficult even driving in a straight line.

Its a sim rally game. Cockpit view is better. Any racing game should focus on cockpit view anyway. Rally games are much better in cockpit view. I wouldnt use any other view

Its a sim rally game. Cockpit view is better. Any racing game should focus on cockpit view anyway. Rally games are much better in cockpit view
There was a time I used to think likewise

In the case of Dirt Rally games I play them on bumper cam with 0-2 fov setting (zero in DR2, and still too wide), but only because of fast time purposes. The way I always liked to play rally games was on chase view, but when chase view was good I mean, and we don't see that in a rally game since the days of the ps2, with Driveclub being the one and only honourable exception in modern days.

And in racing simulators, I mean the true sims not a game like this which imo might be too controversial labelling it as a sim, I always perform my fastest laps on bonnet camera, never cockpit. I have some serious record laps on bumper cam too in this games, and very few on cockpit.

Last edited:
Its a sim rally game. Cockpit view is better. Any racing game should focus on cockpit view anyway. Rally games are much better in cockpit view. I wouldnt use any other view
Its a sim game, VR is better.

That aside, whatever view works for people is the 'best one' for that person; as unless you have the ability to see exactly what the driver would see and look all the way around you then every view (including cockpit) is compromised.

That you use cockpit simply means that its the best view for you, not the best view for everyone.

It's not just wheels, the FFB is hopeless on DS4 too. To be honest, the only time when its a real issue is at Spain where the roads are smooth and there is
Yes they still need to.

FFB is (very roughly) split into two areas.

Self aligning torque and surface detail. The former of these is not a problem at all on DR 2.0, never has been, the sensation of grip being gained and being lost is fine, has been since day one.

The issue is the almost complete lack of any surface details being transmitted via the wheels FFB, well up until you hit a cattle grid and it wants to then break the wheel.

That the SAT is good doesn't change the fact that the surface detail FFB most certainly isn't, or that changing values for the surface detail settings does nothing but increase the wheel weight (on a T300 on PS4).

FFB is also an issue on DS4 (not just wheel). Generally speaking, the levels are just far too low. It's not as big an issue on gravel stages where there is a lot of feedback from the suspension, but there is virtually no feedback at all on smooth stages (i.e. Spain).

No, they don't need to change the FFB, as according to codemasters there are a large number of people who are entirely satisfied with it, and if you are then great.

However I'm not, and I won't be downloading DR2 again until there is progress on the FFB. I simply don't have the time to waste on a driving sim that I don't find immersive and enjoyable.

Its a sim game, VR is better.

That aside, whatever view works for people is the 'best one' for that person; as unless you have the ability to see exactly what the driver would see and look all the way around you then every view (including cockpit) is compromised.

That you use cockpit simply means that its the best view for you, not the best view for everyone.[/QU
There was a time I used to think likewise

In the case of Dirt Rally games I play them on bumper cam with 0-2 fov setting (zero in DR2, and still too wide), but only because of fast time purposes. The way I always liked to play rally games was on chase view, but when chase view was good I mean, and we don't see that in a rally game since the days of the ps2, with Driveclub being the one and only honourable exception in modern days.

And in racing simulators, I mean the true sims not a game like this which imo might be too controversial labelling it as a sim, I always perform my fastest laps on bonnet camera, never cockpit. I have some serious record laps on bumper cam too in this games, and very few on cockpit.

Good point to make. I only play racing games so owning a wheel is cost effective for myself. People who play different game genres probably use controllers. Buying a wheel for just one game wouldnt be that beneficial. Controllers should always be fully supported. Best way would be to adapt the way project cars 2 let controller players set the controller settings manually.

I do have dirt rally 2.0 but waiting for the ffb to be fixed. Dirt rally 2.0 is also one game that will support the psn name change. Eagerly awaiting wrc 8 later on this year, wrc games are just as good but cover real stages. Maybe codemasters and kyltonn studios could team up and put both games in one. Cheaper and updated once a year via season passes.

I do find this game immersive, but not enjoyable at all. I think the culprit lies in its dirt4 dna

Dirt and Dirt Rally and Project Cars sim racing games were the only choice we had when the ps4 first came out. They set a benchmark for next generation sim racing. I will always like them games as they were there when gran turismo sport wasnt. There are still thousands of players in project cars 2 career mode, dirt4 today still offers a great career mode. Dirt rally will always be around, its got heritage, project cars set a landmark in sim racing. Still the best sellers like Toca and Gran Turismo were either not around or late. When main named games are late to the scene they loose out. Dirt rally games were there from day one and i personally think dirt4 is still the best rally sim experience

Dirt and Dirt Rally and Project Cars sim racing games were the only choice we had when the ps4 first came out. They set a benchmark for next generation sim racing. I will always like them games as they were there when gran turismo sport wasnt. There are still thousands of players in project cars 2 career mode, dirt4 today still offers a great career mode. Dirt rally will always be around, its got heritage, project cars set a landmark in sim racing. Still the best sellers like Toca and Gran Turismo were either not around or late. When main named games are late to the scene they loose out. Dirt rally games were there from day one and i personally think dirt4 is still the best rally sim experience
What on earth are you on about.

PS4 launch: Nov 2013
Dirt Rally: Dec 2015 (two years later)
Dirt 4: June 2017 (3.5 years later)
Project Cars: May 2015 (1.5 years later)

None of them were around from 'day 1', yes they came out before GTS (Dirt 4 was only three months before), but they were certainly not around from day 1, and we haven't had a TOCA title since the PS3 (and that's stretching it - as the last TOCA named title was on the PS2).

Oh and Dirt 4 is a long way from being the "best rally sim experience", both the Dirt Rally titles beat it out on that, SLRE walks all over it and even WRC7 is a better sim.

What on earth are you on about.

PS4 launch: Nov 2013
Dirt Rally: Dec 2015 (two years later)
Dirt 4: June 2017 (3.5 years later)
Project Cars: May 2015 (1.5 years later)

None of them were around from 'day 1', yes they came out before GTS (Dirt 4 was only three months before), but they were certainly not around from day 1, and we haven't had a TOCA title since the PS3 (and that's stretching it - as the last TOCA named title was on the PS2).

Oh and Dirt 4 is a long way from being the "best rally sim experience", both the Dirt Rally titles beat it out on that, SLRE walks all over it and even WRC7 is a better sim.
If I'm not mistaken Dirt 4 has been called by it's community to have an inferior physics compared to Dirt Rally (for sim physics) and Dirt 3 (for arcade physics) It's that true though?

If I'm not mistaken Dirt 4 has been called by it's community to have an inferior physics compared to Dirt Rally (for sim physics) and Dirt 3 (for arcade physics) It's that true though?
To the best of my knowledge that would be an accurate summary of the views.

Back