Is my system messed up?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evil Lair
  • 14 comments
  • 1,209 views
Messages
3
Just got GT4 today and its been amazing, but there is a quirk that I haven't heard anyone talk about so I hope it is just my ps2 or something.

While driving (using the standard controller (and tested with old ps1 controller)) if I turn the wheel past a certain amount the throttle cuts out completely. For example trying to get a rally car to drift around a corner is impossible, because as soon as I throw the rear end around and steer into the turn, the power is cut. It happens trying to go through a fast slalom with a road car, or even in a straight line and cutting the wheel (not even all the way).

If this is how the game is supposed to be, then its going to be an expensive door stop because it is frustrating to no end. :ouch:
 
I've noticed the exact same thing with my DS2 controller. Let me guess, and you doing the B license with the MINI at Tsukuba? Every time I try to gold that test, the cars squeals down to a near stop, and then it literally will not accelerate or even rev back up again until I let off the steering input.
 
neon_duke
I've noticed the exact same thing with my DS2 controller. Let me guess, and you doing the B license with the MINI at Tsukuba? Every time I try to gold that test, the cars squeals down to a near stop, and then it literally will not accelerate or even rev back up again until I let off the steering input.
I know the problem your having. That Mini can't take the wheels being turned too far when accelerating, it just bogs then engine down because it cant accelerate with the turned wheel angle and the speed that your going. To get proper acceleration out a corner you need to slowly straighten your wheel's. Isn't front wheel drive great :lol:
This test is cake with a DFP because you have the better control of turning the wheel less as you exit the corner keeping the car from bogging down. Thats what I always do on exit anyways so it was just that much easier to do. I did it with the DS2 using the analog stick. Much harder to do but can be done with patience, still bogged the engine quite a bit while going back and forth for grip and acceleration.
 
3rdgenracerX
...I did it with the DS2 using the analog stick. Much harder to do but can be done with patience...

Man, I've been using the analog sticks for steering (left) and accel/brake (right) since GT2, maybe even GT1, it is the best way of controlling your car, short of buying a wheel. Tha nalog sticks give you much greater control over the buttons! Maybe if you try that with the Mini it won't slow down due to high steering angles.
 
3rdgenracerX
I know the problem your having. That Mini can't take the wheels being turned too far when accelerating, it just bogs then engine down because it cant accelerate with the turned wheel angle and the speed that your going. To get proper acceleration out a corner you need to slowly straighten your wheel's. Isn't front wheel drive great.

I could live with a system where the application of too much steering input causes a gradual slow-down, or more realisticaly scrubs the front tires/causes a spinout. But what we have is an on/off switch, power/no power. It doesn't make any difference if it is FWD, RWD, or 4WD. Like I said, rallying is close to impossible because you can't drift. It shouldn't matter what the steering wheel is doing, the throttle is completely independent in a real car like it was in previous GT's.

I've absolutely loved every version of GT thats come out previously, it's the only reason I have a PS1 and PS2, but this is a real deal-breaker for me. When a game has me slamming the controller to the ground, I know its time to move on to something else.
 
I have never had that problem ^^^^, I have had my FF cars bog down but that might just be your system.
 
Have you changed the controller setup from the standard? This MAY be your problem.

The only thing I can think of is that you have mapped the steering and accel/break to the same stick, I did that by mistake with the JPN version of the game because I couldn't read the setup screen. And I got just the same thing happen to me, it was fine as long as you moved the right stick only left and right, but if you moved it quickely and knocked it backwards it would cut the power.

Try default settings in the options.
 
in options where tcs and asm is thers a setting for understeer and oversteer set these to zero so the throttle dosent cut off
works good for me
 
Yes that's good I never race with the driver aids on, but you can't turn the damn things off in the licence tests or mission hall, really annoying!
 
As far as rallying goes, I've noticed with a turbo car that when I enter a corner I need to downshift to the correct gear to get the revs up into the turbo's usable range. I was noticing I couldn't go around a "3" corner in third gear, I had to go down to 2 or 1 because when you are sliding sideways the tires slow down and you don't have enough power to get the wheels to spin. Downshift when drifting and then upshift when straightening the car out again.
 
Plopper
Have you changed the controller setup from the standard? This MAY be your problem.

Winnar! Before I even started playing the game I set the right stick to steer and left gas/brake. Setting it to default clears everything up, but I can't steer for crap with my left hand. It appears that the right stick is permanently set for gas/brake for me. 👎
 
ive also run into a problem like this, sortof. i was messing around in my silvia in that parking lot thing i have no driving aids on and i am trying to whip a donught, but all that happenes is the rear tires smoke and the car goes in a circle not like it did in gt3, it seems like the tires in the front are under light braking with sticky a$$ tires, i dont understand.
 
Reading this makes a lil' bit o' physics pop into my mind. If your wheels are absolutely turned to lock. Think about the resistance you'd be putting on the drivetrain. Wouldn't matter if it's FF, FR, 4WD, MR, RR, any of them. Having your wheels thrown that far to the side is always going to put up a lot of resistance. Now, about the difference here between GT4 and previous games, I'm not too sure but I think that previous games automatically corrected or alleviated this by reducing the angle of the tires, despite the fact that the wheel or DS2 is at lock. But in GT4, more realistically, the wheels remain at lock and will slow your car down.
 
It is your ASC or DSC or whatever is controlling your car (I forget what it is called) It reads what you are trying to do and cuts out your engine power. it sucks so I have all of mine turned off ( it is hard to drive without aLOT of pratice) :)
 
There's no option to disable it on the license tests. On my own cars, yes, I have turned all the aids to zero on all cars so far.

I'm ordering a wheel anyway.
 
Back