Is my G27 faulty, or just normal proglem with GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jcrew007
  • 11 comments
  • 2,246 views
Messages
2
I just got the G27 yesterday and have been trying it out with GT5. I knew there were problems with a dead zone, but I'm not happy with how it drives and am considering returning it.

When I drive straight I start to get a see-saw movement back and forth as it seems to hit the edge of the dead zone swerving me back the other way. It's worse at high speeds. Otherwise the wheel is pretty smooth in a turn. It's just isn't very fun not being able to drive straight and fast on a long straight. I called customer service, they said it was normal. True? Thanks.:)
 
Does it look similar to this?



​


That's apparently perfectly normal. I have a DFGT and the replacement wheel did the same - people on here told me it's normal. I'm not seeing it in F1 2010, tho. So it seems that it's related to GT5 but nothing to worry about. :)
 
It's not the wheel it's the game ffb. In fact Fanatec added dead zone adjustment to their wheels just for GT5 as normal you don't want any input dead zone. All in GT series has this weight shifting ffb effect.
The reason it's worst at higher speed is it less input to shift the car weight at higher speeds.
 
Last edited:
It's not the wheel it's the game ffb. In fact Fanatec added dead zone adjustment to their wheels just for GT5 as normal you don't want any input dead zone. All in GT series has this weight shifting ffb effect.
The reason it worst at high speed is it less input to shift the car weight at higher speeds.

I guess one wouldn't want to take their hands off the wheel anyway when they're coming down the Mulsanne with around 380km/h. :p
 
It's perfectly normal, don't worry about it.
 
Thanks for all of the responses. The youtube video is exactly what it is like. The bouncing back and forth in a straight. I guess it's normal, but kind of annoying to drive like that. Does the thrustmaster wheel eliminate that problem? Thanks again.
 
this dude I drift with online told me of a trick for the g27 on gt5... you gotta have it plugged in before you turn on your ps3. made a world of difference in the way my wheel felt. and another thing is that cars need to be tuned for wheels. all that alignment and suspension ride height and shock adjustments play MAJOR roll in what you feel in the wheel and how the car drives. whole new world!!
 
Thanks for all of the responses. The youtube video is exactly what it is like. The bouncing back and forth in a straight. I guess it's normal, but kind of annoying to drive like that. Does the thrustmaster wheel eliminate that problem? Thanks again.

I'm not completely sure but I think it does since the FFB mechanisms are different.
 
This is completely normal, the movement of the wheel suppose to give you a "FFB" feeling when you hold it.
 
I cant really say without driving with the will. But I have a g27 and yes there is a dead zone which can cause the wheel to rock. However It may be the car and how its set up. check it with a few other cars. when i had a car doing that kind of thing I either let go of the wheel or the setup needed changing on the car
 
this dude I drift with online told me of a trick for the g27 on gt5... you gotta have it plugged in before you turn on your ps3. made a world of difference in the way my wheel felt.

This is very interesting.

How is it different. I read somewhere that tire wear is stronger with a wheel than the six-axis controller. Maybe it has to do with this.

I guess that if you start up the PS3 with the six-axis and then plug in the wheel instead, the PS3 thinks the controller (now the wheel) is a six-axis controller.
 
Try your G27 on any other driving game that supports the wheel and you will find it's just GT that does this.

Your G27 is normal friend.
 
Back