Is My Motherboard Fried?

United States
Athens,Ga
I bought a PC yesterday from a guy, it's a home built, and will not turn on.

I went and bought a new power supply to see if that was the case and still nothing. I have jumped the power supply just to make sure it's good and it is, but when it's connected to the PC nothing happens at all. I've even plugged up a power switch from another case I had to see if the switch was bad, nothing.

Anything else I should check? The main power and 12v power are plugged in, nothing happens.

The good news is for the price I paid a barebone plus the accessories in this one assuming they're not toast wouldn't be bad.

Remove the RAM from the mainboard and see if it beeps.
Also remove the CMOS battery and unplug from the mains for 5minutes.

No luck, I have read if my MB is fried the PSU may still power on or at least kick the fan on. I know it works as I have jumped it off the main connector just to see, the one I removed from the computer seems to also be good. I jumped it too. However once plugged into the MB nothing happens when I switch the computer on. No fan, nothing. I have tried two switches and have checked to make sure they're wired right about 20x now. lol

So I completely disassembled the computer, then put it back together piece by piece just to be sure everything had a tight connection. I had it running but just the case fan, motherboard fan, and power supply. So plugged it all back in and now am getting power for just a split second then it cuts off, I think the CPU 12V 4 prong plug may be fried on the motherboard?

I still get that flash though with or without it attached.

Yup, sounds very fried.

Did you know it had this issue before buying? Did you see it on when you bought it?

I got it on now. Still may be fried though but it does turn on and boot up. The CPU fan sounds like it's slowly building speed like a jet taking off. lol I cut it off before it got too high and I'll go back in and see if I can figure anything else out.

I got it to turn on because one of the screws holding the MB to the case seemed to be causing a short. Removed the screw, fired right up.

No I did not know it had issues it was sold as "new." Like I said though for what I paid I can swap stuff over to a barebone for pretty dang cheap.

What CPU is the board for and what socket? I might have one you can have

Now it sounds like the thermal paste is weak or non existent because it seems that the heat isn't being transferred from the CPU to the heat-sink.

Last edited:
I got that under control, but now no video. Turns on still, but can't see anything. Tried resetting CMOS, nothing. Giving up and buying a barebone with a better MB and processor.

Latest Posts

Back