Is my equipment capable of running this?

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 8 comments
England
England
adstomko
Hi guys,
I'm hoping to switch to iRacing one day, and just try it out for now with a 1 month subscription. First of all, I'm wondering whether my equipment is capable of playing iRacing, particularly with a solid frame rate:
I have the MacBook Pro Retina ('14), with the Intel Iris 6100 graphics card.
I also have a Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel, not sure if this works with OS?
I used to play GT a lot but I prefer something multiplayer-based and competitive. I am fairly bored of my PS4 too, there are few games that I am satisfied with, and as a result, I'm contemplating on selling it to pay for iRacing, but that isn't a definite.
So, is it possible for me to play iRacing, and will my MacBook be ok running it? I don't want to exhaust it as I also use the laptop for studying, which is its main purpose for myself

Hi guys,
I'm hoping to switch to iRacing one day, and just try it out for now with a 1 month subscription. First of all, I'm wondering whether my equipment is capable of playing iRacing, particularly with a solid frame rate:
I have the MacBook Pro Retina ('14), with the Intel Iris 6100 graphics card.
I also have a Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel, not sure if this works with OS?
I used to play GT a lot but I prefer something multiplayer-based and competitive. I am fairly bored of my PS4 too, there are few games that I am satisfied with, and as a result, I'm contemplating on selling it to pay for iRacing, but that isn't a definite.
So, is it possible for me to play iRacing, and will my MacBook be ok running it? I don't want to exhaust it as I also use the laptop for studying, which is its main purpose for myself

When I started on iRacing, I ran the sim on my MacBook Pro 2010 13", and it was good enough for basic racing. I got a constant 40-50 fps with mid-low settings on a 1920x1200 monitor. So the Iris 6100 should definitely do the job. But you should run it on BootCamp/Windows, the iRacing for Mac performance is absolutely awful since it's just a wine-wrapper and you get way better driver/tools support on Windows.

When I started on iRacing, I ran the sim on my MacBook Pro 2010 13", and it was good enough for basic racing. I got a constant 40-50 fps with mid-low settings on a 1920x1200 monitor. So the Iris 6100 should definitely do the job. But you should run it on BootCamp/Windows, the iRacing for Mac performance is absolutely awful since it's just a wine-wrapper and you get way better driver/tools support on Windows.

Thanks for the advice Markus. I was thinking of swapping my PS4 for a Gaming PC specifically designed for iRacing rather than use mu laptop. Not sure if that is a wise move. Also, i have little knowledge about PCs, so can I run bootcamp and OS X, or just one for all uses on my laptop?

Thanks for the advice Markus. I was thinking of swapping my PS4 for a Gaming PC specifically designed for iRacing rather than use mu laptop. Not sure if that is a wise move. Also, i have little knowledge about PCs, so can I run bootcamp and OS X, or just one for all uses on my laptop?
You can use both, just not at the same time (unlike e.g. Parallels Desktop). When booting up, you can choose between Windows and OS X.

I built a seperate PC for my simrig and I'd say it was worth it, but it was like 3 times the PS4's price.. Maybe a little overpowered for iRacing, but I also plan to use it for other games like Project CARS or GTA V when it comes out some time in this century... So it also replaces a PS4 for me.

You can use both, just not at the same time (unlike e.g. Parallels Desktop). When booting up, you can choose between Windows and OS X.

I built a seperate PC for my simrig and I'd say it was worth it, but it was like 3 times the PS4's price.. Maybe a little overpowered for iRacing, but I also plan to use it for other games like Project CARS or GTA V when it comes out some time in this century... So it also replaces a PS4 for me.

If I could build a PC, I would, perhaps I should learn how to. But basically, the main reason why I want iRacing is for its competitive online racing, because it seems nothing else can come close to it. rFactor, PCARS, and AC probably have brilliant accuracy when it comes to sim racing, but my concern is online racing, and I think that's where this field lacks.

If I can find a PC that is under £500, preferably as cheap as possible, that'll just run iRacing perfectly, I'm more than happy. I think I've 'grown out' of video games, it's time for something serious :)

If I could build a PC, I would, perhaps I should learn how to. But basically, the main reason why I want iRacing is for its competitive online racing, because it seems nothing else can come close to it. rFactor, PCARS, and AC probably have brilliant accuracy when it comes to sim racing, but my concern is online racing, and I think that's where this field lacks.

If I can find a PC that is under £500, preferably as cheap as possible, that'll just run iRacing perfectly, I'm more than happy. I think I've 'grown out' of video games, it's time for something serious :)
A PC that runs iRacing quite well for less than 500£ should be doable. It's not overly demanding when running mid graphics settings. Maybe one of those AMDs with the Integrated graphics does the job, they even run games like DiRT Showdown in 720p on decent settings.
Building a pc yourself isn't that hard and can save quite some money sometimes.

Just to add that the DFGT is a fine wheel to start with, the actual wheel is very good, and several of the top guys on iRacing still use one. The pedals however leave a lot to be desired, but they are still a better starting point than using a controller.

Thanks for your responses guys, I am going to try it out some time with my Macbook, just a one-month subscription.

Back